The Official Horror Thread

Rip

Everyone pumped for October? Horror movies all day every day. I managed 30 last year which was one short of my goal of one every day. I hope to beat that this year.

Love that time of year. I take a sick day or two leading up to Halloween so I can stay home/up late watching horror movies.

About Ronnie's post:

13 Sins: watched it on Netflix with my girlfriend cause we saw the trailer before we watched Blue Ruin (which she hated, I loved it but she was bored out of her mind). I really liked it. Definitely gave me a Cheap Thrills vibe.

Jug Face: bought this on DVD when it came out. The trailer looked awesome plus two people from the movie The Woman were in it and I absolutely loved that. Overall it was pretty good. I wanted it to be a lot more creepier/freakier than it was though.

Open Grave: have it but haven't watched it yet.

The Battery: I've heard great things. It's in my Amazon wish list to pick up when it comes out.

We Are What We Are: pretty good. After all this time I still can't decide if I like it better than the original though. At this moment I'm leaning towards the original being better.

100 Bloody Acres: don't think I've heard of this one. I'll look into it though!

The Sacrament: absolutely loved it. I love anything that Ti West does. He's one of my favorite current directors.

Oculus: been wanting to see it.

As Above So Below: also been wanting to see it. I've heard mixed things about both this and Occulus. Hopefully I'll be able to make an opinion of my own here soon.

Okay, I don't know if it necessarily qualifies as horror, but has anyone seen Antiviral? I know it had very mixed reception, but I thought it was pretty well done. The concept was definitely more fucked up than anything that actually happened in the movie, but it was still fun to watch.

I liked it. It's the kind of movie I was David Cronenberg was still doing, but I guess his son doing it is better than nothing.

I've found that as an adult horror movies just don't scare me anymore. They might startle me with the gimmicky "LOUD NOISE AND SUDDEN MOVEMENT ON THE SCREEN!" stuff but nothing really SCARES me anymore. I keep hoping something will unnerve me or really get under my skin. Of course I still absolutely love horror movies because their so fun, but I doubt I'll ever recapture that feeling of watching one as a kid.

Okay, I don't know if it necessarily qualifies as horror, but has anyone seen Antiviral? I know it had very mixed reception, but I thought it was pretty well done. The concept was definitely more fucked up than anything that actually happened in the movie, but it was still fun to watch.

I LOVE Antiviral. One of my recent favorites.

I liked it. It's the kind of movie I was David Cronenberg was still doing, but I guess his son doing it is better than nothing.

I've found that as an adult horror movies just don't scare me anymore. They might startle me with the gimmicky "LOUD NOISE AND SUDDEN MOVEMENT ON THE SCREEN!" stuff but nothing really SCARES me anymore. I keep hoping something will unnerve me or really get under my skin. Of course I still absolutely love horror movies because their so fun, but I doubt I'll ever recapture that feeling of watching one as a kid.

Have you seen The Sacrament yet? It's based on a true story and it's incredibly well done/fucked up. Kill List is really good too.

About Ronnie's post:

13 Sins: watched it on Netflix with my girlfriend cause we saw the trailer before we watched Blue Ruin (which she hated, I loved it but she was bored out of her mind). I really liked it. Definitely gave me a Cheap Thrills vibe.

Jug Face: bought this on DVD when it came out. The trailer looked awesome plus two people from the movie The Woman were in it and I absolutely loved that. Overall it was pretty good. I wanted it to be a lot more creepier/freakier than it was though.

Open Grave: have it but haven't watched it yet.

The Battery: I've heard great things. It's in my Amazon wish list to pick up when it comes out.

We Are What We Are: pretty good. After all this time I still can't decide if I like it better than the original though. At this moment I'm leaning towards the original being better.

The Sacrament: absolutely loved it. I love anything that Ti West does. He's one of my favorite current directors.

Oculus: been wanting to see it.

As Above So Below: also been wanting to see it. I've heard mixed things about both this and Occulus. Hopefully I'll be able to make an opinion of my own here soon.

