The official Horror fan topic

Rip

My buddy couldn’t swing a movie tonight so I’m likely stuck waiting to watch X at home 🤷‍♂️
Friday night we watched Prevenge on Shudder which was an entertaining enough black comedy, and we watched You Are Not My Mother last night which was a solid Irish horror flick made better by a couple strong performances from the two leads.

Over the weekend we watched Trouble Everyday on Shudder and The Treatment on IMDbTV.

Trouble Everyday was okay.  Wouldn’t really consider it a horror movie, but it had a couple pretty fucked up moments.  It moved along pretty slow too.  Also, Vincent Gallo is such a terrible actor.  The main actress was great though.  Same woman from Inside who’s trying to take the baby.

The Treatment was insane.  Can’t believe that one flew under my radar for 8 years.  It’s a Belgium movie about a police detective who’s brother is kidnapped when he was younger and it goes unsolved.  20 years later a very similar case pops up and he’s trying to figure out if it’s connected.  Highly recommend it.

I watched Offseason last night and thought it was a nice way to spend part of a Monday evening.  Nothing amazing, but if you like 'something weird is going on in this small town' stories, it's worth the watch.

Is anyone watching Severance?  It's easily my favorite show of 2022 (I'm also super behind on a lot of stuff, so bit of a grain of salt haha).  It's more of a dark sci-fi show than horror, but I feel like it's pretty terrifying.  Definitely worth checking out!

17 hours ago, radiatorhums said:

I watched Offseason last night and thought it was a nice way to spend part of a Monday evening.  Nothing amazing, but if you like 'something weird is going on in this small town' stories, it's worth the watch.

Is anyone watching Severance?  It's easily my favorite show of 2022 (I'm also super behind on a lot of stuff, so bit of a grain of salt haha).  It's more of a dark sci-fi show than horror, but I feel like it's pretty terrifying.  Definitely worth checking out!

Dude yesss.  Loving Severance so much.

14 hours ago, Rip said:

Holy fuck.  Ken Russell’s “The Devils” is on Shudder now.  Always wanted to see this because it’s always on “most fucked up horror movies” lists but it hasn’t been available in the US.  Can’t wait to finally watch.

Last Podcast on the Left did a great series on The Devils of Loudun 2-3 years ago and I've been wanting to see that movie since.

Okay so we watched The Devil’s last night and it was uh… underwhelming.  Not as a whole, because the movie itself was actually fantastic.  But in terms of “fucked-up,” it was pretty mild.

Turns out the most fucked up part had been edited out years ago and the only way you can see it is in some kind of documentary about the director or in some out of print DVD release.  Oh well. Like I said, we still enjoyed it quite a bit.  Were just hoping to be more “shocked.”

2 hours ago, Rip said:

Okay so we watched The Devil’s last night and it was uh… underwhelming.  Not as a whole, because the movie itself was actually fantastic.  But in terms of “fucked-up,” it was pretty mild.

Turns out the most fucked up part had been edited out years ago and the only way you can see it is in some kind of documentary about the director or in some out of print DVD release.  Oh well. Like I said, we still enjoyed it quite a bit.  Were just hoping to be more “shocked.”

This is basically what i've read as well.  Even via nefarious means i've yet to find an actual unedited version of this, which is a bummer.  I *do* need to watch this - i skipped last time shudder had it up - but i'm less exicted for it vs if it was the original version.

I loved the Devils! I watched it a few years ago on some random streaming site and many parts of it have stuck with me ever since. I do agree that the censorship on the movie to improve the rating was a bit of a bummer. Apparently *that* scene you're talking about was a key scene. If anyone is able to find a mostly original version please let me know as well!

2 hours ago, iwokeinrelief said:

Only related as bunch of A24 stuff gets discussed here, but any of you catch Everything Everywhere All At Once yet?  I'm not sure I've got enough hyperboles to state how much I loved it; I walked out of the theater positively floating with glee once it was done.

Mike Flanagan tweeted that it was his favorite movie he’s ever seen.  Which is crazy high praise.  I wasn’t sure how I felt about it after first seeing the trailer but from what I’m hearing from everyone, it’s pretty much must see at this point.

Also, “X” goes up on demand on Thursday.  I think the blu-ray already comes out next month too so I might actually just wait for that.

