The Official Horror Thread

Rip

1 hour ago, radiatorhums said:

Managed to have a couple good weekends in a row

Fear Street  : 1666 - My least favorite of the three.  Not that it's bad by any means, just that I enjoyed the last two a bit more.   Has kind of an odd structure too.  Wraps up the series really well though.  I would 100% be in for more movies in the universe.

Vicious Fun - Really enjoyed this one.  It's got some good gore and made me laugh quite a few times.

The Forever Purge - I was a bit worn on the franchise after the last one, but this showed there are still some interesting ideas left in the franchise.   Worth checking out if you like the others.

My Heart Can't Beat Unless You Tell It Too - I liked this a lot.  A real slow burn and more of a drama with a horror element to it, so I don't know if it'd be for everyone.

In the non-horror space - I thought Pig and Zola were both great, especially Pig.  Cage's performance is top notch.  Easily one of my favorite movies this year.

I saw Pig last night and was absolutely floored by it. First new movie I’ve seen in a theater in 16 months, and it was a perfect reminder of why and how much I love seeing movies. 

• 2 weeks later...

A Classic Horror Story is better than the first 20 minutes or so sets you up for. Nothing amazing or revolutionary, but I enjoyed it and the last third is strong, which is preferable to coming out the gates strong and then tripping and falling down (Belzebuth comes to mind).

Not horror but saw Annette (eh. I expected something way different - the worst of it is that most of the songs aren’t that good) and The Green Knight (loved it; not 5/5 great but a strong as hell 4/5) on Friday night. And then I went and hung out / stayed up until 3:30 and as such I was ass-beat all day yesterday.

1 hour ago, iwokeinrelief said:

A Classic Horror Story is better than the first 20 minutes or so sets you up for. Nothing amazing or revolutionary, but I enjoyed it and the last third is strong, which is preferable to coming out the gates strong and then tripping and falling down (Belzebuth comes to mind)

I watched it yesterday afternoon and enjoyed it quite a bit! 

I also watched The Boy Behind the Door and thought it was great.  It's tense, well paced, violent and very dark.  There are few moments that broke my suspension of disbelief and took me out of the it for a bit,  but they weren't big enough things that it ruined the movie.

12 minutes ago, radiatorhums said:

I also watched The Boy Behind the Door and thought it was great.  It's tense, well paced, violent and very dark.  There are few moments that broke my suspension of disbelief and took me out of the it for a bit,  but they weren't big enough things that it ruined the movie.

Oh shit, that sounds super tense. I’m going to have to check that out, but possibly/probably by myself because my wife does not like the child-in-peril motif.

17 hours ago, radiatorhums said:

Oh damn is that available to watch now?  Is it just on demand?

5 hours ago, Rip said:

Oh damn is that available to watch now?  Is it just on demand?

It hit Shudder end of last month!

I caught a matinee of The Green Knight on Sunday and liked it a lot (would agree with a 4/5 iwokeinrelief gave it).  A lot to take in and I'm still thinking on it.  Gorgeous film and a strong performance by Patel.  First movie back in a theater and I'm glad it was a good one.

2 hours ago, radiatorhums said:

It hit Shudder end of last month!

I caught a matinee of The Green Knight on Sunday and liked it a lot (would agree with a 4/5 iwokeinrelief gave it).  A lot to take in and I'm still thinking on it.  Gorgeous film and a strong performance by Patel.  First movie back in a theater and I'm glad it was a good one.

-Patel is so damn 🔥 in it.  And it's amazing what that film looks like with just a 15M budget.

-It's weird to get high caliber films in the theater in the summer - obviously schedules are a complete mess right now - but I feel a bit spoiled to have seen two really top notch films in the last month, but i'm looking forward and am worried I'm back to waiting to Jan/Feb for the next slate of good/arty/festival stuff to hit. 

-Pretty sure to alleviate that I'm going to do the streaming ticket for Fantastic Fest this year.  That's going to be a crazy few days where I'm likely not sleeping much 😂

Finally signed up for Shudder last night.  Put it off for way too long.

Wife and I broke it in by watching Host.  Goddamn what a great, creepy movie.  Short and sweet.  Personally not one for jump scares, but I haven’t felt that way since watching the first Paranormal Activity.  Loved it.

