The official Horror fan topic

Rip

2 hours ago, Rip said:

What’d you think of “Wounds?”  Apparently a lot of people are hating it but I actually really enjoyed it.  It wasn’t the best movie I’ve ever seen, but it’s definitely not as bad as most are saying.

It missed the mark for me quite a bit.  Didn't really find the relationship / alcoholism / toxic masculinity material interesting and wish it focused more on the spooky stuff / body horror wierdness.  Didn't absolutely hate it, but was disappointed a bit.  I really liked Under the Shadow and was maybe expecting too much from this?

4 hours ago, jonrawks said:

It missed the mark for me quite a bit.  Didn't really find the relationship / alcoholism / toxic masculinity material interesting and wish it focused more on the spooky stuff / body horror wierdness.  Didn't absolutely hate it, but was disappointed a bit.  I really liked Under the Shadow and was maybe expecting too much from this?

Yeah talk about night and day difference between movies.  Agree on your thoughts though.  The creepy/body horror stuff they showed was great and I just really wanted more of that than anything.

Week four

22. Rabid

23. Fright Night

24. Curtains

25. 13 Cameras

26. Scary Stories to Tell  in the Dark b/w Extra Ordinary*

27. Girl on the Third Floor

28. Portals

*Not really a horror movie, but it involved ghosts and is pretty season appropriate.  Not amazing, but it had it's charms and made for a nice break from full on horror movies.

Trying to squeeze a few horror movies into the week since tis the season.  It was slow going in The Blackcoat's Daughter, but once things started coming together I think I enjoyed it overall, despite several narrative problems I had with it.  I was not very into Starry Eyes, which I've heard people recommend but didn't really work for me on either of the levels I think it's trying for.  I think I'm going to try It Comes at Night tonight.

Finished up my 31 for 31 with some classics.

29. The Evil Dead : Reimagined (4k restoration with new score) - super cool seeing this on a big screen.

30. Puppet Master II

31. Halloween III : Season of the Witch and A Nightmare on Elm Street III : Dream Warriors.

Also looks like Creepshow is getting a second season.  Based on the 5 episodes I've watched, I think it's fun, but hardly must watch horror.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty good movie day yesterday:

- Into the Dark: Pilgrim

It was okay.  Had kind of high hopes since it was the writer/director of The Collector and The Collection.  Way too many cheesy moments and quite a few plot holes as well.  Still a fun watch thought like most of the ITD stuff.

- The Nightingale

New movie from the director of The Babadook.  Pretty damn brutal but incredibly well done.  Beautiful period piece as well.  Only minor complaint is that it might be a little bit longer than it has to be.  Other than that, highly recommend.

- Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark

Not too bad.  My expectations were pretty high thought considering I loved the books as a kid and have really enjoyed every movie this guy has directed so far.  The monsters looked and felt like they cane right out of the books which is a major plus.  I still stand by my original thought that this would have been way better off as an anthology film or series.

- Midsommar (Directors Cut)

Saw the original in theaters and loved it.  Then once I heard there was a directors cut that added more to the story, I knew I had to see it too.  Directors cut blu-ray finally came in from Amazon UK the other day and it was totally worth the wait.  Gives more depth to the relationship of the 2 main characters and even adds a little more information and backstory to the “cult.”  If you were a fan of the original, then you gotta see this.  Adds about 20-25 minutes worth of scenes so you’re looking at a 3 hour watch, but it flies by.

Edited by Rip

Watched “Fractured” and “Eli” on Netflix the other day.

Fractured was more of a “thriller” than horror, but still.  Pretty enjoyable overall.  You can kind of see the twist coming fairly early on, but it was well done.  Director of Session 9 (one of my favorites) and The Machinist so you can’t really go wrong there.

Eli on the other hand was pretty terrible.  It actually was okay until the last 10 minutes and then my jaw was on the floor with how they went with the whole story.  Couldn’t believe it (in a bad way).  There were a few cool visuals here and there but overall I can’t say I’d recommend this one.  Also, if you’ve seen the trailer then you’ve seen all the good parts.  Yeah it’s one of those...

Edited by Rip

6 hours ago, Rip said:

Watched “Fractured” and “Eli” on Netflix the other day.

Fractured was more of a “thriller” than horror, but still.  Pretty enjoyable overall.  You can kind of see the twist coming fairly early on, but it was well done.  Director of Session 9 (one of my favorites) and The Machinist so you can’t really go wrong there.

I felt pretty much the same.  Only thing I'd add is that the movie seemed a bit long too.  It made for a nice watch on a shitty night.

2 hours ago, jonrawks said:

I felt pretty much the same.  Only thing I'd add is that the movie seemed a bit long too.  It made for a nice watch on a shitty night.

Yeah I agree with you there.  Especially since you pretty much know what the outcome is going to be within the first 15-20 minutes or so.  No need to drag it on longer than necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this group on here! I think a lot of you may like our stuff www.littleshopofgore.com

Also recently finally watched Us, liked it but felt it would've worked better as two or even three movies. It just felt like there were too many ideas crammed into 2 hours.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/28/2019 at 12:18 PM, The Butcha said:

Watched Haunt on shudder last night. It shares a pretty typical story line of “college kids go to haunted house and crazy shit starts happening”. Buuuut it’s actually done really well. Recommended!

Agreed. I gave it no thought until Shuuder mentioned it being one of the most streamed movies. It was good. I was pleasantly surprised.

• 1 month later...

Really excited to see that.

Watched Parasite the other night.  I know it’s not really “horror” at all, but it had some gore and violence, so whatever.  I absolutely loved it.  I knew nothing about it going in.  Hadn’t even watched a trailer.  So glad I went in as blind as I did cause it made it that much better.

On 2/1/2020 at 12:42 PM, Rip said:

Watched Parasite the other night.  I know it’s not really “horror” at all, but it had some gore and violence, so whatever.  I absolutely loved it.  I knew nothing about it going in.  Hadn’t even watched a trailer.  So glad I went in as blind as I did cause it made it that much better.

I saw it a month or two ago and loved it.  I'm not sure if it was my favorite movie of 2019, but it's easily a top contender.

• 3 weeks later...

I did a double feature of VFW and After Midnight last Saturday and enjoyed them both.

After Midnight is a pretty slow burn and feels more like a drama than a horror movie most of the time.  Some great performances in here.  I'd recommend it, but if you're expecting a creature feature, you'll be disappointed.

VFW was all around awesome.  It's violent and sleazy and knows exactly what kind of movie it wants to be.  It's real fun!

• 4 weeks later...