The official Horror fan topic

Rip

I’m on episode nine of The Haunting of Hill House and it’s absolutely brilliant. I had to stop myself from watching the finale tonight since I got so wrapped up in it without even realizing it. The cast is solid and did anyone catch how that piano riff from the score sounds like the song from Pans Labyinth? Just the very beginning. I don’t know if it was intentional or not but I love it either way. 

Apostle was about a 6 /10 for me because I found it a bit hard to follow and I agree it was a little long. That one scene with the table though. That was nuts 

Edited by Han Solo

Week 4

22. 14 Cameras

23. Happy Death Day

24. The Slumber Party Massacre

25. Lake Bodom

26. The Witch in the Window

27. Bordello of Blood

28. Cabin in the Woods

Also watched The Haunting of Hill House over the last 10 days (episode a day) and agree with everyone's sentiments, it's very good.

On 10/31/2018 at 9:05 AM, FiggyPud said:

New season of Channel Zero has been amazing.  Got about 2 and a half episodes left.

I'll be getting to this once I finish up a few other things.  The 31 movies ate up a lot of my watching time.  Glad to hear it's good!

Here's my final 31 days of horror watches

29. Hell House LLC

30. Dark Waters

31. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (4K remaster) / Evil Dead II (4K remaster) / Scream 3*

* it's amazing how much worse this is than the second one

3 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

I'll be getting to this once I finish up a few other things.  The 31 movies ate up a lot of my watching time.  Glad to hear it's good!

It was pretty damn great.  Not sure if I’m a fan of how they took it, but overall it was still one of the best horror related things you’ll find going right now.

I watched Death House last night and it was dumb, fun and didn't seem to make a lick of sense plot-wise.

Edit : Forgot to mention that I watched The Dream Door over the course of the week.  Think it's my favorite season of Channel Zero so far.

Edited by jonrawks

This past weekend I watched:

Truth or Dare: Pretty bad, just like I expected.  But I was entertained at least, so yeah.

Wildling: Not too bad.  Hard to do anything new with the whole “werewolf” genre, but there were some unique things here.  I’d say it’s worth checking out.

What’s The Matter With Helen?:  Psychological “thriller” from the early 70’s starring Debbie Reynolds and Shelley Winters.  Nothing I hadn’t ever seen before, but Reynolds and Winters are always a treat to watch.

Flesh & Blood: The second “episode” of the Hulu series “Into The Dark.”  Pretty cool concept.  The 7th of each month for the next 7 months is when a new episode comes out.  Each one seems to be more of a movie though time-wise (about an hour and a half each).  Anyways, each episode revolves around the big holiday for that month. I enjoyed this one better than last months.  Last months was more of a horror/comedy, whereas this was a straight thriller.

Edited by FiggyPud

15 hours ago, FiggyPud said:

Flesh & Blood: The second “episode” of the Hulu series “Into The Dark.”  Pretty cool concept.  The 7th of each month for the next 7 months is when a new episode comes out.  Each one seems to be more of a movie though time-wise (about an hour and a half each).  Anyways, each episode revolves around the big holiday for that month. I enjoyed this one better than last months.  Last months was more of a horror/comedy, whereas this was a straight thriller.

I've been meaning to get to the two available, but the movie length runtime has made it less priority.  I like the idea of it.

What the Waters Left Behind - Mostly felt like a Mexican remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.  Wasn't necessarily a bad movie, it just wasn't anything original.  Had some cool gore in it.

5 hours ago, jonrawks said:

I've been meaning to get to the two available, but the movie length runtime has made it less priority.  I like the idea of it.

They’re both really fun watches.  Nothing groundbreaking at all, but still.

Really excited for next months.  Looks crazy.

Edited by FiggyPud

Anyone check out Deadwax? Seems tailor made for me, i’m gonna go home and download it if i can find it:

Directed by Graham Reznick, the sound designer for horror features like Stake Land, The House Of The Devil, and The Sacrament whose credits also include co-writing the video game Until Dawn and the Dave Bautista action-thriller Bushwick, Deadwax follows Etta (Hannah Gross from Mindhunter), a young woman with a talent for procuring rare records for rich collectors. 