Host was the reason my wife and i signed up for Shudder last year, and was also what we used to break in the service.  It's really damn great as noted - run time is perfect, love when a movie knows not to overstay it's welcome.

If you haven't seen Terrified yet that would be number one recommendation from the service.  I would also highly recommend Haunt, as it is an absolute blast of flick.

8 minutes ago, iwokeinrelief said:

Host was the reason my wife and i signed up for Shudder last year, and was also what we used to break in the service.  It's really damn great as noted - run time is perfect, love when a movie knows not to overstay it's welcome.

If you haven't seen Terrified yet that would be number one recommendation from the service.  I would also highly recommend Haunt, as it is an absolute blast of flick.

Terrified is absolutely incredible.  One of my favorite horror films in recent memory.  I was using someone else’s account a couple years ago when we watched it.  And then I bought the blu-ray when it came out.  Not super excited about the remake that’s supposedly coming out though 😒.

Still need to get to Haunt.  I know I added it to my list last night so hopefully that’ll be soon.

15 minutes ago, Rip said:

Terrified is absolutely incredible.  One of my favorite horror films in recent memory.  I was using someone else’s account a couple years ago when we watched it.  And then I bought the blu-ray when it came out.  Not super excited about the remake that’s supposedly coming out though 😒.

Still need to get to Haunt.  I know I added it to my list last night so hopefully that’ll be soon.

I wish i could find more stuff that's even close to the caliber of Terrified.  Easily one of the best horror movies I've seen in recent memory.  Ugh, I'd managed to forget all about that remake.

One other that I'll recommend that i really enjoyed was Belzebuth.  It's really the first 2/3rds that I'm recommending, as I'm not crazy about the conclusion, but it comes out the gate so ridiculously strong.

Glad you're on the service though, hopefully you'll have some rec's from it that i've not seen yet.  There is a ton of stuff on their, but after a lot of viewing I'm starting to run out of the "must watch" options i had on my list.

Edited by iwokeinrelief

2 hours ago, iwokeinrelief said:

I wish i could find more stuff that's even close to the caliber of Terrified.  Easily one of the best horror movies I've seen in recent memory.  Ugh, I'd managed to forget all about that remake.

One other that I'll recommend that i really enjoyed was Belzebuth.  It's really the first 2/3rds that I'm recommending, as I'm not crazy about the conclusion, but it comes out the gate so ridiculously strong.

Glad you're on the service though, hopefully you'll have some rec's from it that i've not seen yet.  There is a ton of stuff on their, but after a lot of viewing I'm starting to run out of the "must watch" options i had on my list.

I think we’ll also soon be checking out “The Boy Behind the Door” and “Kandisha.”  Super excited to check out Kandisha.  It’s from the directors of Inside, Livide, Among the Living, etc.  Had no idea it was even out.

45 minutes ago, Rip said:

I think we’ll also soon be checking out “The Boy Behind the Door” and “Kandisha.”  Super excited to check out Kandisha.  It’s from the directors of Inside, Livide, Among the Living, etc.  Had no idea it was even out.

I'll look into Kandisha; Inside was not really my thing, and Livide was disappointing to me, but the reviews around Kandisha look promising.  And yeah, I need to check out The Boy Behind the Door as well, probably in the next couple days.

I'll look into Kandisha; Inside was not really my thing, and Livide was disappointing to me, but the reviews around Kandisha look promising.  And yeah, I need to check out The Boy Behind the Door as well, probably in the next couple days.

Their movie “Among the Living” is also on Shudder.  I think you might enjoy that one.  Has a very strong “Texas Chainsaw” vibe to it.  Except it’s with kids haha

The Boy Behind the Door was really good, enjoyed it *much* more than I expected (I use the term "enjoy" intentionally here)!  Glad I checked it out.

Recommended either Among the Living or Kandisha to my wife for our Friday the 13th movie.  We'll see what happens. Edited to add that she went to work saying “we’ll watch either” and came home “I’m not sure I want to watch either” - lol - now I’m trying to dig up a movie on short notice (she is really picky); might just go ahead and start Brand New Cherry Flavor since we loved Channel Zero, even though she specifically wanted a movie for Friday the 13th.

