The Official Horror Thread

Rip

8 minutes ago, Subdomestic said:

Speaking of new releases, have any of you guys heard about "The Third Saturday in October"?

https://bloody-disgusting.com/reviews/3720933/the-third-saturday-in-october-review-the-slasher-homage-experiments-with-nostalgia/

It's a slasher movie in a "series" that skips from Part 1 to Part 5 and seems to be an homage to 80's movies. It's been making rounds through film festivals bit I haven't heard anything about it hitting streaming services yet. It's had some mixed reviews but I'm intrigued.

First I’m seeing anything on this. I’ll probably check it out when it hits streaming; I’m a big Alabama fan so I’ll check it out for that odd-tie-in if for no other reason 😂

Been in a horror mood recently so I’ll be making my way through the recs on this page. Watched Last Night in Soho and found it pretty disappointing. Also saw The Lure, which is a foreign film that’s been on my list for awhile and just popped up on HBOMax. It’s interesting in a “what if t.A.T.u. made horror musical out of The Little Mermaid?” kind of way. Also tried A Field Guide to Evil, but none of the stories really grabbed me. 

On 9/7/2022 at 12:01 PM, Rip said:

First episode of 101 Greatest Horror Moments is up on Shudder now!  Can’t wait to check it out.  I’m a sucker for countdown shows like this.

Watched this last night. It was good! Gives decent context to the "moment" without being too spoilery.  Best part, as always, is learning about new movies I haven't heard of. Pulse, aka Kairo (2001) and The Orphanage (2007) are on my list to look out for. Some new commentators beyond the usual Shudder crew - I liked hearing from Andy Muschietti.

Also over the last few weeks I watched:

The House on Sorority Row (1982). Not the exploitation flick I was expecting. I actually really enjoyed this movie and found it had an "I Know What You Did Last Summer" vibe. Really liked it and it inspired me to check out...

Sorority Row (2009). Did not care for it. Maybe it's because it's from that era where protagonists were all gorgeous snarky smart asses and you rooted for them to get killed. Compared to the 1982 film where I felt bad that the characters were being picked off one by one in an atmosphere of dread, I felt zero attachment to any of these characters. Then, when it came to the reveal of the killer I was just unimpressed. 

Honeydew (2021). Good movie but I got hung up on how much I did not like the music. I think it could have felt like a totally different movie without the "quirky" music. 

Watcher (2022). This was mentioned a couple pages back and I completely agree - not terribly original but really well done. Kept me interested the whole time. Worth a watch.

1 hour ago, Subdomestic said:

Watched this last night. It was good! Gives decent context to the "moment" without being too spoilery.  Best part, as always, is learning about new movies I haven't heard of. Pulse, aka Kairo (2001) and The Orphanage (2007) are on my list to look out for. Some new commentators beyond the usual Shudder crew - I liked hearing from Andy Muschietti.

You gotta!  Pulse and Orphanage are both so so good.

Saw Barbarian today and thought it was just OK. Intriguing premise and good performances, but I just didn’t like the way the story was told and without getting too spoilery there was one character I didn’t think needed to be there at all. Could have been a cool tight 80-90 minute movie but it wasn’t. 

The Dahmer show is very heavy and difficult to watch. I had to pause it a few times in the first episode alone, but its very good. It truly reflects how much of a piece of shit the guy was, so I think the current debate on social media about the show glorifying him is misleading. Would recommend watching an episode of a more lighthearted show afterwards lol

Edited by Han Solo

21 hours ago, Han Solo said:

The Dahmer show is very heavy and difficult to watch. I had to pause it a few times in the first episode alone, but its very good. It truly reflects how much of a piece of shit the guy was, so I think the current debate on social media about the show glorifying him is misleading. Would recommend watching an episode of a more lighthearted show afterwards lol

Just came to post about this.  Wife and I finished it this morning and yeah, I was blown away with how “good” it was.  Considering Ryan Murphy is attached to it, I didn’t have high hopes at all, but I was pleasantly surprised.  Not sure why all of his other shows can’t be like that.

But yeah.  Definitely doesn’t glorify him like most other serial killer-related shows/movies tend to do with those people.  I felt like it was about the victims and how their families were effected than anything.  Evan Peters gave one hell of a performance though, holy shit.  And Richard Jenkins is always top-tier in anything he’s in.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2022 at 6:03 PM, Subdomestic said:

Watcher (2022). This was mentioned a couple pages back and I completely agree - not terribly original but really well done. Kept me interested the whole time. Worth a watch.

I'm wondering if the TV series will be better. The cast is incredible. I haven't seen the movie but I just read The Cut's article about it.
https://www.thecut.com/article/the-haunting-of-657-boulevard-in-westfield-new-jersey.html

On 9/23/2022 at 9:09 AM, Han Solo said:

Pearl was fantastic and I have so much love for it, but without spoilers I will just note the monologue, the end credits, and the Disney-princess gone wrong vibe at the beginning. Give Mia Goth an Oscar 

YES these are the scenes that I won't forget. It makes you feel like you're watching a boring 1920s drama gone horribly, horribly, wrong.

4 hours ago, N8TRU said:

I'm wondering if the TV series will be better. The cast is incredible. I haven't seen the movie but I just read The Cut's article about it.
https://www.thecut.com/article/the-haunting-of-657-boulevard-in-westfield-new-jersey.html

Nice, that cast does look stacked. I will probably check that out on the 13th.

Also, The Midnight Club starts this Friday on Netflix. Looking forward to that as well.

Watched the new Scream last night, which just popped up on Showtime recently. It was OK. Thought some of the acting was kinda iffy, but it was pretty fun. 

Have a long list of movies in my queue this month that I never got around to including The Night House, in the Earth, Titane, His House, Possessor, and Audition (somehow never seen it!). Should be fun. 

2 hours ago, dawhizz said:

Have a long list of movies in my queue this month that I never got around to including The Night House, in the Earth, Titane, His House, Possessor, and Audition (somehow never seen it!). Should be fun. 

All very, very good!  Gonna be a good next few days for horror fans.  New season of Chucky, Midnight Club, and Hellraiser.

New HELLRAISER was pretty good. As a hardcore all things Clive Braker fanboy, I found the new movie to be a good homage and expansion of the mythos & updated for current times & themes. Although the shadow of the original looms largely over, the new one was still enjoyable throughout. 

Also, watched The Black Phone recently as well. I found it to be fantastic. Ethan Hawke was incredible. 

8 hours ago, Rip said:

New Hellraiser was pretty good.  Got a few episodes of The Midnight Club left.  Really awesome.  Makes me wanna read the book.

I'm two episodes into The Midnight Club now. It's better than I thought it was going to be. I don't know where they're headed with Ilonka's visions and the history of the house, but I am really liking the story telling segments.

We watched Deadstream on Shudder last night - found footage film with a heavy dose of Evil Dead 2 - esque silliness.  I enjoyed it fine for what it is; the location they used is super creepy, but it never gets overly scary (boo); it does a decent enough job of balancing being unnerving and funny though.  It's worth a free watch.

Don't think I'm going to get my 31 movies in this month due to family visiting and a trip, but I had a pretty good start!

Sissy (was more of a dark comedy than a horror movie, but I'm counting it)

Children of the Corn

Sorority House Massacre

Pearl

Pumpkinhead

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)

I fell asleep watching Hellraiser last night, but I liked the half I saw.  Stoked to finish it!

• Rip changed the title to The Official Horror Thread