Unwound Discography Repress

1 hour ago, MyEnemy said:

Nah. I finally have all four. I would hate this.

We're so close to finally having a full colored set for the main albums, too.  Just need the S/T, TFOW, and – my most anticipated – NPI.  Having the boxes on top of colored LPs is more than enough to be content, but I still don't trust myself if a full discography box ever surfaced.  You'd have to squeeze blood from the stone to find some extra content that isn't already on those box series – maybe some unreleased songs that still haven't seen the light of day? – but if the presentation was tops, I'd probably be inclined to go in for it.  Maybe.  I'm way happy with all the options we have thus far though.

7 hours ago, Derek™ said:

We're so close to finally having a full colored set for the main albums, too.  Just need the S/T, TFOW, and – my most anticipated – NPI.  Having the boxes on top of colored LPs is more than enough to be content, but I still don't trust myself if a full discography box ever surfaced.  You'd have to squeeze blood from the stone to find some extra content that isn't already on those box series – maybe some unreleased songs that still haven't seen the light of day? – but if the presentation was tops, I'd probably be inclined to go in for it.  Maybe.  I'm way happy with all the options we have thus far though.

I’m right there with you. Box sets? Check. Individual albums? Check. Still a desire for a complete catalog box set cause I’m weak and love Unwound?  Check. 

1 hour ago, Sad Heart said:

I’m right there with you. Box sets? Check. Individual albums? Check. Still a desire for a complete catalog box set cause I’m weak and love Unwound?  Check. 

There’s a few of us with that problem.  MyEnemy would be in the same boat, I’m sure.  There’d have to be some real bells and whistles to make me prioritize it though, especially since that kind of theoretical package would not be cheap.

Damn. I just saw that Fake Train is on silver. I want all these on color, but I don’t need it at all. I have multiple copies (OP, box, reissues on black) and I’m not happy with this kind of release schedule where the fan gets taken advantage of. It seems there are a few labels/bands that don’t mind taking advantage of its fans. Sorry to see that Numero is doing this for the unwound catalog. At the same time it’s cool to see these on color. So, yeah, I may as well just shrug my shoulders and move on.

I suppose we may have wavering opinions of what “taking advantage of the fans” actually entails.  Keeping stuff in print is really cool, especially when you price it reasonably.  I have friends who’ve wanted to own Fake Train without the extra content from Rat Conspiracy – which is bizarrely overpriced on the aftermarket – and before this 2022 press, your best bet was a 2017 repress which was starting to climb up in price.  I hardly think it’s scummy of Numero to reissue it on colored vinyl, 5 years later.  Compare that to someone like Newbury who seem to price their exclusive based on the OOP aftermarket value established today [“yeah $40 MSRP for a single LP is high but it beats $100 on Discogs, right?”].  Or who also press 800, sell 700, and “find a box” of 100 to sell for double the original MSRP, later on in the same year.  To me, that is infinitely scuzzier.

tl;dr

I’m not sure Numero is actually doing anything, really, to vilify here.

There was probably not enough interest to justify colored variants for Unwound vinyl in the early 00s.  The individual box sets could’ve been colored and that’d be cool, but I think their presentation and content offer up enough for fans to double-dip.

At least this way, the catalog is staying fresh and in print, and reaching a wider audience at a fair price. The ol’ “black vinyl first, color vinyl later” sale approach is so tried-and-true at this point.  I half expect to see (and re-buy) anything in my collection that I currently own on black wax, at some point, on a colored variant.  Even stuff I’m convinced will never get reissued or see the variant treatment.

52 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

There’s a few of us with that problem.  MyEnemy would be in the same boat, I’m sure.  There’d have to be some real bells and whistles to make me prioritize it though, especially since that kind of theoretical package would not be cheap.

Would I buy a box set? Sadly, probably. I think about buying the cd box set every once in a while.

Just now, kannibal said:

Would I buy a box set? Sadly, probably. I think about buying the cd box set every once in a while.

Same here, especially with how encompassing it is.  I’m glad it’s OOP (to my knowledge) so I’m not as tempted.  As streaming takes more of a monopoly on the way the world consumes music, I’ve gotten more and more serious about having FLAC rips of the music that matters most to me.  Having a flawless rip on hand at any point is really enticing, but I also know that it would probably just collect dust until I “needed it”, since I hardly ever spin CDs these days.  It’d also open a can of worms in trying to back up the rest of my library with CDs over time, too… as if I didn’t spend enough on music already.

1 minute ago, Derek™ said:

I suppose we may have wavering opinions of what “taking advantage of the fans” actually entails.  Keeping stuff in print is really cool, especially when you price it reasonably.  I have friends who’ve wanted to own Fake Train without the extra content from Rat Conspiracy – which is bizarrely overpriced on the aftermarket – and before this 2022 press, your best bet was a 2017 repress which was starting to climb up in price.  I hardly think it’s scummy of Numero to reissue it on colored vinyl, 5 years later.  Compare that to someone like Newbury who seem to price their exclusive based on the OOP aftermarket value established today [“yeah $40 MSRP for a single LP is high but it beats $100 on Discogs, right?”].  Or who also press 800, sell 700, and “find a box” of 100 to sell for double the original MSRP, later on in the same year.  To me, that is infinitely scuzzier.

tl;dr

I’m not sure Numero is actually doing anything, really, to vilify here.

