What's your latest purchase?

Soundsmith cartridges are generally very VERY good!  I own a Soundsmith Boheme and it is super involving, bold and highly dynamic.  I don't know where the Boheme stands in the line up, but I am betting you will be very happy with the Otello.  Just match up with a quality phono section.

I wanted to add in that Soundsmith cartridges and VPI tables with their JMW arms are a super synergistic match!

Thanks Shaizada! At the moment I think I'm just going to stick with ordering a 10x5 from another retailer. I have heard many great things about matching my phono stage the P75 mk2 with dynavector cartridges. I want my first upgrades to be a solid baseline, a known good if you will. That way when I start playing with different cartridges and phono stages I have a quality combo to base them off of.

My current cartridge the ortofon red gets lost and seems jumbled with complex music. I never really noticed it before. I guess my ears are learning, haha. Definitely, time for an upgrade! Thanks again for your feedback.

Got the new cart mounted today. Definitely more detailed, even without any break in.

20150812_185710_zpsx8c4o3fh.jpg

Those dynavector carts look quite sexy. I hope one day I have a table worthy of one.

Get him to put his money where his mouth is and do a proper a/b demo for you of the price equivalents from both brands

I wish I had a dealer closer, just for this reason. Really the only reason I chose the 10x5 because I wasn't able to demo any other brands and the dynavector is highly regarded. In the end it worked out, well so far. But, if I was dropping any more money I would have waited till I could do a proper demo. In the end it's whatever sounds better to you.

I wish I had a dealer closer, just for this reason. Really the only reason I chose the 10x5 because I wasn't able to demo any other brands and the dynavector is highly regarded. In the end it worked out, well so far. But, if I was dropping any more money I would have waited till I could do a proper demo. In the end it's whatever sounds better to you.

That's exactly my point, you definitely need to listen to stuff and especially As the cost rises.

I spent a couple hours adjusting my Dynavector 10x5 on my Scout yesterday and today. Mostly, trying to get the VTA set just right. If you have a Vpi and ever thought about getting a Soundsmith counterintuitive weight, do it. It makes adjusting tracking force and VTA a breeze.

After all was said and done, I figured I would spin a record I know very well Sigur Ros's Ágætis byrjun. Holy Shit! I was hearing things I had never heard before and had goose bumps most of the record. Staralfur sounded just amazing. My wife even commented on when the guitar was playing that it sounded as if they were in our living room. :D With only about 15 hours on the cart, it continues to soften and get more dynamic. The 10x5 is an amazing value for the money.

My Dynavector p75 mkII is supposed to arrive tomorrow, very curious how it will change the sound versus the built-in MM phono stage in my Nikko 9095.

I just upgraded from an LP-60 (LOL) to a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon with an acrylic platter. Now I have to buy a pre amp and some decent speakers. Very excited.

There's some guy in the FS with a used phono preamp if I recall. Says he's wanting to offload at a fair price. I've been on the fence about getting the speedbox from him. Scope out your local GWs for speakers. I've seen JBLs and stuff in mine before. I make a point of stopping a few times a week.

Codeine - Box Set

Foo Fighters - Smash It Up (Live '95 Boot)

Black Sabbath - Paranoid (180g Reissuse)

Black Sabbath - Master of Reality (180g Reissue)

Cool shit, but this is the one for gear. More people will see it in the other one if you cross post there because VC general has more readers :P

I still need some Sabbath...

Just purchased an AR EB-101 (later U.S.-made version with proper walnut veneer and armboard) from an ebay seller. It's never been used, and is still in its original box with all accessories -- manual, oil, protractor, and even a tiny screwdriver. I should have it in-hand by tomorrow, but based on the photos, this thing is absolutely pristine. I probably paid too much for it, but I just couldn't pass it up.

Just purchased an AR EB-101 (later U.S.-made version with proper walnut veneer and armboard) from an ebay seller. It's never been used, and is still in its original box with all accessories -- manual, oil, protractor, and even a tiny screwdriver. I should have it in-hand by tomorrow, but based on the photos, this thing is absolutely pristine. I probably paid too much for it, but I just couldn't pass it up.

I have one of those. I love it!

Yea mine has the stock Jelco. Mine was a little beat up when I got it, so I did the vinyl nirvana spring upgrade, pulled and re-lubed the cueing lever, had to solder a broken tonearm connection, pretty basic maintenance. Not really upgrades though. It's kind of become my favorite table. I have a project 1.3 which I don't really have any complaints with, but the AR's practically non existent noise floor makes it seem more musical or something. Hard to put my finger on it.