The official Horror fan topic

Rip

21 hours ago, radiatorhums said:

I watched Something in the Dirt on NYE and thought it was great!  Don't think Benson/Moorehead fans will be disappointed.

It’s so great, a good step back up from Synchronic, which I enjoyed but no where near to the level of their other stuff. I never thought I’d see a cinematic palimpsest, but here we are.

2 hours ago, iwokeinrelief said:

Going to catch Skinamarink at my local arthouse in a couple hours. I’m pretty sure / hoping it’ll play better in a completely dark room with booming sound, but I suppose I’ll see!

We were thinking about seeing it this weekend but ultimately decided against it.  There was only one showtime on both Friday and today (7:05pm) and after even knowing the littlest bit about it, we figured it wouldn’t be a great idea to see it in theaters.  Just had a bad feeling it would be one of those cases where a bunch of people go to see it who have no idea what they’re getting into, end up hating it, which then makes the experience miserable for everyone else.  So we’re just gonna hang tight for the Shudder release hopefully sooner rather than later.

We did randomly watch The Vigil on Hulu today though.  It was alright.

13 hours ago, Rip said:

We were thinking about seeing it this weekend but ultimately decided against it.  There was only one showtime on both Friday and today (7:05pm) and after even knowing the littlest bit about it, we figured it wouldn’t be a great idea to see it in theaters.  Just had a bad feeling it would be one of those cases where a bunch of people go to see it who have no idea what they’re getting into, end up hating it, which then makes the experience miserable for everyone else.  So we’re just gonna hang tight for the Shudder release hopefully sooner rather than later.

We did randomly watch The Vigil on Hulu today though.  It was alright.

I can see that logic.

Ours was a 930 showing, which my local had screenings for a few nights this past week, but only 930 showings.

It was pretty well sold, not sold out but fairly full, and I don’t think there was any issue whatsoever with our crowd. I was also a little worried about that, having seen it already, and knowing that it’s certainly a bit more blurry and art house than people might expect, but crowd was really receptive and had some really good interaction / reactions on some of the creepier/scarier parts, and it was overall a fun experience. I’m not sure if I liked it any *more* seeing it in the theater or not, but it was fun to get out anyway.

My wife and I watch The Vigil back in 2020? 2021? Whenever it came out, and we enjoyed it quite a bit. 

I saw Skinamarink last night as well and really enjoyed it. I found that the more you immersed yourself and didn’t try to force a narrative, the more you got out of it. My crowd was also receptive to the scarier bits and it was nice to be able to have a Q and A with the director afterwards! Definitely helps you understand his artistic process. Basically the entire movie I just felt very, very, uncomfortable. 

• 3 weeks later...

Watched Piggy and Dashcam yesterday.  Piggy was great.  Definitely wasn’t what I was expecting but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

I personally really liked Dashcam.  Main girl was definitely annoying (which seems to be most people’s complaint) and her “humor” kind of took my out of a lot of the scarier moments, but it was good for what it was.

Oh I completely forgot to mention that we watched Skinamarink a couple weekends ago.  I definitely liked it.  My only actual complaint is the length.  It was waaaay longer than it needed to be.  I think an hour 10/hour 20 would’ve been the perfect length.  But I loved how much Lynch vibes I was getting throughout the whole thing.

Just saw that Something in the Dirt is up on Hulu now as well so definitely gonna watch that the next chance we get.

Watched Piggy and Dashcam yesterday.  Piggy was great.  Definitely wasn’t what I was expecting but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

I personally really liked Dashcam.  Main girl was definitely annoying (which seems to be most people’s complaint) and her “humor” kind of took my out of a lot of the scarier moments, but it was good for what it was.

Oh I completely forgot to mention that we watched Skinamarink a couple weekends ago.  I definitely liked it.  My only actual complaint is the length.  It was waaaay longer than it needed to be.  I think an hour 10/hour 20 would’ve been the perfect length.  But I loved how much Lynch vibes I was getting throughout the whole thing.

Just saw that Something in the Dirt is up on Hulu now as well so definitely gonna watch that the next chance we get.

Also, really thinking about doing a free trial of Screambox just to watch The Outwaters.  Looks crazy and I’ve heard great things.

I think I liked the concept and execution of Possessor more than Infinity Pool, but I ended up watching the latter last night.  It was still entertaining and hearing Hecker’s music in widescreen was pretty surreal.  (I know he scored The North Water last year, but I haven’t seen it.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Han Solo said:

My recents have been:

Orphan: First Kill

Smile

The Last Shift 

Cujo

The Offering

I loved The Last Shift.  Are you excited for Malum?  I think it looks crazy.  At first I thought it was weird that the director was remaking his own movie so soon but it looks like it’ll be worth it.

19 hours ago, Rip said:

I loved The Last Shift.  Are you excited for Malum?  I think it looks crazy.  At first I thought it was weird that the director was remaking his own movie so soon but it looks like it’ll be worth it.

I'm very excited for Malum! I really liked the Last Shift, but I wish they had taken it further and it was a little more refined ya know? It had a ton of potential but didn't quite get there as much as I wanted it to. I think a bigger budget will help and I'm looking forward to see how Malum builds on the original story

Edited by Han Solo

• 2 weeks later...