What's your latest purchase?

• 2 weeks later...

My long-suffering Marantz SR5008 crapped out on me last week. 

I originally bought it as a refurb and the HDMI card went out on it within the warranty period.  Now, 3 years after repair, it started making the same awful noise. 

I tested running a non-HDMI source through it and had no issues, so I am pretty sure the HDMI card crapped out again.  A little research shows it it seems to be a common issue with this model.

And while my SR5008 may yet enjoy a second life as a desktop amp, I went ahead and picked up a new Marantz SR7012 to take over AV duty.

I have always read people talking about the big difference between Audyssey XT32 that comes with the 70xx series and the more basic correction that comes with the lower end models, but I always dismissed it.   After running setup with my new receiver, I gotta say I am impressed.  The big difference is in the bass.  It is far more subtle now than it ever was with my old receiver.  I know that the sub is on because the bass is there, but it's not like before when it was really obvious and boomy.   I have only watched a few movies so far at relatively low "school night" volumes.  I am looking forward to cranking it a bit over the weekend.

I may have to add a few speakers into my (dated) 5.1 setup to make use of the extra watts I now have available....Currently I only run Center/Rear off the receiver with my Marantz PM8004 powering my fronts.

Current AV Setup:

Receiver - Marantz SR7012

Front Amp - Marantz PM8004

Front Speakers - Monitor Audio RX8

Center Channel - Monitor Audio RX-center

Rear Surround - Monitor Audi RX-FX

Sub - Monitor Audio RX-W12

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/31/2018 at 4:32 AM, andynz said:

Picked up a set of Q Acoustics 3050's today. Very happy with the upgrade from my KEF Q100's (which I thought were great for bookshelf speakers).

Came here to post that I have the 3050i arriving tomorrow! And you don't see too many QA yet since they're a newer company... Anyway I'm pretty amped. What do you think of the sound so far? I wasn't able to go audition a pair as there aren't any dealers near me. Just went by all the positive reviews and awards they've won. Ordered the white version.

Q-Acoustics-3050i-White-Grille-Off.jpg

Also have an Onkyo TX-8270 on the way. Should be a decent upgrade to my AMC 3050a (similar to NAD) with a bunch of modern features. Looking forward to streaming Spotify and FLAC from my desktop PC with convenience. Has chromecast abilities built in and supposedly it has a pretty good 384kHz / 32-bit DAC.

g580TX8270-F.jpg

Otherwise I did pick up my current TT, a ProJect Perspective, a couple months ago and have been loving it. 

AgAriRbl.jpg

9 hours ago, bluescreenlife said:

Came here to post that I have the 3050i arriving tomorrow! And you don't see too many QA yet since they're a newer company... Anyway I'm pretty amped. What do you think of the sound so far? I wasn't able to go audition a pair as there aren't any dealers near me. Just went by all the positive reviews and awards they've won. Ordered the white version.

I think you'll be very happy!

I am really pleased with the 3050's, nice bottom end, crisp and clear mids and highs. I tested the 3050i's as well, but they were a bit out of my budget (65% more expensive); to my ears the bass sounded a better on the 3050i's - mids and highs about the same. The only place I have found my 3050's to be a little lacking is on some jazz recordings around the double bass - but that may be more to do with the recording/mastering/pressing quality than the speakers because hip hop, rock and metal all sounds good with plenty of punchy bass. 

Make sure you give them a bit of distance from the wall to breathe.

Enjoy!

Edited by andynz

21 hours ago, andynz said:

I think you'll be very happy!

I am really pleased with the 3050's, nice bottom end, crisp and clear mids and highs. I tested the 3050i's as well, but they were a bit out of my budget (65% more expensive); to my ears the bass sounded a better on the 3050i's - mids and highs about the same. The only place I have found my 3050's to be a little lacking is on some jazz recordings around the double bass - but that may be more to do with the recording/mastering/pressing quality than the speakers because hip hop, rock and metal all sounds good with plenty of punchy bass. 

Make sure you give them a bit of distance from the wall to breathe.

Enjoy!

I have them out about 10.5 inches from the wall. That should be good right? Q Acoustics recommends 200mm.

19 hours ago, bluescreenlife said:

I have them out about 10.5 inches from the wall. That should be good right? Q Acoustics recommends 200mm.

No it is so-so. But you are equipped with ears.

Take a good recoding with your favourite music that has little base.

This is good training also and cost nothing to get better sound.

