Instrumental bands...

mrewest

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait a sec, did u just throw 5ive in there to see if anyone would notice?? Love it haha.

For a second I wasn't sure what you're talking about but then after a Google search I found out there is a boy band from England that goes by the same name. Haha I was referring to the Boston based band.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5ive_(band)

For a second I wasn't sure what you're talking about but then after a Google search I found out there is a boy band from England that goes by the same name. Haha I was referring to the Boston based band.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5ive_(band)

Haha that's hilarious! I thought for sure you were just throwing in an obscure boy band from the 90s to see if anyone noticed. And sadly I did. But that's only because "Baby When the Lights Go Out" was my jam.

They're all over, but really every album has vocals on it except for the THIH. They're mostly instrumental except for a couple songs on the first two albums, Young Team and Come On Die Young. Then Rock Action and then Happy Songs and then Mr. Beast had even more with vocals. Hardcore Will Never Die has vocals too; 'Mexican Grand Prix'. The Hawk Is Howling is their only purely instrumental album

I know. I am pretty familiar with Mogwai. CODY has one song with vocals (not including voice samples) and that is easily their best album. If one song with singing keeps you from listening, shame. Happy Songs only has heavily processed vocals with a vocoder, which I count as an instrument and not singing.

Hawk Is Howling is their only purely instrumental record but also one I don't really recommend people listen to.

they are extremely dull. but one album is outstanding and different and therefore cancels out their dullness.

check out this album of theirs:

Dream Signals In Full Circles

I gravitate towards dull sounding music. Spine And Sensory and Dream Signals are the only ones I am able to get through. They are the closest to standard "post-rock" I can get.

Yeah I've seen them live a few times and they fucking own.  Are you talking about the brooklyn show in that shady bar? because that was a fantastic gig / night out.

I'm not sure. I didn't think it was particularly shady. It was at a bar call The Place (worst name) in Brooklyn. It was them, Surfs Up Nebraska, Marine Electric, Dikembe, and You Blew It!

I know. I am pretty familiar with Mogwai. CODY has one song with vocals (not including voice samples) and that is easily their best album. If one song with singing keeps you from listening, shame. Happy Songs only has heavily processed vocals with a vocoder, which I count as an instrument and not singing.

Hawk Is Howling is their only purely instrumental record but also one I don't really recommend people listen to.

Wooaaahhhhh there. Gonna have to heavily disagree with you on that one. I think Happy Songs for Happy People, Young Team, and Hardcore Will Never Die are all waayy better than Cody.

Hardcore Will Never Die was not up to Mogwai standards in the slightest. I guess it depends for what you like Mogwai for, but I prefer their less intense sound. Young Team is amazing but i'm not the biggest fan of Happy Songs. Hardcore Will Never Die was just...yuck. I guess not the worst but not what I appreciate Mogwai for.

CODY, Ten Rapid, Young Team and Rock Action are the only ones that completely stand out to me.

I just really can't stand the production on Mogwai's last few albums. It all sounds really stale to me and the drums sound a lot different than they used to. I didn't mean for it to sound like I was factually saying CODY is the best. It is my favorite though.

http://bearcubbin.bandcamp.com

RIYL: These Arms Are Snakes, Battles

Bearcubbin' is Mike Byrne (current smashing pumpkins drummer)'s band from his hometown. when SP has downtime, they record and do mini-tours. He's an insane drummer. The music is real mathy and I feel like a lot of people here would be into it. They've said their biggest influence is These Arms Are Snakes and the like.

Also, I believe all their releases are available for "pay what you want", even free.

since no one checked them out. i'll make it easy for you.

http://youtu.be/3IDP3rOuyKY

get's real good after a minute.

• 2 weeks later...

Pomegranate Tiger. Their album just came out, it's called "Entities," they're great dudes from Windsor that I met in the crowd at a Meshuggah show. Check out the song "New Breed" on YouTube, it's really good.

Just heard of these guys and am currently listening to the new album on youtube. HOLY SHIT This is fucking amazing!