The Official Horror Thread

Rip

On 1/16/2022 at 8:24 PM, Rip said:

This looks like one to keep an eye out for too: 

I watched this a bit ago: it ended up being both more and less than I was expecting; aligns closer to online-coming-of-age than horror, but is unsettling for large portions and works surprisingly well. I definitely went in with the wrong expectations, so it took a bit to adjust my perspective - once I realized I wasn’t watching an actual horror / supernatural flick the whole thing clicked and became much more uneasy. I can see this one being *really* divisive in the horror scene though, especially because I think the the trailer gives a really incorrect impression of what you’re going to see.

6 hours ago, iwokeinrelief said:

Just wrapped up that Norwegian flick from last year The Innocents (directed by Eskil Vogt who has written for Lars von Trier before).  Just tense as hell for like the last 90 minutes of the movie.  Really well done though.

I gotta check this out.  Sounds really good.

15 hours ago, VickyPepper said:

Just saw the new Scream. I'm not super familiar with the franchise other than the original but I enjoyed it for what it was. The meta commentary and callbacks to the first were a nice touch.

With the exception of Scream 3, the franchise is pretty solid.   I feel like 4 rivals the original.  Haven't seen the new one yet, but I'm looking forward to it!

1 hour ago, radiatorhums said:

With the exception of Scream 3, the franchise is pretty solid.   I feel like 4 rivals the original.  Haven't seen the new one yet, but I'm looking forward to it!

Is 3 totally skippable?  I only saw the first two but was thinking I'll just watch all four of them around the time the new one is up for rental.

53 minutes ago, iwokeinrelief said:

Is 3 totally skippable?  I only saw the first two but was thinking I'll just watch all four of them around the time the new one is up for rental.

I want to say you'd be fine skipping it, but it's also been 3-4 years since I watched all of them in a row.  At a minimum, you should probably read the plot outline on wikipedia before starting 4 haha.

53 minutes ago, radiatorhums said:

I want to say you'd be fine skipping it, but it's also been 3-4 years since I watched all of them in a row.  At a minimum, you should probably read the plot outline on wikipedia before starting 4 haha.

Eh, i'll probably still give it a watch when the time comes, i'm a completist *and* a glutton for punishment 😂

So far today we’ve watched In Fabric and The Faculty.

In Fabric is a weird A24 movie from 2018.  We currently have a Showtime membership which has pretty much every A24 movie so far.  I remembered seeing a trailer for this years ago and wanted to see it.  Never really seen anything like it which is something I guess.  Has its moments but a lot goes unexplained and seems weird for the sake of being weird.  Soundtrack was pretty amazing though.

Not much to say about The Faculty that hasn’t been said already.  Always wanted to see it but never got around to it.  Definitely lived up to the hype.  So many good people in it too.

Oh yeah, also watched Nightmare Alley. Definitely not a horror film by any means but it was good for it being del Toro’s first non-fantasy/horror film.  Wasn’t anywhere near as good as the original, but then again, it wasn’t supposed to be a remake.  More like a “re-adaptation” of the novel and I’ve never read it so for all I know it was closer to the source material than the original film.

Either way, it’s definitely worth checking out if you get a spare 2 and a half hours.

34 minutes ago, Han Solo said:

I tried "Slapface" on Shudder last night while I skimmed through my study notes and I found it pretty enjoyable. Nice allegory for grief and abuse. The monster's appearance was pretty cool too !

I read (this morning) that it’s nihilistically bleak. Fair assessment?

Watched Kandisha on Shudder too.  I’ve personally been a fan of all of Bustillo & Maury’s stuff and this was no different.  Probably my least favorite of all of their stuff so far, but I still enjoyed it nonetheless.  Still wanna see The Deep House even though I haven’t heard great things.

I too watched Slapface this weekend!  I didn't love it, but it was a decent way to spend part of a Friday evening.

I also watched Ebola Syndrome and it's a wild ride!  Mid-90s Chinese splatter film.  It starts strong and mostly maintains that momentum. 

Lastly, I watched The Runner.  More of a music video / horror short hybrid than a proper short film.  I like Boy Harsher enough that I thought it was worth the watch.  It's about 40 minutes and goes pretty quick.

On 2/2/2022 at 10:52 AM, iwokeinrelief said:

I've really enjoyed the first two episodes of All of Us Are Dead - there are some lulls of high school drama (which are fine honestly) but the zombie action is really good, prolonged, and gory.

Wrapped this up tonight. Well worth checking out, really well done, last couple episodes (especially some of the cinematography) are great. Note that it is long though - nearly 12 hours - and the high school drama continues throughout, but I greatly like the characters so I didn’t mind, and found that every episode zipped right the hell along.

• Rip changed the title to The Official Horror Thread