Unwound Discography Repress

The preorder is up on Numero for the second set: Rat Conspiracy. I didn't get an email, but i saw it listed on Amazon. Its Fake Train and New Plastic Ideas plus 7" and comp tracks. The mail order only disc has the Fake Train demos. Not really interested in the demos but had to get it, because Unwound.

Even though it's listed as a street date of March 18th, the entire MP3 set was available immediately.

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered this with the bonus disc

I didnt get the last bonus disc version because I really didnt like/feel the need for that

I got the bonus one this time because the demo version was produced by Tim Green of Nation of Ulyesses so that is why I got that one

If anyone is interested any Unwound original presses pm me

That's cool, it was the opposite for me. I thought the bonus disc from the last set was very cool. Sometimes I wonder what a bands early material would sound like redone by the older, more mature and usually much different sounding version of the band would sound like. While it didn't blow my mind, it was a cool idea.

I did a quick comparisons of the MP3s of the set and original CDs and they sound indentical to me. I don't think they really "remastered" them as much as they just restored them? I don't know...

• 2 weeks later...

Got my Rat Conspiracy box today. Really happy to have such a great band get great treatment like this. Really great quality for the price. Love unwound, and these box set really do the band and music justice, and the extra mail order only discs are great.

Couldn't help but be reminded how the Slint box is $150. What a fucking rip off. Even the Led Zepplin super deluxe boxes aren't $150.

I have a question about Kid is Gone,  there seems to an awful amount of surface noise on all of my records and I was just wondering if its just a bad press.  I actually got one box from Amazon and after noticing more than usual surface noise and a scratch on one of the sides of the 3rd LP I sent it back for a replacement.  I received a new box from them and this time there was no scratch but it sounds basically as bad even after a good cleaning.  I have another press of Unwound s/t and that press sounds perfectly fine while the new press in the box sounds like shit.  I was planning on getting Rat conspiracy but now I am not so sure.  

Anyone else have an issue with surface noise (ya, kinda funny considering its a very noisy band) or did I just get some really bad luck

I'm embarrassed to say, but I never played my LPs of Kid is Gone (my equipment wasn't set up when it came out), but I did listen to the Rat Conspiracy press of Fake Train the other day and it was very nice and quiet except for one loud random pop mid record. But I'm not even sure if it would happen again as I didn't check if it was a defect or just a bit of something. Sounds like you may have received two bad copies though.

Just had to switch out one of my Codeine records cause of that. Numero apparantly can have a few hiccups from time to time. A lot of pop and surface noise. My Rat Conspiracy box set though sounds great. I special ordered Kid is Gone the other day at my go to shop. I'll let you know if mines the same. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, I searched for a Survival Knife thread and didn't see one, but I never trust the searches on message boards,so:

Came across a listing for the new LP yesterday. I guess it was announced a while back , but I never heard anything.

Survival Knife - Loose Power

http://fatpossum.com/products/loose-power

I have 7"s and they aren't bad (except when the girl sings). A slightly more poppy, upbeat version of unwound.

• 3 months later...

Loving it. Repetition is my favorite Unwound album, and Seen Not Heard (which isn't "unreleased" it was on a split 7" with steel pole bathrube and is on A Single History) is a great song, one of my favorites. I'm glad this material is available for everyone.

Box 4 is going to be bigger than previous boxes as the have, at least, 3 1/2 LP sides in The Light At The End Of The Tunnel Is A Train EP, Challenge, Leaves. Solo Sonata is awesome from the EP.

Have to keep an eye out for the preorder from número for the extra disk!

• 3 weeks later...