The story takes a turn for the gruesome when Etta gets her hands on a legendary “key” record from master sound engineer Lyle M. Lytton, one of only three in existence, identified by the “strange, ominous” marks in its dead wax. After police discover that one of these records is linked to the death of another record collector, Etta sets out to unravel the mystery.

It also has Ted Rami in some episodes so it should be fun.

https://www.stereogum.com/2014973/killer-vinyl-record-horrow-series-deadwax/video/

Cam - I liked this a lot.  One of the better examples of how to use the internet in a horror movie w/o it being embarrassingly bad or cheesy.  Worth checking out.

Candyman - Realized I'd never seen this somehow.  It feels pretty dated, but it was still fun.

Dearest Sister - More of a drama with some horror lite in it.  Even though the pace was a little slower than I'd have liked, the ending was satisfying.

I also watched both episodes of Into The Dark over the last week.  I enjoyed them both, but neither were amazing.  They have a little bit of a TV movie vibe (which they kind of are).

• 2 weeks later...

You Might Be The Killer - Real fun self-aware horror comedy.  Highly recommended.

Mercy Christmas - This was bad and not fun.

All the Creatures Were Stirring - This was bad, but very fun.  Would be a good group / half watching movie.

Into the Dark : Pooka - Another solid entry into the series.  I'm not quite sure I grasp the timeline, but I'm not sure if that's on me or the movie.

Tumbbad - Dark fantasy / horror.  Kind of reminded me of something Del Toro would've made earlier in his career.  The second chapter draaaaags though.

Knife+Heart - Not a through and through horror movie, but it's got a slasher character that drives the plot.  Thought it was a good watch.

Assassination Nation - This movie won't win any awards for subtly, but it was a blast to watch.  Has a Purge-type vibe in parts.  Definitely recommend this one.

Christmas horror movies thus far:

Black Christmas - I get why so many cite this as the original slasher. Pretty enjoyable, but I wanted more Christmas-themed kills. No interest in finding the early 2000's remake.

Silent Night, Deadly Night - Way more fun, with those themed kills I wanted. Man, I feel like the killer was totally justified in going crazy. Everyone just kept kicking him in the PTSD balls. I'll bet the many sequels get real bad but maybe real fun.

Better Watch Out - This was way different than the home invasion movie I thought it was going to be. Felt a little genuinely disturbed at the premise once it was rolling. Enjoyable, with a satisfying ending.

ON MY LIST:

Rare Exports

The Children

All the Creatures Were Stirring

Silent Night, Bloody Night

5 hours ago, stranaspank said:

Better Watch Out - This was way different than the home invasion movie I thought it was going to be. Felt a little genuinely disturbed at the premise once it was rolling. Enjoyable, with a satisfying ending.

I'll have to add this to my list!  I'm hoping to get through all the Silent Night, Deadly Nights over the next few weeks.  I know I've seen most of them, but it's been at least 15 years and don't really remember anything.

edit : Nevermind.  I looked up Better Watch Out and the cover jogged my memory.  Watched it last year and liked it if I remember correctly.

Edited by jonrawks

The Man in the Orange Jacket - Didn't work as a home invasion movie and didn't work as a psychological horror movie.  It did look great and was interesting enough to hold my attention (also like 70 minutes long, which helped).  Nothing worth seeking out though.

One Cut of the Dead - This was a blast!  It seemed to drag for about 15-20 minutes right in the middle, but fortunately it ramps up and doesn't slow down after.  I think a lot of people here would dig this one.

Class of 1999 - More of a sci-fi action movie than horror, but a pretty fun watch nonetheless.

More Christmas flicks:

Gremlins - Classic, you know what happens. The creature effects are still rad.

The Children - Better than I thought it'd be. Don't watch if you're a fan of kids not being killed violently.

Christmas Evil (aka You Better Watch Out) - I remember watching this one in high school when I was first getting into bad horror movies, but couldn't remember which one it was. It's still pretty fun.

Silent Night, Deadly Night 2 - The first 40 minutes of this movie are actual footage flashbacks of the first one.  It's like a clip show. Then his brother kills people.  Expectations of diminishing returns for the series are so far correct.