12 minutes ago, Rip said:

Mike Flanagan tweeted that it was his favorite movie he’s ever seen.  Which is crazy high praise.  I wasn’t sure how I felt about it after first seeing the trailer but from what I’m hearing from everyone, it’s pretty much must see at this point.

Also, “X” goes up on demand on Thursday.  I think the blu-ray already comes out next month too so I might actually just wait for that.

I'm honestly in awe of how great Everything Everywhere All At Once was, positively dumbfounded.  I immediately told every one of my friends that they should see it with no hesitation.  It's stunningly great, and I genuinely thought seeing it in the theater only made it better - it's *really* funny and being in a crowd collectively losing their shit only made it all the more enjoyable.

I saw that X is going on demand, so now I'm trying to figure out if I want to drop the $20 on seeing it now or just wait a month or so to where I can rent it for more like $6...  I might drop the extra cash because I want to see it a great deal.

We watched See For Me on Shudder last night and really enjoyed it. About two thirds of the way through my wife said to me “this is very stressful” and I honestly asked how she expected *anything* different from the two line summary of the film. She said she didn’t know, she just expected it to be “kind of dumb” 😂 - its worth a watch; it positively flew through its 90 minute runtime for me.

I watched The Cellar (2022) last night and enjoyed it more than I thought I would.  It's not a great movie by any means, but it was a fun Tuesday night watch.  I was a little tired too, which gave it a bit of a late nite movie feel.  Little bit cheesy and doesn't reinvent the haunted house.  It moves quickly and held my interest almost the whole time.

On 4/15/2022 at 11:01 PM, radiatorhums said:

I watched X tonight and liked it quite a bit!  Very much a spiritual companion to House of the Devil.  It's impressive that West was able to capture the magic of doing a period film that feels like it was made in the time period it takes place in a second time.

(***pulled up the reply box and saw I never hit post on this***)
Agree with the above. Ultimately the time/place thing props the movie up a bit more than the movie itself - which I enjoyed but it did not meet my (admittedly high, possible unreasonably so) expectations. I enjoyed it, I just expected more.

Good to hear on The Cellar; I’ll make it a daytime watch with my dog while everyone else is at school/work 😂

Okay, sorry for back to back posts.

Watched The Cellar and it was fine. Needed to kill 90 minutes because my wife was laid out with a migraine in the bedroom, and this sure took 90 minutes.

We watched You Won’t Be Alone (new Macedonian flick which I think is presently only available for the “in theaters” rental price; I watched it through less savory avenues) and absolutely loved it - it really was phenomenal - beautiful cinematography and soundtrack, a lovely and at times lyrical script - way more arthouse than horror, but for those who love both this is a treat.

Had a mixed bag of a weekend

We're All Going to the World's Fair - Complete miss for me.  I think I was expecting something more straight forward and it very much isn't that.  Seeing comments elsewhere, it seems to be a movie people either love or hate.

Kicking Blood - Didn't care for this either.  It's more of a bland drama with vampires than a horror movie.

The Cursed - This, I liked.  It drags on occasion, but it's there's a lot of gore to make up for it.

The Editor - This was a ton of fun!  A giallo comedy that seems to very much get the genre.  Some awesome practical effects as well.

1 hour ago, radiatorhums said:

We're All Going to the World's Fair - Complete miss for me.  I think I was expecting something more straight forward and it very much isn't that.  Seeing comments elsewhere, it seems to be a movie people either love or hate.

lol - a number of pages back i'd commented on this one: "I can see this one being *really* divisive in the horror scene though, especially because I think the the trailer gives a really incorrect impression of what you’re going to see." I enjoyed it (not a ton, but I did enjoy it) but it certainly took some quick on-the-fly reevaluation of what i expected from it first.

5 hours ago, Rip said:

Another fun looking one from A24.  Can’t wait: 

Pete Davidson! I will keep an eye out for this one. Looks good.

Initially, the trailer made me think of the movie "Body" (2015) but I think it's just the similar titles, the plot involving a dead body in a house, and predominantly female casts. I liked "Body" and think it's a bit better than the 42% it got on Rotten Tomatoes. Three girls  accidentally kill a guy in a house they snuck into and try to plan their way out of it. Not really ground breaking but I thought it was solid.

I am also debating if it's worth paying $15 to rent "X" or just wait until it shows up on some streaming service. I think I'll probably just wait.