What's your latest purchase?

Setup my newest table, a Woodsong Audio Garrard 301, Grease Bearing in Hammertone Finish.  In a Woodsong Cocobolo plinth with dual ebony armboards for dual tonearms.  But first tonearm is loaded and running....the Ikeda IT-407CR1 12" Tonearm with an Ortofon SPU Classic GM cartridge.  

29577313393_88e868e11a_b.jpg

On 10/10/2016 at 11:21 PM, Tardcore said:

is there a flat surface in your home that is not covered with turntables?  I want to see a picture of the one you have sitting on top of the toilet.

That sums me up quite well as well, I don't know about covered but there are not many flat surfaces in my house that don't have a turntable on, the Dining table and toilets are about it and the Dining table has been brought into service as a temporary work area on occasion when my wife has been out.

And that Garrard still needs a SME on it, to a British man for that not to be so is an affront to Queen and Country.

We Brits don't get jingoistic about much but a Garrard without a SME well it's just not cricket.

I'm pretty stoked on it.  Should arrive by the end of the week.

Originally was looking at buying a Hugo.  Then looked at the 2qute.  Then read a bunch of people who were using the Mojo in their systems that said it is like 80% of what the Hugo is for waaaaaay less money.  Even read a few that preferred the sound of the Mojo to the Hugo.

Decided for the money it was a no brainer to try the Mojo.  May still end up getting the 2qute down the road and then shifting the Mojo to only mobile use, but for now the Mojo will be my primary dac in my main set up and will also use it for mobile.

Had a Wyred Dac2 in the system, so I'm excited to see how the Mojo stacks up. 

So my Dynavector XX-2 has finally worn out. To get it rebuilt by Dynavector, it costs just a bit less than I paid for it, which isn't a bad deal, I just don't want to spend that kind of cash at the moment. Plus, I want to try something different, so I bought an Audio Technica AT33PTG/II. The damn thing gets rave reviews, and has some similar parts to the XX-2. I'm sure it'll be missing some refinement. I love the XX-2, but it's on to something new.

Next up, power amp.

@shaizada with his Garrard has garnered me into action so I bought a plinth for mine and assembled it with it's SME.

I'll give it a run for a couple of days to check it's all ok then strip it down and re finish the plinth, service the turntable and make another arm board so that I can put my unknown arm on it when I modify it as a 12" arm.

Still a fair amount of work but at least my idler drive is idle no more, it's been sitting around here doing nothing for too long.

DSCF9973_zps6piowxyw.jpg

Edited by allenh
missing an a

7 hours ago, shaizada said:

Wow, that 401!  Superb @allenh I love it...just heard one last week that was redone by Audio Grail in the UK.  It was immaculate.  The sound was unbearably good!  It was setup in a DAS Audio plinth with an SME 3009R.  Such a stunning combination.

Thanks

It does sound nice, your grease bearing is the one you're supposed to have though and I really do regret selling mine so you've got the right one there, the later 301's and 401's are basically the same and it's more cosmetic changes but all of them sound very nice.

Mechanically and electrically mine is perfect and just needs a clean and lubrication but cosmetically there are issues so my plan is to strip it back down, replace the trim, redo the chassis (I might do it piano black as the original colour is difficult to obtain, re finish the plinth in a much darker colour and round the corners off, re finish the platter, get a decent platter mat for it and make a new armboard for it out of acrylic and then work out what to do arm wise, but some or all of that will probably change as the mood takes me.

The good news is that so many have been done now there are lots to get ideas from regarding how I want it to look

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking good Allen.

Audio-Technica is having a warehouse sale on Dec. 9th and 10th at their US headquarters, so hopefully they will have some carts on sale. Hoping to snag an AT440MLb, or maybe one of the MC carts. It's advertised as up to 80% off, which I sure will only be microphones and shit.

18 hours ago, Thomas³ said:

Looking good Allen.

Audio-Technica is having a warehouse sale on Dec. 9th and 10th at their US headquarters, so hopefully they will have some carts on sale. Hoping to snag an AT440MLb, or maybe one of the MC carts. It's advertised as up to 80% off, which I sure will only be microphones and shit.

Thanks I'm much happier with it even if it did cost as much as a reasonable cartridge

Is the AT sale on the web? and if so do you have a link? I need another MC cart

3 hours ago, allenh said:

Thanks I'm much happier with it even if it did cost as much as a reasonable cartridge

Is the AT sale on the web? and if so do you have a link? I need another MC cart

I don't think it's online, only in person at their North American Head-Quarters in Stow, OH. It's only like a 10 minute drive from my house, so I'm going to check it out. I'm honestly not expecting much cart wise, esp. since I can only go on the second day due to work. Day 1 people will probably pick it clean.

On 26/11/2016 at 9:29 AM, Tardcore said:

somebody get Guinness on the horn.  I think I have spotted the world's largest cassette player.

No I think there are bigger ones and that's why I had to spend all this money on furniture, its bloody huge and it won't go in a normal rack but it does sound very very nice and I now know why they sell for such eye watering amounts