There was probably not enough interest to justify colored variants for Unwound vinyl in the early 00s.  The individual box sets could’ve been colored and that’d be cool, but I think their presentation and content offer up enough for fans to double-dip.

At least this way, the catalog is staying fresh and in print, and reaching a wider audience at a fair price. The ol’ “black vinyl first, color vinyl later” sale approach is so tried-and-true at this point.  I half expect to see (and re-buy) anything in my collection that I currently own on black wax, at some point, on a colored variant.  Even stuff I’m convinced will never get reissued or see the variant treatment.

I can agree, and why I acknowledged that it was cool to see them on color and can shrug and move on (or grit my teeth and act like I don’t want it and move on 😉). And there is a difference in keeping things in print and eventually doing a color vinyl press vs planned releases that use specific language (exclusive) to manipulate and influence fans to buy each release without telling them about PLANNED future releases that may appeal to said fans. Clouds Hill/TMV did a real number on their fans and this is NOT the same thing.

2 minutes ago, kannibal said:

I can agree, and why I acknowledged that it was cool to see them on color and can shrug and move on (or grit my teeth and act like I don’t want it and move on 😉). And there is a difference in keeping things in print and eventually doing a color vinyl press vs planned releases that use specific language (exclusive) to manipulate and influence fans to buy each release without telling them about PLANNED future releases that may appeal to said fans. Clouds Hill/TMV did a real number on their fans and this is NOT the same thing.

For sure.  A lot of it is the timelines, too.  There’s been a slow crawl campaign for a couple of years now – as I’m sure you know – to reissue Unwound albums individually, on colored variants.  It’s been such a trickle but really cool to follow, especially since many of us never really expected to see their catalog pop up on colored vinyl in the first place.  Like you said though, that’s night & day different from CH dropping an overpriced boxset of TMV’s catalog, using tricky verbiage to imply it’ll never be manufactured again (the box, that is).  Then releasing everything individually, on black vinyl.  And then releasing 2-3 colored variants for each of those, months later.  I feel like all of that went down in the span of a year?  And what’s worse is that CH absolutely refused to answer questions about colored vinyl coming down the pipeline, which is super shitty.  Compare that to Numero, who were not at full liberty to divulge details of what they had in the works, last year, but were still able to tease colored reissues for LTIY and future Unwound records without spilling too many beans.  Great example / contrast, for sure.

7 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Same here, especially with how encompassing it is.  I’m glad it’s OOP (to my knowledge) so I’m not as tempted.  As streaming takes more of a monopoly on the way the world consumes music, I’ve gotten more and more serious about having FLAC rips of the music that matters most to me.  Having a flawless rip on hand at any point is really enticing, but I also know that it would probably just collect dust until I “needed it”, since I hardly ever spin CDs these days.  It’d also open a can of worms in trying to back up the rest of my library with CDs over time, too… as if I didn’t spend enough on music already.

Unwound being my one of my (top 5) favorite bands of all time makes it hard not to “collect” everything they put out, but I didn’t even pull the trigger on the CD set when it went on mega sale at one point, so at least I know I have some self control. And I do like having hard copies of things I love. Streaming can be funny sometimes with licensing and remasters taking the place of original versions. 

2 minutes ago, kannibal said:

Unwound being my one of my (top 5) favorite bands of all time makes it hard not to “collect” everything they put out, but I didn’t even pull the trigger on the CD set when it went on mega sale at one point, so at least I know I have some self control. And I do like having hard copies of things I love. Streaming can be funny sometimes with licensing and remasters taking the place of original versions. 

I regret not hopping on that CD set when it was wildly discounted too.  I have a few family members who are very guilty of a “wow that sale is too good, I can’t afford not to scoop that up” mentality, and so I’ve always combatted that by asking myself if I actually need or will get use out of the sale in question.  For CDs it’s tough to justify, but there’s no denying that was a killer value.

According to Discogs, this silver press of Fake Train is the same cut as both the box and the black stand alone. Some of the stand alone black and color represses have been recut and by most accounts the recuts are improvements. Even more of a reason for me to pass on the precious, beautiful, cool looking, must have for true fans silver vinyl version.

I’d probably feel similarly if I wasn’t so late to vinyl / Unwound in general.  I own no OG copies at all, and didn’t really start collecting vinyl early enough to obtain them at a reasonable price.  Anyone who’s late to the band and obsessed with colored / limited vinyl is eatin’ good as of 2021 or so.

13 minutes ago, Sad Heart said:

How did I not notice TFoW was pressed on color. Now I have 3 different Numero orders. Haha. 

Yo.  It definitely wasn’t available last week, great catch.  Another silent color reissue – I can’t believe how quiet Numero was about the silver Fake Train, and this seems to follow suit.  Damn.