Unwound Discography Repress

Sucks to hear that the Scarlette LTIY presses were so spotty.  I heard a lot of people got scuffed jackets and vinyl that was less than ideal – my copy initially showed up with 2 A/Bs – but replacements sound like a success story across the board.  I know my second copy plays pristine and sounds killer.

I’m actually really pleased with all of the color choices.  An “old school gold” would be nice for NPI, especially if they’re keeping the theme of trying to match the variant to the color of the album title.  But I wanted some kind of purple for NPI and got it.  Wanted some kind of murky red for LTIY and got it.  Wanted something monochrome for TFOW and got it.  The only thing I’d change is the Fake Train, actually – I feel like some kind of magenta or fuchsia would be so rad.  The silver turned out nice and I get why they chose it… but with how similar TFOW is, a little variety would’ve been nice. 

9 minutes ago, DecayToDeath said:

See y’all in Los Angeles!

So wild Unwound sold out the Wiltern in half an hour. 2022 on some crazy shit.

Hoping they don’t add more shows before the 14th. Hate that. Looks like they definitely knew it was coming and made room on the calendar. 

7 minutes ago, MyEnemy said:

So wild Unwound sold out the Wiltern in half an hour. 2022 on some crazy shit.

Hoping they don’t add more shows before the 14th. Hate that. Looks like they definitely knew it was coming and made room on the calendar. 

“Second date added due to popular demand” as if people can just book the same venue the next night within 24 hours of tickets selling out. I guess I don’t know how tour booking works but it’s hard for me to believe it isn’t planned well in advance. I figured Unwound just wanted breaks in between but you are most likely correct about new shows being added. 

1 minute ago, Bronchitis said:

“Second date added due to popular demand” as if people can just book the same venue the next night within 24 hours of tickets selling out. I guess I don’t know how tour booking works but it’s hard for me to believe it isn’t planned well in advance. I figured Unwound just wanted breaks in between but you are most likely correct about new shows being added. 

I work in live music and toured for a dozen years, so I do know how it basically works. It’s too much to REALLY get into, but agents put holds on venues, knowing shows/tours are going to kill. This one in particular is a big deal, bigger than I imagined though. If a show sells out fast, they’ll confirm the second/third show, if it isn’t already. Usually if a show doesn’t sell out in a decent amount of time , they’ll let the holds go or just cancel the second/third show they had booked. With it being so far in advance, I’m assuming most venues don’t have too many holds in Feb, not to mention this is a big deal, so any venue/promoter will make it work.

For this one, it’s looking as if they’re going to add, at least, one more date to each of the West Coast stops. 

Sincere question; what is the most annoying aspect of added dates?  Is it feeling slighted that the band wasn’t upfront about the full touring potential?  Or seeing a new date thst works better for you?

To me, more dates = more band revenue = greater likelihood of more touring or new material / reissues / passion projects.  Anything to keep the [fake] train chugging along – why not?

I guess I would feel miffed if I paid $50 for a Thursday night show, and they added a Friday night or Saturday night right after.  Because those are way more convenient to swing for obvious reasons.

And I would definitely feel pretty peeved if they straight up added a smaller / closer venue as a pit stop between their sold-out shows.  I’m making the trek to SF and have no problem with that, but a Sacramento show would be bliss and save me on some driving.  (I just know it’s not realistic.)

Fortunately my show lands on a Friday night and that couldn’t really be more ideal for my schedule, so anything else is icing on the cake. 🤷‍♂️ I get that not everyone is as nonchalant or cool with added dates though, so I was just curious.

15 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I guess I would feel miffed if I paid $50 for a Thursday night show, and they added a Friday night or Saturday night right after.  Because those are way more convenient to swing for obvious reasons.

Well, I will say this one has definitely annoyed me in the past.

27 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Sincere question; what is the most annoying aspect of added dates?  Is it feeling slighted that the band wasn’t upfront about the full touring potential?  Or seeing a new date thst works better for you? 

The only thing that really gets my goat, about all of this, is when a band will announce one show, I freak out, buy tickets, then they announce a second show the night before. It’s happened the last two times Sparks did LA shows, even though I was on the good end of the deal in 2019, second time we just got better seats and made two nights out of it. 

Anyways… Yeah, I want to see the first show in the city I’m closest to. I’m don’t know why, I’m a fuckin freak. But that’s the only thing that annoys me about adding dates. OR, actually, when there’s different support for each date and the other date(s) have better bands. Hate that.

But like I said, I’ve worked in the industry where this is a common thing, for so long, it’s cool just to see, especially when your friend is their booking agent. We’ve had shows booked for two nights or two shows in one day, not done well and had to cancel the second night, and others come very close to not happening in time. So I’m for it. Just announce the dates in order! Haha

Edited by MyEnemy

I don’t find it annoying per say, but more so logistically the second, unannounced date at start could have worked better. For example that first LA show is Valentine’s Day, so I got a ticket for just me, but I would have not bothered and gotten the 15th because I wouldn’t have to worry about V Day as a challenge. So now I need to sell my night 1 LA ticket. I’m essentially going to plan a trip around that date so it’s nice to have all those dates all at once. Obviously demand is the factor, so I would rather more dates get added later than not at all; that’s how I got to see Jawbreaker recently. So I can’t really complain, but these special reunion shows are a little more obvious for demand. Bands coming back together after one or two decades that are a staple in the scene are gonna sell out quick.