2013 Pitchfork Music Festival (Chicago)

I'll be in Chicago for the week of this festival as well.

As far as the lineup goes, Belle & Sebastian alone is worth the $99 I paid for my three-day pass considering they barely tour the US. Foxygen, Mikal Cronin, El-P+Killer Mike (as Run the Jewels) all put out top 10 albums this year so far (IMO of course). Add Savages, Andy Stott, Phosphorescent, and Autre Ne Veut's solid albums. Then throw in bands that had great albums last year: Swans, METZ, Mac Demarco, Julia Holter, and Toro y Moi. Then round it out with established acts like The Breeders, Low, Wire, and Yo La Tengo. Sounds like a good weekend to me.

Anyway, that's my two cents. I'm personally pretty stoked. Music festival lineups have been getting increasingly stale and recycle the same artists, it's somewhat refreshing to see them do something a bit different this year.

Any good recommendations on things to do from the locals? 

Here are the restaurants we're going to try: 

Girl and the Goat

Chicago Q

Ruxbin

Blackbird

Lou Minalti's

Wiener Circle

Giordano

Al's Beef

The Publican

David Burke's Prime House

Wildberry Cafe (breakfast)

Bongo Room (breakfast)

Nana (breakfast)

Tweet (breakfast)

Longman and Eagle (breakfast)

Someone recommended King Wah BBQ for roast duck, but we weren't able to fit it on the itinerary. Any of these other places worth skipping for King Wah?

As far as things to do, going to:

Shedd Aquarium

Millenium Park

Architectural boat cruise

Jazz at The Green Mill

Navy Pier fireworks

Willis Tower/John Hancock

Lincoln Park Zoo

North Avenue Beach

Also planning to go record shopping at Wicker Park (Dusty Groove and Reckless Records). And I need to find an Intelligentsia somewhere since I'm a coffee nerd and we don't have any of those here.

Any other suggestions you think would be worth checking out??

Thanks!

I know last year Pitchfork did a record fair at the festival. Tons of labels as well as some local stores.

I'll be in Chicago for the week of this festival as well.

Here are the restaurants we're going to try: 

Girl and the Goat Bit overrated. Try the Little Goat instead. It's diner fare, from the same people, without all the pretentiousness of G&G.

Chicago Q

Ruxbin

Blackbird

Lou Minalti's Malnati's. I prefer GIno's East.

Wiener Circle

Giordano Giordano's. Pequod's is also pretty tasty.

Al's Beef

The Publican

David Burke's Prime House

Wildberry Cafe (breakfast)

Bongo Room (breakfast)

Nana (breakfast)

Tweet (breakfast)

Longman and Eagle (breakfast)

Someone recommended King Wah BBQ for roast duck, but we weren't able to fit it on the itinerary. Any of these other places worth skipping for King Wah?

As far as things to do, going to:

Shedd Aquarium Get there right when they open, or you'll be waiting forever. Or come to the planetarium instead, and visit me.

Millenium Park

Architectural boat cruise Absolute must, try to do one of the sunset tours.

Jazz at The Green Mill

Navy Pier fireworks Navy Pier is a giant tourist trap, avoid.

Willis Tower/John Hancock

Lincoln Park Zoo

North Avenue Beach

Also planning to go record shopping at Wicker Park (Dusty Groove and Reckless Records). And I need to find an Intelligentsia somewhere since I'm a coffee nerd and we don't have any of those here. There's a second Reckless and an Intelligentsia right by Millennium Park.

Any other suggestions you think would be worth checking out??

Thanks!

That's a huge list of stuff. How long are you in town for, and are you planning to do all those things? I'm hoping you've already mapped out locations, so you can group restaurants and attractions that are close by, to minimize your time spent traveling around the city.

I know last year Pitchfork did a record fair at the festival. Tons of labels as well as some local stores.

Oh, nice. I didn't even notice that. Will definitely keep an eye out for that at the fest. I'm hoping to snag a locker to store everything in...

That's a huge list of stuff. How long are you in town for, and are you planning to do all those things? I'm hoping you've already mapped out locations, so you can group restaurants and attractions that are close by, to minimize your time spent traveling around the city.

Yerp. We're there from Wednesday to Wednesday, so 8 days/7 nights.

My girlfriend did the planning, and I think she mapped everything out. Here is the schedule of what we have planned so far: https://docs.google.com/file/d/1YQmjLbucGZlvWobu9BGQeAyh1X_zx7pfy7UKfYicybaiDKY6rzmxLt037M7v/edit?usp=sharing

If anyone has suggestions on can't-miss things to replace any of the items on this itinerary, it'd be MUCH appreciated! 

Oh, nice. I didn't even notice that. Will definitely keep an eye out for that at the fest. I'm hoping to snag a locker to store everything in...

My girlfriend did the planning, and I think she mapped everything out. Here is the schedule of what we have planned so far: https://docs.google.com/file/d/1YQmjLbucGZlvWobu9BGQeAyh1X_zx7pfy7UKfYicybaiDKY6rzmxLt037M7v/edit?usp=sharing

If anyone has suggestions on can't-miss things to replace any of the items on this itinerary, it'd be MUCH appreciated! 

