Jump to content

The official Horror fan topic


Rip
 Share

Recommended Posts

Watches this week:

-Finally watched [Rec]. Without spoiling, I’m not typically a fan of the kind of genre it ends up being, but I enjoyed it. Not quite as crazy ultimately as I expected based on hearing others talk about it. 
-I guess I’m one of the few who ended up kind of meh on X. Took a long time to get going and when it did I just wasn’t super into it. 

-Caught a wild movie called Braid on Peacock I really enjoyed. Never really seen a horror movie with a comparable premise. Go into it knowing as little as possible. 
-Like Werewolf by Night for what it is. Hope Marvel does more one hour specials like this. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought VHS 99 was pretty meh. The first few minutes are cool and definitely feel like stuff I used to watch in the late 90’s but none of the shorts were better than alright. The last short was by the same guy who stared in / directed Deadstream, and was probably the one I liked the best, but overall it was super underwhelming.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, iwokeinrelief said:

I thought VHS 99 was pretty meh. The first few minutes are cool and definitely feel like stuff I used to watch in the late 90’s but none of the shorts were better than alright. The last short was by the same guy who stared in / directed Deadstream, and was probably the one I liked the best, but overall it was super underwhelming.


One of my biggest disappointments was the last VHS that came out.  Other than the funeral segment, I wasn’t a fan at all.  So pretty much my expectations weren’t high for this new one at all.  I’ll watch it eventually but I’m in no hurry.

 

Grabbed the blu-ray of Bodies Bodies Bodies a couple days ago.  Gonna hopefully get to it this weekend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hardly horror, but its Halloween related and classic so ya know. I'm going to my first live showing of the Rocky Horror Picture Show tomorrow night and I'm stoked. I've never seen it in an actual theatre with the rice, water guns, toast, etc ! Should be a really good, fishnet filled time hahah

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, iwokeinrelief said:

Watched Barbarian last night since it’s on HBO now and thought it was fine? I did enjoy the location / set work quite a bit, but ultimately found it oddly inconsistent in tone and pacing. Again, it was fine, but I thought it would be better based on reception.

Recently watched this too. I actually liked the abrupt cuts and changes in tone. The first act ended and my wife was like, "That's it?" I thought the comedic bits added to the horror and broke it up well.

 

To each their own, of course.

 

I had watched X the night before and it was VERY straightforward and predictable. I still really enjoyed it, great horror flick, but too heavy handed with foreshadowing and everything. I went into both movies knowing very little about either, and I liked the surprises and twists in Barbarian.

Edited by 75 percent oof
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I watched Barbarian too and really liked it as well.  I also went to see Terrifier 2 last weekend and it's so nuts!  Well worth your time and money if you're into practical effects and/or slashers.   Also caught a screening of Night of the Demons and it was a lot of fun seeing that again, forgot that it was more of a horror comedy.   Thought Deadstream was a lot of fun as well, fit the mood I was in perfectly.  Lastly, I watched Run Sweetheart Run.  It starts strong and becomes such a mess at the halfway mark.  It was very enjoyable though, even more-so after it went downhill.

 

Think V/H/S/99 and one of the Friday the 13th movies is on deck for tonight.  Hope everyone has a good Halloween!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just saw that Something in the Dirt has its theatrical release this coming week, highly highly recommend that you check it out if you haven’t had a chance to yet. Benson and Morehead remain my two favorite directors in the speculative space.
 

No movies for me tonight, catching Godspeed you Black Emperor at a local show.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, iwokeinrelief said:

Just saw that Something in the Dirt has its theatrical release this coming week, highly highly recommend that you check it out if you haven’t had a chance to yet. Benson and Morehead remain my two favorite directors in the speculative space.
 

No movies for me tonight, catching Godspeed you Black Emperor at a local show.


Man if that’s playing near me I really wanna try and see it.  Looks insane and they’re also a couple of my favorites in the genre right now.

 

Watched Barbarian, Nope, and Bodies Bodies Bodies the other day.  Really enjoyed all of them a lot.  Nope wasn’t exactly what I was expecting and it’s probably my least favorite of Peele’s movies so far, but it was still good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Wife and I couldn’t decide on anything to watch over the weekend (pretty sure we’ve given up on American Horror Story and unfortunately I can’t bring myself to care about the Chucky series anymore), so we randomly put on Slasher on Netflix.

 

Got through the first season and watched the first episode of the second season.  It’s a pretty fun watch.  Dialogue is pretty cringey, but the effects (which seem to be mostly practical) are awesome.  Not sure how the second season will match up to the first, but I’m looking forward to it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I watched Smile last night and it was pretty bad.  It's technically and visually well made.  The story didn't do much of anything for me though.

