Poetry

"He has some great work, but he also has some bland work, and really, he was just a dirty old man that got to skate through life drinking and writing because he knew the right people."

I get what you're saying and it is probably now cool for kids to hate Bukowski, but your assessment of his life is ignorant. If you'd lived through 1% of the shit he lived you would be permanently curled up in the corner crying like a five year old girl. His later years were a bit more cushy, but most of his life was lived just over the edge. I know I couldn't do it. That said, if a persons only exposure to poetry is Bukowski, then they don't know much about the art.

big fan of this thread already. sometimes reading poetry makes me want to scoff but i catch myself and remember i'm just being a pretentious piece of shit who actually has no ambition but really wishes he did.

This kid is doing a poem a day for 2013 here

And he also is a huge record collector and is pretty cool,

The last time I checked he isn't a member here.

i think this is awesome. near the end of 2012, i had been having a lot of vivid dreams and i wanted to do "a dream a day" for 2013, and i would have to be completely honest, even if a dream was entirely about a sexual encounter with an ex-girlfriend or something. didn't pan out, but i do want to do it eventually.

i wrote a lot of poetry in high school but it all sounds so contrived in the way that people try to emulate their favorite authors, poets or bands. there's only one i really liked and every time i read it i can remember the moment itself and my emotions so vividly -- for a non-aspiring author, i think that's all one can really ask for.

"He has some great work, but he also has some bland work, and really, he was just a dirty old man that got to skate through life drinking and writing because he knew the right people."

I get what you're saying and it is probably now cool for kids to hate Bukowski, but your assessment of his life is ignorant. If you'd lived through 1% of the shit he lived you would be permanently curled up in the corner crying like a five year old girl. His later years were a bit more cushy, but most of his life was lived just over the edge. I know I couldn't do it. That said, if a persons only exposure to poetry is Bukowski, then they don't know much about the art.

Poor guy. He had to work shit jobs at the post office and pickle plants.

And if he wasn't such a ding dong, maybe he wouldn't have had all that heart break. 

As I stated, he has some good poems, but most of it is filler. I like to look at his career as that 3xLP by The Early November. Just pick ten good songs and make a bitchin' album instead of bombarding me with filler.

In all honesty, I don't know if it is cool to hate Bukowski now. I used to drool over how "cool" he was as a poet, but after a little digging, I realized there was SO MUCH MORE to the poetry genre then bitching about how your heart hurts and bragging about how you have ulcers.

• 1 month later...

So I decided to make a mock-zine as my presentation of my portfolio for the class, I was wondering what you butt munchies think it needs to spice up this "dedication" themed intro....

This zine is for my friends, to whom I raise my flask for every night. Whose broken frames resemble my former box spring as we sleep all in the squalor, fucked and without a direction. For the calendar on the wall loathes our outlook of time, pushing blood into our eyes and placing our debt under the eyelids: for everyone to witness. So we can only wake up and consume the same bowl of razorblades each morning, staying sharp. As we all realize that there is no way we are getting our security deposits back for this shit-hole, because our morning paced routines have burned holes into the carpet.

I personally blame the porcelain idols granting us the ability to regurgitate 80-proof vile, after hydrating our parched lips from the well. Or the pimples on our foreheads, making us wish they were bullet holes expelling our filth from within.