I got a locker last year and it worked perfectly. Great purchase and worth doing, fits records perfectly as well.

Couple more suggestions:

You might want to buy your 7 day CTA pass before you leave the airport, because you can't buy them at every L station. If your hotel is close to one of these stations (http://www.transitchicago.com/travel_information/fares/vendingmachines.aspx#pass), then you're ok. Otherwise, you'll have to hoof it to one of them to buy the pass. To be on the safe side, bring exact change. The machines don't give change, and credit card functionality occasionally goes down. Also, you don't need Pace bus access. Those only run out on the edges of the city.

If you don't have reservations at G&tG, you can forget about it. There's a bunch of tasty places nearby; (Little Goat, BellyQ, Au Cheval), but make sure you can get a reservation first.

Hancock has the Signature Lounge bar, but the Sears Tower doesn't have a similar bar. If you want to grab a drink and admire the view, Hancock's your spot.

Greektown is pretty much all restaurants. Not a whole lot to see, other than the Hellenic Museum.

"Walk/shop near South neighborhoods" is pretty vague. There's Chinatown, but not much else to walk/shop around there.

You're obviously staying downtown, so you can save some money by axing all those late night taxis. The Blue line (24 hrs) will get you to/from O'Hare, and back downtown from Bucktown/Wicker Park. The Green and Pink lines (until 1a) run right by the Pitchfork Fest location, and the Red line (24 hrs) will get you back from Lincoln Hall. Use that money to buy more records!

Couple more suggestions:

You might want to buy your 7 day CTA pass before you leave the airport, because you can't buy them at every L station. If your hotel is close to one of these stations (http://www.transitchicago.com/travel_information/fares/vendingmachines.aspx#pass), then you're ok. Otherwise, you'll have to hoof it to one of them to buy the pass. To be on the safe side, bring exact change. The machines don't give change, and credit card functionality occasionally goes down. Also, you don't need Pace bus access. Those only run out on the edges of the city.

If you don't have reservations at G&tG, you can forget about it. There's a bunch of tasty places nearby; (Little Goat, BellyQ, Au Cheval), but make sure you can get a reservation first.

Hancock has the Signature Lounge bar, but the Sears Tower doesn't have a similar bar. If you want to grab a drink and admire the view, Hancock's your spot.

Greektown is pretty much all restaurants. Not a whole lot to see, other than the Hellenic Museum.

"Walk/shop near South neighborhoods" is pretty vague. There's Chinatown, but not much else to walk/shop around there.

You're obviously staying downtown, so you can save some money by axing all those late night taxis. The Blue line (24 hrs) will get you to/from O'Hare, and back downtown from Bucktown/Wicker Park. The Green and Pink lines (until 1a) run right by the Pitchfork Fest location, and the Red line (24 hrs) will get you back from Lincoln Hall. Use that money to buy more records!

Fuck YES. Thanks for the tips. Very helpful to get some good info from a local. 

(I just noticed you commented earlier in the quotes in blue, so thanks for that too). 

We were thinking of doing the Planetarium as well, depending on how we feel so maybe I'll be popping in to say hi afterall. 

And yep, we're staying at the Palmer House right by Millenium Park, and it looks like all the bus lines stop within a couple blocks from our hotel. 

Much appreciated once again! 

Couple more suggestions:

I'll be in chicago the first weekend of August, I'll be staying downtown, the hotel is close to the Nike shop.  What's the closet record store near it and what upscale lounge is worth checking out?

thanks

I'll be in chicago the first weekend of August, I'll be staying downtown, the hotel is close to the Nike shop. What's the closet record store near it and what upscale lounge is worth checking out?

thanks

Closest record store is the downtown Reckless, at Madison and Wabash, but it's pretty small. Can't speak to upscale lounges; my snazzy nightclubbing days were over long before I moved here.

EDIT: Jazz Record Mart is actually closer, but they only stock jazz/blues and some gospel. Not normal VC fare.

Closest record store is the downtown Reckless, at Madison and Wabash, but it's pretty small. Can't speak to upscale lounges; my snazzy nightclubbing days were over long before I moved here.

EDIT: Jazz Record Mart is actually closer, but they only stock jazz/blues and some gospel. Not normal VC fare.

Any record store that's good with hip hop vinyl? And lollapolozza is that weekend, do you know of they doing special with records like pitchfork festival?

Last year Lolla had a tent where you could buy music from the bands playing. they had a good amount of vinyl. pretty sure it was air conditioned. you could also leave your purchases there and pick up at the end of the day, but i think you had to pick up before 10pm, which cut into the headliner sets

Last year Lolla had a tent where you could buy music from the bands playing. they had a good amount of vinyl. pretty sure it was air conditioned. you could also leave your purchases there and pick up at the end of the day, but i think you had to pick up before 10pm, which cut into the headliner sets

FYE runs the record store. Nothing you can't get cheaper on amazon.