 

I watched V/HS/99 a while back and thought the middle three shorts were a lot of fun.  The first and last weren't so good.

 

I've got three episodes of The Midnight Club left and it's a mixed bag for me.  I'm enjoying the main story, but I think the stories they're telling drag the whole thing down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/17/2022 at 10:45 AM, radiatorhums said:

I've got three episodes of The Midnight Club left and it's a mixed bag for me.  I'm enjoying the main story, but I think the stories they're telling drag the whole thing down.

I'll be interested to hear your overall thoughts on this once you're done.  It's my least favorite of the Netflix series he's down, by a fairly decent margin as well.  There are certainly parts of it I enjoyed - my overall response is that it's "fine" but that's about it - but I do have some fairly strong feelings about the last episode.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Okay this is cool.  Gonna have to check it out.  Adult Swim had been teasing their first annual “Yule Log” for a week or so.  They made it seem like one of those “fireplace” things you just put on the TV to set the mood, but turns out it was actually a front for an original horror movie: https://bloody-disgusting.com/reviews/3743342/adult-swims-surprise-horror-movie-the-fireplace-burns-bright-as-a-gonzo-experimental-holiday-classic-review/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/12/2022 at 9:35 AM, Rip said:

Okay this is cool.  Gonna have to check it out.  Adult Swim had been teasing their first annual “Yule Log” for a week or so.  They made it seem like one of those “fireplace” things you just put on the TV to set the mood, but turns out it was actually a front for an original horror movie: https://bloody-disgusting.com/reviews/3743342/adult-swims-surprise-horror-movie-the-fireplace-burns-bright-as-a-gonzo-experimental-holiday-classic-review/

Yeah, I saw this referenced somewhere else this morning and am planning on checking it out in the next couple days.  Was halfway through a movie yesterday when the school called and I had to go pick up a sick kid 😭 so I have to find time to finish that first.  Free time has been crap lately...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I watched Skinamarink last night - viewed/acquired through nefarious means - and it's fine.  It's like 95% arthouse / experimental and 5% horror; I would love the chance to see it in a theater though (I think the theatrical release will be super limited though).  Coming to Shudder sometime next year.

I'm out of the loop so only yesterday heard of the upcoming When Evil Lurks movie (which isn't even wrapped filming) but now it can't get here quick enough.

Edited by iwokeinrelief
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did not expect the adult swim Yule log thing to be as long as it was, but it was an enjoyably ludicrous little ride. Not quite as surreal as the infomercials that they put out years ago, which I liked more, but I still love the sheer audacity of putting something like this as an oddball surprise out into the world.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/16/2022 at 7:33 PM, iwokeinrelief said:

I did not expect the adult swim Yule log thing to be as long as it was, but it was an enjoyably ludicrous little ride. Not quite as surreal as the infomercials that they put out years ago, which I liked more, but I still love the sheer audacity of putting something like this as an oddball surprise out into the world.

I watched it on Thursday and liked it quite a bit.  I think the only complaint I have is that it's pretty slow for the first 30 minutes.  Once it starts moving though, it's a whole lot of fun!

 

I also watched Christmas, Bloody Christmas this weekend and loved it.  Very much recommended if you need a killer robot Santa slasher in your life.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, radiatorhums said:

I watched it on Thursday and liked it quite a bit.  I think the only complaint I have is that it's pretty slow for the first 30 minutes.  Once it starts moving though, it's a whole lot of fun!


Funny enough, I think it was about the 30 minute mark that I turned it off.  ONLY because my wife said she wasn’t liking it.  Sucks cause I was enjoying it but I’ll just have to finish it by myself sometime this coming weekend

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, radiatorhums said:

I watched it on Thursday and liked it quite a bit.  I think the only complaint I have is that it's pretty slow for the first 30 minutes.  Once it starts moving though, it's a whole lot of fun!

 

I also watched Christmas, Bloody Christmas this weekend and loved it.  Very much recommended if you need a killer robot Santa slasher in your life.

Yeah, I watched Christmas, Bloody Christmas last night and enjoyed it enough - it also took around 30 minutes until something really happened but it was fun for the last two-thirds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/28/2022 at 12:24 PM, radiatorhums said:

Last night, I watched about 40 minutes of Scare Package II and gave up.  I don't remember anything about the first one, which probably means it was very middle of the road.  II was pretty unwatchable.

I absolutely loved the first and interviewed Rad Chad on my podcast, it was a great time! I watched the 2nd and couldn’t believe the sheer quality drop between the two. It was crushingly bad. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×

Please disable AdBlocker

Okay