The official Horror fan topic

Rip

Lol that "Chucky's gonna be a bro" line killed me when I first heard it.  I was like... no fucking way!

But I did enjoy Bride.  It obviously didn't take itself as seriously as the past 3.  Well... as serious as a doll becoming possessed by a serial killer and then coming to life and killing people.  But for what it was, I thought it was a lot of fun.  Same with Seed.  Definitely not my favorite at all.  Probably my least favorite, but I do still enjoy it.

Hopefully gonna be picking up the DVD of Curse Of Chucky this Tuesday, so I'll share my thoughts on that when the time comes!  I kind of wish I didn't have all the other films already so I could by the whole big boxset that's coming out Tuesday!  I still might anyways, haha.

Late to this thread but went back through a bit and man I'm stoked to see love for Martyrs on here! I wish more people knew about it. Awesome story, awesome movie. The first time I saw it when the plot twist came I was just like, what in the freakin heck?? Died a little inside when I found out the American adaptation is going to be from the producers that did Twilight though. The director wants to give a "glimmer of hope" at the end of it and it's like he completely missed the point of the original. In a way the original kind of subtly offers one anyway? Not sure if I'll bother with it.

Way into the [REC] series too. Wasn't too hype on 3 but at least they have the original director back for 4 so when it finally comes out next year hopefully it'll be really good. If you dig [REC] you should check out The Tunnel. It's like the Australian equivalent. Not sure if I like it as much but it's definitely worth at least one watch. I got into the Grave Encounters movies too, cheesy as they are. The blatantly obvious parody they made of Ghost Adventures in the beginning of the first one absolutely killed me haha. I just get into found footage style movies in general.

If you're into foreign horror and haven't seen it, check out Noroi. The pacing is really slow which kinda turned me off, it's not a shock till you drop jump scare extravaganza but it gets to be a seriously unsettling mockumentary if you like that stuff.

Way into the [REC] series too. Wasn't too hype on 3 but at least they have the original director back for 4 so when it finally comes out next year hopefully it'll be really good.

I liked [REC] a lot.  I've been meaning to watch the other two, but haven't gotten around to it.  I really want to set aside 5-6 hours and watch them back to back.  Good to hear the original director will be back for 4, I love what he did on Sleep Tight.  I'll keep an eye out for The Tunnel, I have plenty of spare time for movies right now.

Very late to this thread but good recommendations guys!

A few of my own I haven't seen mentioned. 

House-A crazy Japanese horror film with a piano that fucking eats people. 

The Innocents- Old, old movie. Based on "The turning of the screw". 

The Devils Backbone- Early Del Toro film. The companion piece to "Pan's Labyrinth."

Anyone see Insidious 2? I think I am the lone person who enjoyed that film. Really loved the conjuring too. 

Late to this thread but went back through a bit and man I'm stoked to see love for Martyrs on here! I wish more people knew about it. Awesome story, awesome movie. The first time I saw it when the plot twist came I was just like, what in the freakin heck?? Died a little inside when I found out the American adaptation is going to be from the producers that did Twilight though. The director wants to give a "glimmer of hope" at the end of it and it's like he completely missed the point of the original. In a way the original kind of subtly offers one anyway? Not sure if I'll bother with it.

Way into the [REC] series too. Wasn't too hype on 3 but at least they have the original director back for 4 so when it finally comes out next year hopefully it'll be really good. If you dig [REC] you should check out The Tunnel. It's like the Australian equivalent. Not sure if I like it as much but it's definitely worth at least one watch. I got into the Grave Encounters movies too, cheesy as they are. The blatantly obvious parody they made of Ghost Adventures in the beginning of the first one absolutely killed me haha. I just get into found footage style movies in general.

If you're into foreign horror and haven't seen it, check out Noroi. The pacing is really slow which kinda turned me off, it's not a shock till you drop jump scare extravaganza but it gets to be a seriously unsettling mockumentary if you like that stuff.

I've seen The Tunnel and from what I remember I really did like it.  It's been a while though, I need to watch it again!  And I loved Noroi.  Saw it a year or two ago.  I loved it.  Definitely one of the creepiest movies I've seen.

Very late to this thread but good recommendations guys!

A few of my own I haven't seen mentioned.

House-A crazy Japanese horror film with a piano that fucking eats people.

The Innocents- Old, old movie. Based on "The turning of the screw".

The Devils Backbone- Early Del Toro film. The companion piece to "Pan's Labyrinth."

Anyone see Insidious 2? I think I am the lone person who enjoyed that film. Really loved the conjuring too.

the conjuring was great!

I watched V/H/S/2 last night.  The third 'story' was easily strongest, but I liked it as a whole quite a bit.  Found footage horror movies have worn out there welcome for me, but I don't mind it so much in this series.  I think it's the short film collection aspect of it that makes it work for me.

Found footage is definitely getting to be oversaturated but I still really get into the style. It's easier to suspend disbelieve and empathize with that stuff you know? I can get engrossed in the story and mythos of the horror since it feels more real than something with big name actors that's overproduced and just too clean looking. I want a scary movie to feel like it was made in my neighbors' basement where shit could come after me, not Hollywood.

Found footage is definitely getting to be oversaturated but I still really get into the style. It's easier to suspend disbelieve and empathize with that stuff you know? I can get engrossed in the story and mythos of the horror since it feels more real than something with big name actors that's overproduced and just too clean looking. I want a scary movie to feel like it was made in my neighbors' basement where shit could come after me, not Hollywood.

I can understand that and agree with it for the most part.  I think my biggest problem with found footage is that lately it seems to be more of a budget choice as opposed to a stylistic choice.  A lot of the time when I'm watching a found footage film, I can't help feeling that I'd enjoy it a lot more if it was filmed in a traditional manner.

Apparently they are considering found footage style for the next Friday the 13th sequel and I couldn't be more bummed. Mostly because I know its got nothing to do with a filmmaker saying "I have an idea for a found footage Friday the 13th" and everything to do with producers trying to get the budget as low as possible.

I mean, I'm still going to see it, but I'll probably whine about it on the internet some more. Hell, it could even be good.

• 10 months later...

Anyone catch Bobcat Goldthwait's new film Willow Creek yet?

There was a screening down the road from me about a year ago and I didn't know until the night before so I couldn't get off work. Bobcat was there for a Q&A too.

I'm glad this thread got bumped because I forgot about it and was toying with the idea of starting a horror thread soon. Everyone pumped for October? Horror movies all day every day. I managed 30 last year which was one short of my goal of one every day. I hope to beat that this year.

Posted this in the other thread, may as well paste it here too,

I watch a lot of horror movies. A lot. There has been a lot of good low budget, off the grid stuff that has come out lately. Here are a few rad ones I think should be caught:
- 13 Sins- manipulative horror, aka Would You Rather or Cheap Thrills 
- Jug Face- backwoods voodoo done very intelligently. Rosemary's Baby meets Deliverance
- Open Grave- twisty turny virus infused flick that takes the already overdone genre in an interesting direction
- The Battery- zombie flick that focuses less on the undead and more on the bond between the seemingly last two men left alive. Also, one of the best soundtracks I've heard in some time. 
We Are What We Are- a daughter deciding between a dark tradition and her own identity. Really intelligently done.
100 Bloody Acres- Austrailian horror comedy done well
The Sacrament- Ti West (House of the Devil, the Inkeepers) really can't do any wrong 
Oculus- cheesy, predictable garbage. Avoid at all costs.
As Above So Below- see above 

I agree, there hasn't been a movie to legitimately scare me in over a decade.  Silent House was pretty intense and almost did the job, but that's about as close as it's gotten.