1. Put your speakers approx 1m from the wall. Listen to the base notes. They should be thin but distinct and fast but Less hefty.

2. Move your speakers as close to the wall as possible. Now there should be a lot more base then before. But it is now not so defined and muddy.

Here you can go back and forth between 1 and 2 above. To learn and hear the difference and what to listen for.

3. Start at the wall and make sessions there you pull out the speakers from the wall more into the room bit by bit. Now when you know what to listen for you will hear muddiness disappear and more controlled base notes for every bit you take the speakers out from the wall. 

But at a point you feal that to much base information has disappeared. Then it is time to move them back a bit closer to the wall and you are close to fine-tune the distance!

Congratulations you have now a distance that applies to your preferences and type of music with your ears! 

So 200 mm is for those that do not care and do not know why and what the distance is affecting. You want as much SQ you can get from your hard earned money.

39 minutes ago, VinylPlayer said:

No it is so-so. But you are equipped with ears.

Take a good recoding with your favourite music that has little base.

This is good training also and cost nothing to get better sound.

1. Put your speakers approx 1m from the wall. Listen to the base notes. They should be thin but distinct and fast but Less hefty.

2. Move your speakers as close to the wall as possible. Now there should be a lot more base then before. But it is now not so defined and muddy.

Here you can go back and forth between 1 and 2 above. To learn and hear the difference and what to listen for.

3. Start at the wall and make sessions there you pull out the speakers from the wall more into the room bit by bit. Now when you know what to listen for you will hear muddiness disappear and more controlled base notes for every bit you take the speakers out from the wall. 

But at a point you feal that to much base information has disappeared. Then it is time to move them back a bit closer to the wall and you are close to fine-tune the distance!

Congratulations you have now a distance that applies to your preferences and type of music with your ears! 

So 200 mm is for those that do not care and do not know why and what the distance is affecting. You want as much SQ you can get from your hard earned money.

*Bass

On 3/1/2019 at 9:45 AM, Deathbyart said:

Happy with the 3050i? I keep reading good things so I may audtion a set soon. 

Absolutely. I'm enthralled with them! Compared to my vintage DLK speakers I was using previously, the QA have a huge soundstage, detailed and more dynamic bass (I can notice sounds in bass rhythms and melodies that were previously just a thump from the DLKs), and the music sounds like it's present in the air around you rather than coming from speakers across the room. Also noticed the lack of fatigue on the ear when listening at louder volumes. It just sounds better and better as you turn it up, rather than the highs getting distorted and bass becoming either muted or getting in the way of the mids. They're great speakers and I'd highly recommend them. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2019 at 1:43 PM, EGsynergy said:

In the market to replace my onkyo a9050. Any int amp recs under $1k with a nice remote similar to this amp?  Mainly looking to upgrade because mine was damaged during moving.

I had the same receiver and wanted something a little more powerful (also upgraded my turntable to the Marantz TT -15S1 so I wanted to upgrade the receiver at the same time). I ended up buying a Peachtree Nova 150 (info here: https://www.peachtreeaudio.com/nova150-amplifier-with-dac.html) and I'm very happy with it. It has a DAC, MM pre-amp, and a headphone amplifier. It is a little out of your price range, but Peachtree is selling marked down units (usually cosmetic damage) directly on eBay for $1,099 (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Peachtree-Audio-nova150-Integrated-Amplifier-with-DAC/223503587111?hash=item3409da1727:g:~doAAOSwZrhahJF4). I have a separate pre-amp, so I've never used the built-in on the Nova, but I love everything else about it. They are also about to release a Wi-Fi module that will allow direct streaming through the receiver, and existing owners of the Nova will be able to get it at a significant price reduction.

On 5/7/2019 at 12:43 PM, EGsynergy said:

In the market to replace my onkyo a9050. Any int amp recs under $1k with a nice remote similar to this amp?  Mainly looking to upgrade because mine was damaged during moving.

Should list what speakers you're using as well.  Most of the usual suspects in your price range will handle a wide range of speakers but some may not be rated for a 4ohm load.

• 1 month later...

Not vinyl related but I recently added some SVS Prime Elevation speakers to serve as front heights in my AV setup

AV receiver - Marantz SR7012

Stereo Amp - Marantz PM8004 (powering Front L/R)

Front L/R - Monitor Audio RX8

Center - Monitor Audio RX Center

Front Height - SVS Prime Elevation

Surround - Monitor Audio RXFX

Subwoofer - Monitor Audio RXW-12

Sources - Apple TV 4k, PS4