Edited by iwokeinrelief

Watched Kandisha and Among the Living today while my kids were at school. Liked Among the Living a bit more than Kandisha, but found both to be pretty middle of the road. Felt the same about Livide, so apparently this director just isn’t my thing.

at home during the day again tomorrow, so I need to plan for 2-3 more movies.

*finally* (knock on wood) starting Brand New Cherry Flavor tonight…

11 hours ago, iwokeinrelief said:

Watched Kandisha and Among the Living today while my kids were at school. Liked Among the Living a bit more than Kandisha, but found both to be pretty middle of the road. Felt the same about Livide, so apparently this director just isn’t my thing.

at home during the day again tomorrow, so I need to plan for 2-3 more movies.

*finally* (knock on wood) starting Brand New Cherry Flavor tonight…

Just came in here to say I finished Brand New Cherry Flavor last night.  Man it was so sooo good.  Highly recommended if you’re a fan of Lynch and/or Cronenberg.

Been a huge fan of Nick Antosca ever since Channel Zero (which I loved A LOT.  Such a shame it got cancelled).  Pretty much enjoyed everything he’s done since then so I’m super excited for the new Chuck series too.

27 minutes ago, Rip said:

Just came in here to say I finished Brand New Cherry Flavor last night.  Man it was so sooo good.  Highly recommended if you’re a fan of Lynch and/or Cronenberg.

Been a huge fan of Nick Antosca ever since Channel Zero (which I loved A LOT.  Such a shame it got cancelled).  Pretty much enjoyed everything he’s done since then so I’m super excited for the new Chuck series too.

Yeah, we loved Channel Zero also, it's a total bummer that it stopped.  Watched the first episode of BNCF last night and really enjoyed it, even though it was mostly just setup and didn't really get weird/surreal yet.  With the kids getting back to school and extracurricular activities this week our nightly viewing time is a bit crunched, so it'll likely take a week or so to get through the other 7 episodes.  Slow going!

What else has Nick Antosca done since Channel Zero?  I'm out of the loop on him until this popped up.

What else has Nick Antosca done since Channel Zero?  I'm out of the loop on him until this popped up.

He did a show for Hulu called “The Act.”  Not necessarily a horror show but definitely had some “horrifying” elements.  Based on a true story too.

He also did one of those movies that’s a part of that Hulu “Into the Dark” series.  It’s the one called “Tentacle.”  It was okay.  Not the best thing he’s done but I think it was my favorite of all those ItD movies so far.

That’s about it really.  Like I said, he doing that new Chucky show coming out on SyFy too.

9 minutes ago, Rip said:

He did a show for Hulu called “The Act.”  Not necessarily a horror show but definitely had some “horrifying” elements.  Based on a true story too.

He also did one of those movies that’s a part of that Hulu “Into the Dark” series.  It’s the one called “Tentacle.”  It was okay.  Not the best thing he’s done but I think it was my favorite of all those ItD movies so far.

That’s about it really.  Like I said, he doing that new Chucky show coming out on SyFy too.

Cool, thanks for the info. I’ll have to looking to that new Chucky show coming out, it’s completely passed me by.

Just finished up Housebound, which I liked a great deal. Probably 15 minutes or so too long - drags a bit in the first third which makes the whole thing feel a bit drawn out - but it was funny with some decently tense scenes; so not scary-horror, but still had its own distinct personality which I enjoyed.

And then I watched The Empty Man (since I had time today vs my normal limited time windows at night) and really enjoyed it. I like movies like this a lot actually, glad to finally check it out.

I’ve thought about this movie at least once a week since I’ve watched.  One of the most original horror movies I’ve seen in a while.

10 hours ago, Rip said:

I’ve thought about this movie at least once a week since I’ve watched.  One of the most original horror movies I’ve seen in a while.

Yeah, any time a horror movie has detective / noir beats to it I'm almost always going to be into it; i loved the additional mixing in of creepypasta and lovecraft with a bit of Foucault's Pendulum and Under the Silver Lake thrown in.  

Always down for something new and original in the horror/speculative cinema space.

• Rip changed the title to The Official Horror Thread