The official Horror fan topic

Rip

On 3/29/2022 at 11:32 AM, radiatorhums said:

I watched Offseason last night and thought it was a nice way to spend part of a Monday evening.  Nothing amazing, but if you like 'something weird is going on in this small town' stories, it's worth the watch.

Kids are back in school so I'm getting a bit of time to myself to watch movies again, so I watched this with my pup this morning.  I dug it, agree it was worth watching.

On 7/24/2022 at 5:54 PM, Rip said:

Watched Incantation last night.  Really good with just the right amount of spookiness.  Very easy to compare it to The Medium.  I think in terms story I liked Incantation better.  But when it comes to all-around creepiness, I think The Medium has it beat.

We checked this out last night, it was pretty good. I definitely thought that the medium is better, but this was still enjoyable and had some decent ideas.

11 hours ago, Rip said:

The Innocents is on Shudder now so we watched it today and it was pretty great.  Not a fan of a couple certain scenes, but other than that, it was a cool and original watch.  I would be more specific but I have no idea how to spoiler tag on here.

Scenes that took place in/around the stairwell? 😬

We watched Umma last night; reviews I’d read were not promising, so I held off on renting it, but my wife loves Sandra Oh and it’s on streaming now. It was below average, but at least doesn’t try and pad it’s run time, so the quick 82 minutes was good. Otherwise it was pretty toothless and what eventually is going to happen is telegraphed from the start…

5 hours ago, Rip said:

Yeaaaah.  I’m usually not bothered by that stuff, at least depending on how they go about it.  But that in particular made me super sad and was hard to watch.

Yeah, it was the whole reason I told my wife to steer clear; ultimately it was pretty brief but it stuck with me for a bit.

10 hours ago, Rip said:

God this looks so sick.  I look forward to these guys’ stuff almost as much as Flanagan’s stuff at this point.  Haven’t made a bad thing yet

It’s seriously so great. I cannot wait for the opportunity to watch it a couple more times. I’m not gonna say anymore about it.

I finally got around to watching She Dies Tomorrow. It was interesting. I don’t think it was ever really pushed as a horror movie, maybe just horror-adjacent or sci-fi but it wasn’t really either of those though;  it ends up mostly successful as a philosophical rumination or thought experiment.
I don’t know if I recommend it or not, but I think I liked it. I at least liked that it was something new to me, and I mean that sincerely.

2 hours ago, iwokeinrelief said:

I finally got around to watching She Dies Tomorrow. It was interesting. I don’t think it was ever really pushed as a horror movie, maybe just horror-adjacent or sci-fi but it wasn’t really either of those though;  it ends up mostly successful as a philosophical rumination or thought experiment.
I don’t know if I recommend it or not, but I think I liked it. I at least liked that it was something new to me, and I mean that sincerely.

Woah.  My wife and I actually tried to watch this a few years ago.  We got about 10 minutes in and decided we weren’t really feeling it and then never went back to it.  Might have to try again sometime soon.

On 6/27/2022 at 1:03 PM, radiatorhums said:

I also watched Watcher this weekend and it was enjoyable enough.  A better than average thriller, but nothing new necessarily.

We watched this last night and it was fine. It’s pretty straightforward - and yeah, nothing new here - but I guess it was enjoyable enough.

We started watching Wellington Paranormal and are all caught up to “live” now - great funny show. Also very excited for series 2 of Los Espookys starting next month!

Not horror at all but we finally started checking out the Apple TV+ series Mythic Quest and love it so far.

We watched the isolation/quarantine-produced found footage film “He’s Watching” last night; I really liked it, and was unsettled through most of it so it’s effective. We had to rent it, doesn’t appear to be available on streaming yet.

Couple caveats - It does veer into student-film / arthouse fare on occasions (which I enjoy, but certainly not for everyone) + it probably goes on a bit too long.

Regardless, I recommend it.

1 hour ago, iwokeinrelief said:

We watched the isolation/quarantine-produced found footage film “He’s Watching” last night; I really liked it, and was unsettled through most of it so it’s effective. We had to rent it, doesn’t appear to be available on streaming yet.

Couple caveats - It does veer into student-film / arthouse fare on occasions (which I enjoy, but certainly not for everyone) + it probably goes on a bit too long.

Regardless, I recommend it.

First I’m hearing about this one.  I looked it up and it sounds really good.  I’ll have to check it out.

Had a weekend at home and got some movies watched.

Nope - I thought it was kind of bogged down in the first half, but the back half was great!  Once it got moving, I really enjoyed it.

Glorious - This was enjoyable enough.  It probably would've worked better as a 45 minute episode of Creepshow (or something similar) though.

Mad God - Was really impressed by this!  I kind of spaced out and took it all in.  I know there isn't a ton of plot to it, but don't think I could really explain what was going on :)

14 minutes ago, Rip said:

Watched “Watcher” last night.  I really enjoyed it.  Wasn’t necessarily “original” but the performances and atmosphere were great and it built tension pretty well too.  Definitely recommend 

I watched it a while back and liked it quite a bit too.  I also recommend it!

Speaking of new releases, have any of you guys heard about "The Third Saturday in October"?

https://bloody-disgusting.com/reviews/3720933/the-third-saturday-in-october-review-the-slasher-homage-experiments-with-nostalgia/

It's a slasher movie in a "series" that skips from Part 1 to Part 5 and seems to be an homage to 80's movies. It's been making rounds through film festivals bit I haven't heard anything about it hitting streaming services yet. It's had some mixed reviews but I'm intrigued.