The official Horror fan topic

Rip

I really liked Blackcoat's Daughter too (even though I think they should've stuck with February as the title).  I do need to give it a re-watch at some point though.

I haven't had much time for anything either.  Been a busy few months for me and I've spent my watching time staying caught up on TV.  I'm hoping to watch Raw sometime this weekend, but Logan and John Wick 2 are first on the list.

Agree with all the A24 love too, they've knocked it out of the park consistently for the last 2-3 years.

13 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

I downloaded a subtitled 1080p webrip last week.  Not sure where it was originally sourced.

It's up for preorder on DVD on Amazon US and Amazon UK.  No release date for the US version, but August 14th for the UK.  Sucks cause I was really holding out hope for a blu-ray release.

yoooo, anyone watch anything good?

over the weekend we watched "The houses October built" which I dug but the ending was super weak. and last night  "beyond the gates" which I liked the premise, gore was decent and the score was killer, but the story was very lackluster. hoping "it comes at night" blows my socks off.

Edited by KingTacoMunster

Watched Raw Sunday night and LOVED it.  Fucking awesome.

Watched We Are The Flesh a couple night ago.  Definitely pretty fucked up but it was shot beautifully and I thought the acting was great.

Got my wife and I's tickets to see It Comes At Night this Saturday so I'm super pumped for that.

Was in the mood for something on the lighter end of things and watched The Belko Experiment last night.  Bit of a mixed bag for me.  It wasn't as much of a comedy as marketing had implied.  It didn't seem to have an overly dark tone, so maybe it just wasn't as funny as it intended to be.   It starts off fast and keeps up a mostly good pace.  There were some cool scenes and shots, but no real memorable kills.  The ending wasn't very satisfying, which is probably my biggest gripe.  I think I'd give it a B-

1 minute ago, jonrawks said:

Was in the mood for something on the lighter end of things and watched The Belko Experiment last night.  Bit of a mixed bag for me.  It wasn't as much of a comedy as marketing had implied.  It didn't seem to have an overly dark tone, so maybe it just wasn't as funny as it intended to be.   It starts off fast and keeps up a mostly good pace.  There were some cool scenes and shots, but no real memorable kills.  The ending wasn't very satisfying, which is probably my biggest gripe.  I think I'd give it a B-

I think it may have turned out more like you (and myself) were expecting if Gunn had directed.

The characters were all pretty forgettable so if they died it didn't do much for me.

36 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

I think it may have turned out more like you (and myself) were expecting if Gunn had directed.

The characters were all pretty forgettable so if they died it didn't do much for me.

For sure.  Completely agree about the characters too, there was no development at all.  I had trouble remembering any characters name while I was watching it.

Edit : I think if it leaned real hard into the comedy and was something like Office Space meets Battle Royale, it could've been a better film.

Edited by jonrawks

It  Comes At Night was so sooo good.  Like definitely go see it if your theater is playing it.

I will say one thing though (and it might have been said already?), if you're going into this expecting a straight-up, non-stop jump-scare horror film, then you'll be disappointed.  I only had seen one trailer for it previously, and I don't know if there were any other different trailers released for it, but apparently some people were saying the trailer definitely marketed it as more of a jump-scare film.  I don't remember getting that vibe from the trailer I saw, but that's just me.

If you're into the kind of creepy/slowburn type of stuff, then this will definitely be for you.

23 hours ago, jonrawks said:

I've been interested in this but hesitant. When I first saw the trailer I said to my girlfriend "That could be a fun B movie if they nail the tone...but it's gonna be really hard because it's gonna have to be just right." Not even sure what the tone needs to be exactly but I'll "know it when I see it" and I know it's gonna be a real thin line...

Seems like they missed the mark. I feel like it would need to be pitch black and not really a comedy...but still kinda funny? I don't know. I do like John C McGinley though so I'll still check it out at some point. I was gonna rent it on VOD, but now I'll probably download it.

8 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Seems like they missed the mark. I feel like it would need to be pitch black and not really a comedy...but still kinda funny? I don't know. I do like John C McGinley though so I'll still check it out at some point. I was gonna rent it on VOD, but now I'll probably download it.

Yeah, missed the mark is fair.  I still enjoyed it, but it's hard for me not to think that there's a better film somewhere in there.

Soooo just got back from seeing "it comes at night"

I did enjoy it but was kinda lackluster. I know it just came out so don't want to say much but I'd give it a solid 6/10. Maybe in a week or 2 we could talk about it, I'd love to hear some deeper opinions. Wanted to love it but not quite there.

Edited by KingTacoMunster