What's your latest purchase?

I finally used my clamp today. It worked great on one side of the record, the other side still skips like crazy. The warp on it is kind of odd, and seems really sharp on the one side while the other side is more bowled. I don't hear any differences sonically with any other record, so not sure if it was worth it. Not digging the new "cork antistatic" mat either. It's super staticy.

I've got an old clamp from the 70's made by Bib that the Michell ckamp and others are a copy of and I use it as a belt saver on my belt drive decks, you give the platter a helping spin on startup using the clamp and the belt doesn't have to cope with the start up tourqe on the platter stretching it.

Those clamps can help with some minor warps but usually only on one side, the only effective thing I've found for warps is the vinyl flat and it's heating pouch.

And the only material I want platters and platter mats made from is acrylic

I have not seen very many acrylic turntable mats, but I'm certainly going to look into one. I went back to my old cork with dots for now, but can't use the clamp with it.

Thinking of grabbing this acrylic mat http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-WHITE-Acrylic-Perspex-Turntable-Mat-Rega-Linn-Avid-Pro-Ject-VPI-Music-Hall-/400439116943?hash=item5d3c08048f

I wonder if there might be some better options though. Anyone have one?

I have not seen very many acrylic turntable mats, but I'm certainly going to look into one. I went back to my old cork with dots for now, but can't use the clamp with it.

Thinking of grabbing this acrylic mat http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-WHITE-Acrylic-Perspex-Turntable-Mat-Rega-Linn-Avid-Pro-Ject-VPI-Music-Hall-/400439116943?hash=item5d3c08048f

I wonder if there might be some better options though. Anyone have one?

Aren't you currently looking for new tables? For all the money you keep dumping on accessories for your LP120, why don't you put it towards a new table? None of these minor upgrades will make your AT much better. Just my opinion.

Yeah, but it might be a few months out since I just realized how close I am to paying off my student loans. Spending $25 here and there is not causing me much trouble, but a few hundred will.

Edit: Well this is very tempting to dip into my savings, and put off paying off my loans another month for:

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649202670-rega-rp1-turntable-wperformance-pack-and-rb202/

Yeah, but it might be a few months out since I just realized how close I am to paying off my student loans. Spending $25 here and there is not causing me much trouble, but a few hundred will.

Edit: Well this is very tempting to dip into my savings, and put off paying off my loans another month for:

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649202670-rega-rp1-turntable-wperformance-pack-and-rb202/

For that sort of money I wouldn't bother with an RP1, if you really want a Rega get a used Planer 3 and then add an aftermarket acrylic platter but if your vision is a bit wider $600 can buy a lot of table used..

There was a couple of threads on here that I've listed out a selection of the myriad Rega upgrades available if you're set on a Rega though

All very fair points. I think I'll hold off on looking until I have the money on hand and know exactly what I want... unless of course I come across a really good deal.

For that sort of money I wouldn't bother with an RP1, if you really want a Rega get a used Planer 3 and then add an aftermarket acrylic platter but if your vision is a bit wider $600 can buy a lot of table used..

All very fair points. I think I'll hold off on looking until I have the money on hand and know exactly what I want... unless of course I come across a really good deal.

Ummm...I am STILL selling my Rega RP3 with Exact2 cartridge for this very amount of money. So if you're looking for this "really good deal", I would go ahead and buy this 'table from me. Because what dethrock said is true...a $60 record clamp may feel like it's not hurting your bank account...but at the same time all it is doing is keeping you from being able to pull the trigger on a real upgrade.

Just did a bit of end-of-summer purchasing on Canuck Audio Mart:

Shure SE215 IEMs + Shure SRH840 over-ear cans for $160 CAD together ($120 US). Really loving the SE215s. The 840s are sweet sounding, but not sure where I'm going to use them right now.