Seems like you have good taste, therefore, I must reiterate, do not see Oculus, The Conjuring, As Above So Below, Insidious, basically any of this garbage Hollywood is pumping out under the umbrella term of horror.  These are nothing but wastes of your time and/or bandwidth.

Seems like you have good taste, therefore, I must reiterate, do not see Oculus, The Conjuring, As Above So Below, Insidious, basically any of this garbage Hollywood is pumping out under the umbrella term of horror.  These are nothing but wastes of your time and/or bandwidth.

I agree.  The Conjuring wasn't anything I hadn't seen a dozen times before, completely forgettable.  Bummed to hear that Oculus isn't good.  Already on my computer, so I guess I'll watch it eventually.

I liked it quite a bit, I second the recommendation.

Seems like you have good taste, therefore, I must reiterate, do not see Oculus, The Conjuring, As Above So Below, Insidious, basically any of this garbage Hollywood is pumping out under the umbrella term of horror. These are nothing but wastes of your time and/or bandwidth.

Actually, Insideous got me. I thought it was a complete mindfuck, but the sequel was a total letdown. The Conjuring, even with the non stop trailors, was a bummer.

Ravenous was rad, super low budget black comedy.

Regarding Netflix; watch Black Death. It's filled with knights and witches and gore. Must see tv!

I wanted to like Black Death a lot more than I did. I remember it having some pretty cool moments but other than those moments I forget everything else about it.

Can anyone recommend a good horror news site? I have Bloody Disgusting in my RSS feed, but I wouldn't mind another one.

Bloody Disgusting is my number 1, check daily site. I honesty don't use anything else.

Any of you guys go to horror conventions or collect horror memorabilia?

Where I live in NJ is about five minutes from where Monster Mania is held. I haven't gone as much in recent years because of the inflated costs of autographs as well as a $30 admission fee. I remember going to the first couple MM cons where it cost ten bucks at the door and autographs cost no more than $15 along with a free picture. It's cool that the con has grown I to one of the largest in the country, but I really don't feel the need to go anymore. It's almost always the same guests.

I have been meaning to check out Bizarre AC in atlantic city. Apparently the III edition of that new con is happening this winter.

Where I live in NJ is about five minutes from where Monster Mania is held. I haven't gone as much in recent years because of the inflated costs of autographs as well as a $30 admission fee. I remember going to the first couple MM cons where it cost ten bucks at the door and autographs cost no more than $15 along with a free picture. It's cool that the con has grown I to one of the largest in the country, but I really don't feel the need to go anymore. It's almost always the same guests.

I have been meaning to check out Bizarre AC in atlantic city. Apparently the III edition of that new con is happening this winter.

Yeah, the whole convention industry has gotten pretty bad.  I'm about 5-10 minutes from Monster Mania myself, so I typically go regardless.  I actually travel around the country quite a bit to attend, vend, and/or work these sort of events.  Tomorrow I'm flying out to Indianapolis for www.HorrorHoundWeekend.com

Still have yet to check out Bizarre AC myself; I've heard mixed things about it.

Yeah, the whole convention industry has gotten pretty bad. I'm about 5-10 minutes from Monster Mania myself, so I typically go regardless. I actually travel around the country quite a bit to attend, vend, and/or work these sort of events. Tomorrow I'm flying out to Indianapolis for www.HorrorHoundWeekend.com

Still have yet to check out Bizarre AC myself; I've heard mixed things about it.

I'd love to make it to horror hound weekend someday. horror hound is the best genre magazine in print

I liked Oculus. I like really gruesome / torture stuff, which a lot of the independent horror movies are full of. Fine with being a hollywood schmuck in this case.

I'd love to make it to horror hound weekend someday. horror hound is the best genre magazine in print

I was actually the very first subscriber ever to HorrorHound Magazine lol.  I may be biased, but their shows are the best too.

It's going to be an expensive couple of months...far too many top-notch blu-ray releases on the horizon.  Hopefully the big retailers will have some savvy Halloween sales.

• Rip changed the title to The Official Horror Thread