New to Vinyl FAQ

my bad, i guess i was just looking for an icon next to it or something. (i literally only use the "new content" section)

in addition to post your setup, official wrestling thread. stick it, bitches.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Based on my research it seems amazon easily the best place for vinyl, almost always the cheapest and tax free. Add prime and it's unbeatable. I have about 5 good record stores around me, good selection but 95% of the time they are $3+ more expensive and that's pre tax

While Amazon can afford to give you the best price, if you don't buy from your local record stores, next year you'll have 2 stores and in 5 years you'll have none.

Them Amazon will be in a position to charge whatever it likes for records.

While Amazon can afford to give you the best price, if you don't buy from your local record stores, next year you'll have 2 stores and in 5 years you'll have none.

Them Amazon will be in a position to charge whatever it likes for records.

The very few times the local record stores beat Amazon I snatch it.  Last week I ordered 5 records from a local store because they were giving a $2 discount because of the traffic on the street and I was able to see how much they payed from their distributer and we negotiated each LP, ended up beating Amazon's price by at least a $3-4 each

The very few times the local record stores beat Amazon I snatch it. Last week I ordered 5 records from a local store because they were giving a $2 discount because of the traffic on the street and I was able to see how much they payed from their distributer and we negotiated each LP, ended up beating Amazon's price by at least a $3-4 each

I'm with moonbeams here. Shop local. ALWAYS.

Plus, if you frequent there enough, you'll always get it cheaper than amazon. My locals give me just about everything at cost.

Also: USED! Used bins are the ultimate! Amazon ain't got shit on the stacks.

I'm with moonbeams here. Shop local. ALWAYS.

Plus, if you frequent there enough, you'll always get it cheaper than amazon. My locals give me just about everything at cost.

Also: USED! Used bins are the ultimate! Amazon ain't got shit on the stacks.

I've gone through the used racks at the 4 local record stores mostly junk that's left.

Maybe if I buy often from the local stores they'll give me a better price.

It's all location. Tokyo was a treasure trove of used records. Every week offered a fresh hunt.

Here its absolute crap at jacked up prices. A lot of the stores I've visited don't even put their records in plastic sleeves. Looks like a dusty garage sale.

Healthy used bins have high turnaround. That means cheap prices. 

• 1 month later...

Really great thread, I've found it very useful.

I have been experimenting with using PVA glue to clean glue to clean my records and I'm having some great results. You have to water the glue down a tiny amount but when it's dry..... peel it away and the record will be free of all dust and stuff. Can get a bit static so straight into clean paper sleeves. I've saved some absolutely disgraceful messes (including a Pink Floyd dark side first pressing) and swear by it

when storing vinyl, inside of these plastic sleeves we buy, do you keep the physical record outside of the dust jacket? is removing the paper sleeve recommended ? with a gatefold, is keeping the record in the middle flap frowned upon?

You can store your records anyway you please. Some people prefer to keep their records outside the jacket because they believe that it will prevent ring wear. However, I shipped my across the world by boat (it took 3 months) and in the shipping, I stored the records outside the the jackets and this actually created ring wear on the side of the jacket the record was stored.

You should definitely use an inner sleeve. I discard my paper inner sleeves and replace them with anti-static plastic sleeves like these:

http://www.sleevecityusa.com/diskeeper-audiophile-inner-sleeve-50-pack-p/312nrps.htm

It makes it very easy to slip out a record without having to remove the sleeve.

I have one record in the middle of a gatefold because I can't get it to fit in the sleeve.

Just to elaborate on Minor Incident's post, if a record is shipped inside a sleeve, it tends to move around and cut through the jacket seams. To prevent this many people send their records outside the jacket. You can put the record back inside for storage.