2013 Pitchfork Music Festival (Chicago)

i'm sure there's enough to discover and some people are pumped. but it's just not doing it for me. if anyone wants to buy my tickets, let me know.

If your looking for Lolla, this isn't the fest for you. I like the obscure artists I like (Metz/Low/Autre Ne Veut) mixed with a few I like

(R. Kelly/Bjork/Belle and Sab/M.I.A.) but probably wouldn't pay $30 plus to see. Better than paying $300 to just pay another $20

for a bottle of water.

If your looking for Lolla, this isn't the fest for you. I like the obscure artists I like (Metz/Low/Autre Ne Veut) mixed with a few I like

(R. Kelly/Bjork/Belle and Sab/M.I.A.) but probably wouldn't pay $30 plus to see. Better than paying $300 to just pay another $20

for a bottle of water.

i've gone to pitchfork since '07

• 2 months later...

This actually makes me pretty excited.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/food/stew/chi-goose-island-pitchfork,0,5325019.story

The exciting part is the addition of what amounts to almost a “beer stage” at the festival: a specialty bar featuring two beers created specifically for the fest and one handle that will rotate throughout the weekend. It will be the most adventurous beer options Pitchfork has seen in its nine years of existence (which includes the first year when it was known as Intonation Fest).

The two new beers both sound promising for repeated drinking on a hot July day. One is Forcone Session Ale, a pale ale developed by Pitchfork staffers and Goose brewers that clocks in at a festival-friendly 5 percent alcohol.

The other, a collaboration between Goose and Pitchfork performers Killer Mike and El-P, is called Run the Jewels (which is also the name of Killer Mike and El-P’s musical collaboration). It is a 5.4-percent alcohol, dry-hopped Belgian wheat ale.

“These guys know their beer and were very ‘humbled and honored’ to be making one with us,” Ahsmann said. “They really put out some good suggestions as to what they wanted. Killer Mike was talking about how his grandfather was a moon shiner and would have been proud of him.

The rotating beers at the specialty bar will include well-known Goose beers such as Matilda, Sofie, Nut Brown Ale, Honkers Ale, Summertime, Pepe Nero and Pere Jacques, plus some quasi-rarities, like Sofie Paradisi (Sofie with grapefruit), The Illinois (an imperial IPA), 25th Anniversary Ale (an English bitter), Dark Traveler (a dark lager), Golden Goddess (a kolsch) and Cucumbersome Pils (a cucumber pilsner).

• 2 weeks later...

Schedule is out. I still think it's pretty meh but I don't know a good half of the artists. If anyone has any recommendations to keep me from selling my tickets, i'll listen.

Friday, July 19:

Gates at 3 p.m.

8:30 Björk (GREEN)
7:20 Joanna Newsom (RED)
6:25 Wire (GREEN)
6:15 Mikal Cronin (BLUE)
5:30 Woods (RED)
5:15 Angel Olsen (BLUE)
4:35 Mac DeMarco (GREEN)
4:15 Trash Talk (BLUE)
3:30 Daughn Gibson (RED)
3:20 Frankie Rose (BLUE)

Saturday, July 20:

Gates at 12 p.m.

8:45 Rustie (BLUE)
8:30 Belle & Sebastian (GREEN)
7:45 Andy Stott (BLUE)
7:25 Solange (RED)
6:45 Low (BLUE)
6:15 The Breeders play Last Splash (GREEN)
5:45 Ryan Hemsworth (BLUE)
5:15 Swans (RED)
4:45 Metz (BLUE)
4:15 Savages (GREEN)
3:45 Merchandise (BLUE)
3:20 ...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead (RED)
2:50 Parquet Courts (BLUE)
2:30 Phosphorescent (GREEN)
1:55 Julia Holter (BLUE)
1:45 Pissed Jeans (RED)
1:00 KEN mode (BLUE)
1:00 White Lung (GREEN)

Sunday, July 21:

Gates at 12 p.m.