Hagerman Bugle 2 phono preamp - $150 CAD ($115 US). Just hooked it up replacing a NAD preamp, and I'm already quite impressed - immediate clarity and punchier bass. I'm super excited because I think this gets my turntable setup to a point where I am very happy right now, and will probably not upgrade for a while (Debut Carbon Esprit with Grado Gold1 cart+ Hagerman Bugle 2 phono pre + NAD C326BEE amp + Wharfedale 10.1). 

I paid $700 shipped. More than most unmodified ARs in good to excellent condition go for, but worth it, I think.

Yes it does seem steep but no you don't see them in that sort of condition everyday, either way a very nice table, how does it sound? And are you going to keep it standard or upgrade it at all?

Sadly the EB101 we got here was a much cheaper table and you had to go up to the Legend to get a nice AR, it always seemed short sighted of AR to sell different tables in different markets when the real competition in sprung tables was in Europe and they could have made a much better name from themselves, I suppose it was a case of sending the Legend over to get the praise and the Euro EB101 for the sales.

The Euro EB101 is fine it's just nowhere near as nice as the US one and consequently used to make very good value but now you see them going for relatively silly money compared to what they used to go for.

Yes it does seem steep but no you don't see them in that sort of condition everyday, either way a very nice table, how does it sound? And are you going to keep it standard or upgrade it at all?

Sadly the EB101 we got here was a much cheaper table and you had to go up to the Legend to get a nice AR, it always seemed short sighted of AR to sell different tables in different markets when the real competition in sprung tables was in Europe and they could have made a much better name from themselves, I suppose it was a case of sending the Legend over to get the praise and the Euro EB101 for the sales.

The Euro EB101 is fine it's just nowhere near as nice as the US one and consequently used to make very good value but now you see them going for relatively silly money compared to what they used to go for.

Considering what I paid for it, I think I'll keep it standard for the time being. It would be a shame to start ripping it apart when everything is in such great shape to begin with. I know that tonearm isn't the best, but considering the rest of my current setup, it's more than adequate for my needs. If I do any upgrades in the near future, I'll likely start with the spring and stud kit from VinylNirvana, and then maybe upgrade the motor. 

The table sounds great so far, and I still have some tweaks I need to do. I need to make some adjustments to the springs to get the platter level with the plinth, as it's currently a bit off. I also don't think I did a great job aligning the cart, so I'm going to fiddle with that a bit tonight.

Considering what I paid for it, I think I'll keep it standard for the time being. It would be a shame to start ripping it apart when everything is in such great shape to begin with. I know that tonearm isn't the best, but considering the rest of my current setup, it's more than adequate for my needs. If I do any upgrades in the near future, I'll likely start with the spring and stud kit from VinylNirvana, and then maybe upgrade the motor. 

The table sounds great so far, and I still have some tweaks I need to do. I need to make some adjustments to the springs to get the platter level with the plinth, as it's currently a bit off. I also don't think I did a great job aligning the cart, so I'm going to fiddle with that a bit tonight.

I was hoping you’d say that, it's far too nice to go playing about with.

Might be worth searching out one that's a bit more cosmetically challenged and do some upgrades on that one to see what the benefits really are.

See if you can find the Linn setup manual, it used to be around on the net and the suspension setup info is relevant for all 3 point sprung tables. I've got a hard copy somewhere I could scan in if I can find it and you really get stuck but it's worth digging it out.

Just did a bit of end-of-summer purchasing on Canuck Audio Mart:

Shure SE215 IEMs + Shure SRH840 over-ear cans for $160 CAD together ($120 US). Really loving the SE215s. The 840s are sweet sounding, but not sure where I'm going to use them right now.

Hagerman Bugle 2 phono preamp - $150 CAD ($115 US). Just hooked it up replacing a NAD preamp, and I'm already quite impressed - immediate clarity and punchier bass. I'm super excited because I think this gets my turntable setup to a point where I am very happy right now, and will probably not upgrade for a while (Debut Carbon Esprit with Grado Gold1 cart+ Hagerman Bugle 2 phono pre + NAD C326BEE amp + Wharfedale 10.1). 

I've been looking for a pair of SE215s. I should check out Audio Mart. 

• 2 weeks later...