The official Horror fan topic

Rip

58 minutes ago, radiatorhums said:

I watched Crimes of the Future last night and it's a mild letdown.  It feels a bit more like a rough draft than a finished script.  Still a lot to like if you're a Cronenberg fan, but it's not his strongest outing. 

I've got this sitting on my server to watch; I'll still check it, but that's not the best to hear.

Watched a movie on Amazon Prime last night called “Butterfly Kisses.”  Came out in 2018 and it’s basically a “found footage movie of a guy who finds footage.”  Focuses on a urban legend called the “Blink Man.”  Basically if you stare down this tunnel for an hour, the Blink Man appears and every time you blink he gets closer and closer.  It was fairly original and had a pretty good amount of suspense.  Definitely recommend checking it out if you’re into found footage at all.

5 hours ago, Rip said:

Watched a movie on Amazon Prime last night called “Butterfly Kisses.”  Came out in 2018 and it’s basically a “found footage movie of a guy who finds footage.”  Focuses on a urban legend called the “Blink Man.”  Basically if you stare down this tunnel for an hour, the Blink Man appears and every time you blink he gets closer and closer.  It was fairly original and had a pretty good amount of suspense.  Definitely recommend checking it out if you’re into found footage at all.

Yeah, I dug this one when I watched it last year. Brought some decent ideas to the genre.

I finally got to see Men and overall, really liked it.  Great performances, Garland's visuals are as good as ever and it'll probably leave a lasting impression.  It's pretty heavy handed and I'm not quite sure if I liked that or not (still thinking on it).

I also watched Watcher this weekend and it was enjoyable enough.  A better than average thriller, but nothing new necessarily.

Finally, I watched two turds.  Abandoned  and Revealer.  Neither are worth your time

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I watched Lucio Fulci's Zombi aka Zombie 2 aka Zombie Flesh Eaters aka a few other titles. I loved it in a "where has this movie been all my life!" kinda way. I enjoy the odd zombie movie but I'm typically more of a slasher fan.  This one hit the spot, for some reason. I really enjoyed the gross design of the zombies (even though they were all kinda the same),  I liked the various settings and the more absurd elements of the movie (topless scuba diver watching a zombie fight a shark underwater!!).  I feel like this has opened a gateway and I am looking forward to checking out more Italian zombie movies.

I also watched Halloween Kills. A little late to the party on that one but I understand the negative feedback on it now. It felt like I was sitting through a series of forced flashbacks to make up for the lack of story.  The movie just felt kind of tedious to me. Didn't really care for it but hopefully Halloween Ends is better.

I also watched The Burning again because it's back on Shudder. I still like it.

X is on Prime now. Hope to check it out sometime this week.

On 7/26/2022 at 8:23 PM, Han Solo said:

I'm soooo excited. Mia Goth is going to kill it again, and don't even get me started on the symbolism of her playing Pearl when Pearl was so jealous of her original character in the first movie 

She played Old Pearl too, not sure if you knew that and your wording just made me think you missed it or not, but if ya didn’t know then now ya do. I knew they filmed the movies back to back but still didn’t anticipate seeing Pearl so soon. Very exited.

2 hours ago, Rip said:

I think Hatching comes to Hulu tomorrow.  Probably gonna watch that this weekend 

I watched this a while back.  It was fine.  Certainly not what I expected; closer to Greener Grass than horror in my opinion, but the color scheme and repressed dialogue informed that more than the plot (I liked Greener Grass quite a bit more fwiw).

Did you ever watch RRR?!?

I watched both Firestarter movies recently.  I'd never seen the original one, so both were new to me.  I've never gotten the impression that the 1984 one was a great movie, but I was surprised that it was as bad as it was.  As for the 2022 Firestarter, it's borderline unwatchable.  Unless you're a King movie completist, both can probably be avoided.

I watched All About Evil on Shudder earlier today and it was great! Very silly, but very self aware. The cast included Natasha Lyonne, Jack Donner and Elvira even has a role as one of the character's parents. Its just fun. Throw it on if you want something moderately cheesy but with good slasher scenes

On 11/25/2021 at 10:16 PM, iwokeinrelief said:

Not horror, but genre-weirdness and the smartest thing I’ve seen in ages - absolutely check out Beyond the Infinite Two Minutes when you get the chance. It made my head spin a bit when it clicked what the director was doing and just how damn difficult it must have been to pull off. Absolutely wonderful.

This is on Prime now and I still cannot recommended it highly enough. Go in blind if you can, trust me.