8:45 TNGHT (BLUE)
8:30 R. Kelly (GREEN)
7:45 Glass Candy (BLUE)
7:25 M.I.A. (RED)
6:45 Evian Christ (BLUE)
6:15 Toro Y Moi (GREEN)
5:45 Chairlift (BLUE)
5:15 Lil B (RED)
4:45 Sky Ferreira (BLUE)
4:15 Yo La Tengo (GREEN)
3:45 Waxahatchee (BLUE)
3:20 El-P (RED)
2:50 Blood Orange (BLUE)
2:30 Killer Mike (GREEN)
1:55 Autre Ne Veut (BLUE)
1:45 Foxygen (RED)
1:00 DJ Rashad (BLUE)
1:00 Tree (GREEN)

Saturday looks good with KEN Mode/White Lung/METZ/Trail of Dead and B&S to finish off

Wow... I can't imagine many folks at this festival are going to get into KEN mode during their performance.  They'll be too busy making sure their ironic sunglasses are situated properly on their face and "looking cool" whilst they lay about around in the grass wasting the day.

fyi - I went to pitchfork in 08, 09 and 2010 but after that I was done.  Too hot, too crowded and too few bands that I was even remotely interested in.

I went last year and it was a total blast. Lineup isn't as strong this year but I mean, Mikal Cronin,Julia Holter, Savages,Ryan Hemsworth, Andy Stott, Rustie, Autre Ne Veut, Killer Mike, El-P, Waxahatchee, Toro Y Moi,Glass Candy, and TNGHT makes a fun weekend. Sunday is STACKED, which is weird because Sunday was by far the most boring day last year (except Kendrick and araabMUZIK)

Wow... I can't imagine many folks at this festival are going to get into KEN mode during their performance.  They'll be too busy making sure their ironic sunglasses are situated properly on their face and "looking cool" whilst they lay about around in the grass wasting the day.

fyi - I went to pitchfork in 08, 09 and 2010 but after that I was done.  Too hot, too crowded and too few bands that I was even remotely interested in.

Dang, these are the same three days as the Phish shows. Stay at home, or go to work; either way I'm gonna be hearing a bunch of shitty music that weekend.

<_<

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll be in Chicago for the week of this festival as well.

As far as the lineup goes, Belle & Sebastian alone is worth the $99 I paid for my three-day pass considering they barely tour the US. Foxygen, Mikal Cronin, El-P+Killer Mike (as Run the Jewels) all put out top 10 albums this year so far (IMO of course). Add Savages, Andy Stott, Phosphorescent, and Autre Ne Veut's solid albums. Then throw in bands that had great albums last year: Swans, METZ, Mac Demarco, Julia Holter, and Toro y Moi. Then round it out with established acts like The Breeders, Low, Wire, and Yo La Tengo. Sounds like a good weekend to me.

Anyway, that's my two cents. I'm personally pretty stoked. Music festival lineups have been getting increasingly stale and recycle the same artists, it's somewhat refreshing to see them do something a bit different this year.

Any good recommendations on things to do from the locals? 

Here are the restaurants we're going to try: 

Girl and the Goat

Chicago Q

Ruxbin

Blackbird

Lou Minalti's

Wiener Circle

Giordano

Al's Beef

The Publican

David Burke's Prime House

Wildberry Cafe (breakfast)

Bongo Room (breakfast)

Nana (breakfast)

Tweet (breakfast)

Longman and Eagle (breakfast)

Someone recommended King Wah BBQ for roast duck, but we weren't able to fit it on the itinerary. Any of these other places worth skipping for King Wah?

As far as things to do, going to:

Shedd Aquarium

Millenium Park

Architectural boat cruise

Jazz at The Green Mill

Navy Pier fireworks

Willis Tower/John Hancock

Lincoln Park Zoo

North Avenue Beach

Also planning to go record shopping at Wicker Park (Dusty Groove and Reckless Records). And I need to find an Intelligentsia somewhere since I'm a coffee nerd and we don't have any of those here.

Any other suggestions you think would be worth checking out??

Thanks!