What's your latest purchase?

I keep thinking Im on some other site when I look at this thread.

Think of it like the chill out zone at Glastonbury, we go from the bog standard to the so far out there you need a net to bring it back.

Hey there Allen.  There is solid engineering chops behind the Helius Silver Ruby.  Captured ruby bearings in a tetrahedral formation which is super smooth with no play at all.  It matches up particularly well with the Rock 7.  It's all a month out before I have delivery along with the EAR 912 preamp so will chill out till then :)

Oh I think you'll enjoy it very much, I've heard the standard Omega on a Roksan with a Lyra cart in it and it was a very nice thing indeed. I'm biased though I've been a Helius fan for many years.

Do Nottingham still give you different paddles for the damping trough for different cart compliances? From memory the amount of fluid and the size of the paddle can make huge differences to the sound.

Think of it like the chill out zone at Glastonbury, we go from the bog standard to the so far out there you need a net to bring it back.

Oh nice, always wanted to go to Glastonbury back when I used to get Select magazine in the 90s. :) I just keep imagining random no name punk music playing on those machines and my brain just... yeah does not compute.

Oh I think you'll enjoy it very much, I've heard the standard Omega on a Roksan with a Lyra cart in it and it was a very nice thing indeed. I'm biased though I've been a Helius fan for many years.

Do Nottingham still give you different paddles for the damping trough for different cart compliances? From memory the amount of fluid and the size of the paddle can make huge differences to the sound.

I have no idea about Nottingham turntables...though I have seen them and they look like solid, no-nonsense, good designs!

On the Townshend Rock 7, there is just one kind of headshell paddle that can be adjusted to follow the silicone trough curve properly.

3 ~ 4 weeks out for delivery on the new purchases.  Oh well...

The upgrade bug never stops it just recedes a little every now and then.

I think I would focus on the cart first though you have an absolutely superb phono stage that can cope with much better in the cartridge department, also in a system like yours that can reveal a lot of information MM cartridges can be bright and a little harsh compared to MC's so maybe get a decent high output MC or better still a low output and some decent step up transformers.

thank you. I bought that preamp with the knowledge I could switch carts eventually. I appreciate the info and yes this thread is insane with awesome rigs....good to see nice setups!

I have no idea about Nottingham turntables...though I have seen them and they look like solid, no-nonsense, good designs!

On the Townshend Rock 7, there is just one kind of headshell paddle that can be adjusted to follow the silicone trough curve properly.

3 ~ 4 weeks out for delivery on the new purchases.  Oh well...

Ok you might want to experiment with the amount of fluid in the trough then. I doubt you will find much info about it but download the manual for the Mission 774 (original) tonearm on the vinyl engine as it uses exactly the same principle but at the pivot end of the arm and Mission provided different thickness wands for the fluid trough that were for different ranges of cartridge compliance. Get it wrong with that Mission arm and it sounds average but get it right and it just sings so being at the business end of the arm on the Rock I would have thought the dampening effect would have been amplified, it's sort of a signature for that table as it's been on them from the first incarnation.

Yes Townshend are a proper British no nonsense firm in the best traditions, much like people like Kinshaw, Helius, Michell or SME. No real marketing bullshit just solid products.

A Rock is one of those tables I've heard plenty of incarnations of but never owned one so I'm pretty jealous, those weeks will fly by but let me know your impressions once you've got it settled

Boring story: Replaced Art DJPre II with Schiit Mani. Way better separation. Pushes the music straight into my brain. My wife even thought I upgraded our Taylor Swift wax. (True story, I'm humble enough to say I enjoy that crap)

Nice I might do that some time in the future too. Were you just using the Art DjPre II as is?

Treated myself to a Pro-ject RPM1 Carbon with a 2M Blue for our move into our new house. Our living room is not entirely finished though, so this is just a temporary spot.

V5ZPop7.jpg

Immediately had to get rid of that stock felt mat though, which was horrible.

Also got new speakers and a new amp, speakers are patiently waiting in our basement, while the amp has already had to be sent in for repairs.

I will post a proper picture once everything is set up.

Treated myself to a Pro-ject RPM1 Carbon with a 2M Blue for our move into our new house. Our living room is not entirely finished though, so this is just a temporary spot.

V5ZPop7.jpg

Immediately had to get rid of that stock felt mat though, which was horrible.

Also got new speakers and a new amp, speakers are patiently waiting in our basement, while the amp has already had to be sent in for repairs.

I will post a proper picture once everything is set up.

Thats nice looking. Saving to buy one of these.

Recently bought a 2m red for my current table and just purchased the AKG K533's from massdrop.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice

I had a DD40 with a MA-505 arm on it for a while

I've actually never gotten a chance to hear a Micro Seiki Direct Drive turntable...this one above is a belt drive, BL-91L (Long base) with a SME 3012 Series II tonearm.  Currently running a Shure M97xe with JICO SAS stylus.  Something to tide me over till the Townshend Rock 7 comes in!  Yeah right....I've been chasing a BL-91 for about 6 years.

I've actually never gotten a chance to hear a Micro Seiki Direct Drive turntable...this one above is a belt drive, BL-91L (Long base) with a SME 3012 Series II tonearm.  Currently running a Shure M97xe with JICO SAS stylus.  Something to tide me over till the Townshend Rock 7 comes in!  Yeah right....I've been chasing a BL-91 for about 6 years.

Micro has always been a strange company to me, some of the stuff at the bottom almost seems an insult to the stuff at the top, then the stuff at the top is so beautifully engineered you can't believe it comes from the same place as the stuff at the bottom.

The high end belt drives are particularly special because of main stream Japanese Hifi's insistence on direct drive and then the high end Direct drives are quite something and head and shoulders above all the rest. The MA-505 arm on mine was a work of art and the only arm I know of that you could adjust the VTA as it was playing. I've been looking for a stand alone one for years as the one on mine was built into the table.

The only other Japanese turntable maker I can think of that tried anything different to the main stream was Luxman and that was still many levels below Micro Seiki.

I also had a really early idler wheel drive Micro that came out of the 60's pirate radio stations and that was an absolutely stunning thing, the quality of the arm and main bearing were amazing even by today’s engineering standards and it was so much better than the Garrards, Thorens and Lenco's of the time but it really didn't look anything special.

I think you'll enjoy that Micro very much and especially with that 12" SME arm (that needs a Cardas rewire if it hasn't already had one) and I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts about it in an A/B test against the Townshend.

Got a Musical Surroundings Phenomena II+ for my main setup and then just bought a Thorens TD-160 Super on a whim as a project table.

The TD160 is a very solid base for a project table that you can make into a proper top end table as it's fundamentals are spot on and there are no end of mods you can do to it.

Nice! Love my Phonomena II.

So far I love mine too!

The TD160 is a very solid base for a project table that you can make into a proper top end table as it's fundamentals are spot on and there are no end of mods you can do to it.

Exactly what I'm thinking. It'll arrive tomorrow and replace a debut carbon in my second setup. Excited to start tweaking...

Nice looking late one, what mods do you have planned for it? And how does it sound now compared to the Project?

And give it a service before you do any mods, new belt, bearing oil, set the arm bearings and suspension etc.

Sounds great compared to the Pro-ject. More detailed, but more musical at the same time. I'm stoked.

Definitely will service all the things you mentioned. Will add some new feet, some dampening rings and ultimately would like rewire the arm with Cardas wiring. Was tempted to get a new arm entirely, but I'd like to keep the auto off/lift function. A lot of the typical upgrade/mods have been done in these Super versions, so I don't have to do those.

I also just ordered an AT150MLX for it.  :)