The Official Horror Thread

Rip

I forget the "twist" exactly, or whatever you wanna call it, but it has something to do with one of the women who live in the house actually being specially trained in combat or something, so things actually get turned around on the intruders.

Don't worry. That wasn't a spoiler or anything, it's been common knowledge about it for quite a while.

Plus the director directed segments from V/H/S, V/H/S-2, and he directed the letter Q segment from The ABC's Of Death. He was ALSO the main guy in the first segment of V/H/S-2.

• 4 weeks later...

Downloaded and watched this weekend:

Evil Dead (2013) -Really enjoyed this movie... much more than I expected to. I loved all the nods to the original, while making a somewhat serious version of the classic. Decent gore effects, fun to watch.

The Purge -This movie is so fucking frustrating. It was a really good idea and there were some very entertaining sequences and moments in the film. Overall though,  I was just mad at the characters and their decisions. It didn't feel at all like those are decisions that a rational person would make in the same situation.

1: Why did anyone other than the Dad have the password to the super crazy security system that is the only thing keeping this family safe during The Purge?

2: Why would a kid as old as the son is not understand the seriousness of the events of the night? He seemed very naive for as old as he appeared to be. A much younger child might have made the decisions that the kid did, but otherwise it felt forced.

3: In a society that is as desensitized to killing as this society would have to be (watching The Purge events on TV and talking about/dealing with the aftereffects each year) why would the choice of saving your family vs. sacrificing a stranger be such a hard choice?  This is where I was so frustrated. They acted like it was such a tough choice, but I don't understand why. In a society like ours today, sure. Giving a stranger to a mob knowing he'd be killed would be a very hard decision to make. In a world where once a year murder is legal and people watch it on TV for entertainment... who cares? Thousands of people die every year during The Purge, this mob is outside your home threatening your entire family... and you balk at the chance to save them because you don't feel it's right? Most of your life you've been taught how it's good for the country. I think most people in today’s society would have given up the man (even knowing it's wrong) let alone in this world where it's encouraged to go out and participate in The Purge.

4. Why did the wife decide to let everyone go at the end? So you're just going to live next to these people who tried to kill you and your children like it's no big deal? As if they aren't going to harbor the same hatred and resentment they had before and even more so now?

Lords of Salem - Disappointing. Slow. Very little plot. No real explanation of what was happening and a sort of weird ambiguous ending. I wanted to like this film and really didn't. Plus, as good as Rob Zombie visuals usually are, and as good as the atmosphere was towards the beginning of the film... what the fuck was up with the "Devil" like creatures. The first one that appeared in her apartment as a shadow looked the silhouette of Harry from Harry and the Hendersons... and later the creature that impregnated the girl (I think) looked like the alien from the beginning of Night of the Creeps. Almost low budget 80's creature effects looking. I really enjoyed the start of this movie and it wore me down very quickly. At the end I didn't care what happened as long as it ended.

I watched Room 237 last night, which is a documentary on the hidden things in the Shining. It was pretty interesting, but couldn't shake the "these people have way too much time on their hands and are definitely looking too hard at it" feeling.

http://youtu.be/khPPlvMnaV0   - Trailer

I fucking loved that movie. They dissected the film like you dissect a novel in literature class. Even if it seems like these people have way too much time on their hands, the ideas and theories that they come up with are so fucking cool. I still can't get over the whole Apollo landing coincidences that were in the film. It really blew my mind and I don't think I will ever watch the movie the same way ever again...

If you are into critical theory and hidden symbolism in film and literature you should see it...

if not then you are going to be bored to tears...and will probably think the people explaining their theories are insane...haha

I saw VHS2 a week or too ago through Amazon's early instant stream of it. I enjoyed it a lot. The first story was great and really well shot. The second short was kind of meh for me, it felt a bit out of place. The third one was really heavy. I didn't like the end of it too much. The last short was fun, albeit hollow. Excited for them to make more of these. 

I can't wait for You're Next though.

• 3 weeks later...

Watched Hell Baby last night.

This is a horror-comedy with Rob Corddry, Leslie Bibb, Paul Scheer, Riki Lindholm, Rob Huebel, Tom Lennon... etc.

I really enjoyed it. Lots of good laughs and sight gags. Basically if you like comedy like Reno 911 or other movies Tom Lennon has written you'll dig it.

I torrented a really good quality copy, but it's also onDemand if you'd rather pay for it.

This is a horror-comedy with Rob Corddry, Leslie Bibb, Paul Scheer, Riki Lindholm, Rob Huebel, Tom Lennon... etc.

I really enjoyed it. Lots of good laughs and sight gags. Basically if you like comedy like Reno 911 or other movies Tom Lennon has written you'll dig it.

I torrented a really good quality copy, but it's also onDemand if you'd rather pay for it.

Just posted about this in the "Recently Watching" thread.  Really funny movie, great cast, some really hilarious one liners.  

"I'm really tired of being startled!"

Forgot all about this.  I remember reading about it months ago!  Definitely gonna have to check it out!

• 2 weeks later...

I just got tickets to an Italian horror marathon at a local theater. 9 hours of movies! They're playing: Killer Fish, Deep Red, Women's Prison Massacre, Burial Ground, and The Gates of Hell.

An Italian horror marathon with no Luccio Fulci?  Crazy!  The Gates of Hell is awesome though.  Have fun dude.

• 1 month later...
  • Rip changed the title to The Official Horror Thread