Getting rid of all your cds

Just went through all of my cds, dvds and records last weekend.  The old lady has been on me as of late to try and get rid of stuff we don't use anymore.  I'm not planning on getting rid of any records but I did make the decision to unload all of my dvds and some of myh cds.  Just the ones I know I'll never need again.  The rest of my cds just have too much sentimental value to me since I procured them when I worked at a small mom and pop record store.  They are all that I have left of that place!  It has since been turned into a gym...

am I missing something? why would you take them out of the cases to get rid of them?

I've been slowly doing this by selling off a bunch at a time and replacing must-haves with vinyl. I started with over 1600 and still have over 1000. I won't be buying new releases on CD anymore. I use Spotify to check out new stuff, and if I want it, I'll buy it on vinyl.

I've been contemplating selling off my whole collection, but I know there are certain things that I may never own on vinyl, and just don't want to part with...

I've been contemplating this but haven't done it yet...it's a silly/debatable reason but I'm sensing more attention in the music streaming world being given to high-quality audio (not mp3s) and if that's the direction it ends up going, I don't want to have to pay for all of my favorite music again at a higher bitrate someday.  I suppose I could rip all my music at a lossless rate and then sell them but I dunno.  It would be cool to stream music from a "cloud" someday at a lossless rate and if that ever happens, I think I'll be happy I kept my CDs.  

And yes, CD audio isn't the BEST but I'm betting for some of the music I enjoy, there isn't going to be a better (non-vinyl, digital) version available for a long time, if ever.  

(I know my comments may cue someone to jump the ongoing debate over whether or not it's worth listening to music at a lossless rate due to our ears not hearing certain frequencies blah blah blah...but just, don't.  It's such an annoying/dumb debate and really, it comes down to personal preference).  

ditched 75% of mine a couple years ago... If anyone listened to obscure 90s fast/melodic skate punk bands, you might want to double check those before ditching them for cheap... i was able to sell some of my rare skate punk cds for hundreds of dollars a pop.  I had one cd that i pulled off ebay when i got a $350+ offer and many more that went for $100+ through message boards/ebay

between selling most of my cd collection, and a few high dollar records and was able to pay for my girls engagement ring with little money out of my own pocket. 

i have been wanting to do this.  i think i might take them up to the record exchange and pick up some vinyl instead.

the only thing that worries me is having my itunes crash or something and all my music is gone.  i have a shit ton of music i don't have on vinyl and that would be a crushing blow to me. 

is there a way to backup my files so i know for sure that they are secure if i need to access them again?

i have been wanting to do this.  i think i might take them up to the record exchange and pick up some vinyl instead.

the only thing that worries me is having my itunes crash or something and all my music is gone.  i have a shit ton of music i don't have on vinyl and that would be a crushing blow to me. 

is there a way to backup my files so i know for sure that they are secure if i need to access them again?

External hard drive, yo. 

Sounds like there could be a story behind this.  Interested.

i sold a lot when i first moved out to saint louis to help pay a few bills.

even though i still prefer vinyl, there were a lot of albums that i only had on cd that i miss.

my collection was easily over 1,000 discs, now it's less than 200.

the collector in me kicks myself every day for letting them go, tho i'm finding the ones i really miss fairly inexpensive to replace.

I'm doing this, there's actually a sale thread with the majority of the CDs that I still have left. I got rid of about 5 or 6 hundred five years ago and held onto a couple hundred for some reason. Being realistic, I will probably never need these things again.

There are a few that I'm keeping that still hold some sentimental value, like a copy of Stay What You Are my ex gave me about ten years ago when she lost the copy.

Just went through all of my cds, dvds and records last weekend.  The old lady has been on me as of late to try and get rid of stuff we don't use anymore.  I'm not planning on getting rid of any records but I did make the decision to unload all of my dvds and some of myh cds.  Just the ones I know I'll never need again.  The rest of my cds just have too much sentimental value to me since I procured them when I worked at a small mom and pop record store.  They are all that I have left of that place!  It has since been turned into a gym...

Press records not iron!

I have around 400 CDs and they're really starting to take up space. I'm not planning on selling any since it wouldn't be worth it, but I'm definitely going to start cutting down on buying them aside from cool/import/etc ones from my absolute favorite bands. Being a teenager with a limited budget, I'm going to do my best to listen to new releases on Spotify first and if I like it, then I'll buy the vinyl version.