The Official Horror Thread

Rip

Last night was the annual viewing of John Carpenter's The Thing.

Stone cold fucking classic. So god damn good.

Agreed. That's a great one. 

I can't wait to see the final girls. The trailer makes it look like Last Action Hero meets Friday the 13th. I'll definitely be picking up the DVD next Tuesday.

I thought The Gift was ok, but it was a weird viewing experience. By the end of the movie I did not feel any remorse for any of the three main characters. It did a good job of keeping you guessing the entire time, but when everything is finally revealed it just lost me.

The Final Girls was probably my favorite of the three, just because I love comedy horror. Very much like Last Action Hero meets Friday the 13th. They did a good job putting it all together. 

I really wanna see The Final Girls, I love ATBLML, and I've hear The Gift is surprisingly really good.

If it wasn't for Amber Heard and Anson Mount I probably would have hated ATBLML. It was weird, and didn't really make a whole lot of sense. I did enjoy the little "twist" even though it was predictable. That at least made it somewhat different, but the deaths and the characters were kind of lame. 

The Gift was interesting. Took on a different direction then what I thought, but intriguing story none the less. I agree with Tony in that I didn't feel any remorse for the characters at the end. I think they could have done a better job ending it, but it's worth a watch. 

Lost of recent horror flicks viewed:

- Contracted: Phase II- If you dug the first, then you'll definitely dig the sequel.  Not too huge of a difference between the two, except I really enjoyed the original's protagonist. 

- Hidden- Though I really do dig Alexander Skarsgard, and think his performance her was really great; overall, the movie just felt like another generic "virus" movie. 

- Deathgasm- One of the best horror/comedies I have ever seen.  It has metal, gore, satan, and nudity.  What else could you possibly want?

- The Final Girls- you nailed it Tony, when you compared it to Last Action Hero meets Friday the 13th.  I really dig anything with Thomas Middleditch or Adam DeVine (who is still playing the Workaholics character in here)

-  Bone Tomahawk- Interestingly, Bone Tomahawk blends both horror and western genres into an incredibly tense, action filled flick.  Great casting, with Kurt Russell, Patrick Wilson, Matthew Fox, and a bunch of other great actors.  Out of all of these, I would recommend this to be watched first. 

Lost of recent horror flicks viewed:

- Contracted: Phase II- If you dug the first, then you'll definitely dig the sequel. Not too huge of a difference between the two, except I really enjoyed the original's protagonist.

- Hidden- Though I really do dig Alexander Skarsgard, and think his performance her was really great; overall, the movie just felt like another generic "virus" movie.

- Deathgasm- One of the best horror/comedies I have ever seen. It has metal, gore, satan, and nudity. What else could you possibly want?

- The Final Girls- you nailed it Tony, when you compared it to Last Action Hero meets Friday the 13th. I really dig anything with Thomas Middleditch or Adam DeVine (who is still playing the Workaholics character in here)

- Bone Tomahawk- Interestingly, Bone Tomahawk blends both horror and western genres into an incredibly tense, action filled flick. Great casting, with Kurt Russell, Patrick Wilson, Matthew Fox, and a bunch of other great actors. Out of all of these, I would recommend this to be watched first.

All things I've been wanting to see. Glad to hear (almost) all of them are good!

On a random side note, I picked up The Human Centipede: Full Sequence blu-ray the other day. It's a 3 movie combo-pack of all 3 Human Centipede films put out by Scream! Factory. I'm mainly excited because in this set, it also contains the whole 2nd film in color as an option, which hasn't been released before.

Call me weird, but I'm a sucker (no pun intended) for these films.

Watched Demonic last night. Better than what I thought it was going to be, but not that great. The two main actors (a cop and a psychologist) were good, but everyone else was pretty terrible. Lots of plot holes, but there was a solid twist thrown in there, and the story was good overall. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to watching Audition yesterday. Man, after years of hearing about how brutal it was, what a gigantic letdown. Not only did it not live up to the massive amount of hype surrounding it, it was also painfully boring to watch. 5/10

Agreed. I don't get why everyone thinks it's such a stellar flick; the plot sucks, the acting is awful, and the buildup is slow and disappointing.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, what's good lately? Stoked for Krampus! Watched Bone Tomahawk this week. It's kind of horror-ish, but not for this thread. Great acting, gnarly effects and gore, but definitely could have used an editor. Worth a watch, IMO.

Anyone see House On Pine Street or Tales of Halloween? I'm not sure they're out yet, but they seem promising. Not as promisimg as The Witch, but still.

Krampus was SO good. I'm interested in hearing everyone else's thoughts. It was basically exactly what I expected/hoped for. Michael Dougherty is killing it. Can't wait for some more news on Trick 'r Treat 2. 

I've also heard a lot of good things about A Christmas Horror Story -- it's an anthology that came out recently. Going to try to give that a watch this weekend.

Watched an awesome flick tonight with my wife called We Are Still Here...took a little bit to get going but once it did it was creepy...

I loved We Are Still Here; definitely a slow burn in the vein of 80s horror with a killer soundtrack to boot. 

Guys, what's good lately? Stoked for Krampus! Watched Bone Tomahawk this week. It's kind of horror-ish, but not for this thread. Great acting, gnarly effects and gore, but definitely could have used an editor. Worth a watch, IMO.

Anyone see House On Pine Street or Tales of Halloween? I'm not sure they're out yet, but they seem promising. Not as promisimg as The Witch, but still.

I brought up Bone Tomahawk a couple of weeks ago after watching it and absolutely loving it.  I didn't notice any editing issues, but maybe I wasn't paying enough attention

I loved We Are Still Here; definitely a slow burn in the vein of 80s horror with a killer soundtrack to boot.

I brought up Bone Tomahawk a couple of weeks ago after watching it and absolutely loving it. I didn't notice any editing issues, but maybe I wasn't paying enough attention

Maybe you're where I heard about it. just mean it didn't need to be 2 hours. There were superfluous scenes that could have been removed and made the pacing faster. Thought all the actors brought their A game, though!

Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse was everything a horror/comedy should be: crude, gory, and incredibly funny.  I know the whole zombie comedy has been pushed to (forgive the pun) death; but this one is definitely worth a viewing for those that still enjoy a good zombie cat scene. 

Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse was everything a horror/comedy should be: crude, gory, and incredibly funny. I know the whole zombie comedy has been pushed to (forgive the pun) death; but this one is definitely worth a viewing for those that still enjoy a good zombie cat scene.

Really glad to hear this. Been wanting to see this.

After numerous drunk attempts, I finally finished Kristy.  It's pretty to explain the premise, simply by naming a few movies: The Strangers, Preservation, Funny Games, Eden Lake, etc.  There were a few decent jump scares and I really do enjoy Ashley Green.  Kristy isn't bringing anything new to the table, but it's worth wasting an hour and a half if you're looking for something to watch.  

• Rip changed the title to The Official Horror Thread