What's your latest purchase?

Power conditioning can make a huge difference to digital TVs. I used to install consumer AVequipment and sometimes it made a noticeable difference, and sometimes I didn't detect any improvement.

Long story: I bought a TV for a buddy of mine and took it home to set it up. I put it next to my TV to try and match the settings. I was getting really bummed because the picture looked very noisy. I then realized I had it plugged in directly to the wall. When I plugged it into the Panamax the noise greatly decreased. The power environment make a huge difference. I lived in an old apartment with pretty poor power at the time. Lots of construction nearby, and because it's an apartment, a lot of noise generating devices nearby. YMMV, but in that scenario I saw first hand how it can improve a noisy power circuit.

I can't say I've heard/noticed a difference in audio equipment, but I haven't really run any a/b or other tests to see.

But also, like I said. I hate the octopus brick. Ugly and hard to manage.

I’ve just bought a Grado 8MZ stylus to put in a spare Grado body I had lying about.

I understand this little trick is common knowledge to you chaps your side of the ocean but it was news to me.

The customs man stiffed me for it coming here from the US so it wasn't as cheap as it should have been but even so for the outlay I have to say it sounds bloody amazing, I know Grado's can be in your face but this is surprisingly good.

I'm going to play with the loading and the VTA a bit as it can get a tiny bit harsh at the very top end on occasion which needs more listening as it could be the source material rather than the Grado but on the whole I'm very impressed.

I understand there is a another better stylus in the range so I might have a go at that one next.

• 2 weeks later...

How do you like it? I've been planning on building my own off the open source schematics but haven't yet committed...

I'm liking it a lot so far. Black background, very wide soundstage, and great separation. It's a nice clean, analytical sound. But that's what I expected, knowing the story behind its creation. I'd definitely recommend it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just picked up these badass interconnects from my work:

http://www.amazon.com/Audioquest-VIC01R-AUDIOQUEST-VICTORIA-RCA-TO-RCA/dp/B005Y9CFFA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401305567&sr=8-1&keywords=audioquest+victoria

While it was only slight, I'm overall really happy with the upgrade. Records now have a little bit better depth and clarity. Now I really need some new speakers.

$300 interconnects? Did you get them for less?

Most definitely. I got them through an accommodation program at my work, and I had some credit saved up from some trainings I had gone to so I got them for practically next to nothing.  No way I'd spend $300 on cables hooked up to a $400 turntable...

• 2 weeks later...

Found (what seems like) a decent deal on a Pionner PL-550 turntable in great condition, just need a new cartridge on it. Has literally had one owner for over 30 years...

I'm excited to test it out side by side with my Debut Carbon and see if it'll be worth keeping. Been thinking about switching to something direct drive with an S-shaped arm for a while and this seemed like a good choice.

Found (what seems like) a decent deal on a Pionner PL-550 turntable in great condition, just need a new cartridge on it. Has literally had one owner for over 30 years...

I'm excited to test it out side by side with my Debut Carbon and see if it'll be worth keeping. Been thinking about switching to something direct drive with an S-shaped arm for a while and this seemed like a good choice.

I've got a PL550 and it just doesn't get used so I keep thinking about selling it but it's such a nice looking and sounding thing it does make it hard, I would be interested in what you think as a side by side comparison with the Project. have you got the acrylic platter on your Project?

I don't have anything here to do that sort of comparison but I would expect the Pioneer to be more speed stable if the electronics are in good shape, the other big difference will be the arm and arm wire and on that you would think modern technology would win through but when I have listened to my PL550 I'm not so sure that will be the case.

Certainly on looks alone I think the Pioneer wins hands down but it's what it sounds like that's important.

Yeah, I'm gonna go strictly based off of sound since that's my main priority, and I happen to like the look of both tables. I do have the acrylic platter, and I'm using a shure m97xe cart on the pro ject since I didn't really prefer the sound of the 2m red when I got the table, although I still have it in a drawer somewhere. I know the 97 isn't the most highly regarded cartridge but I really do enjoy it's more "neutral" sound, but I upgraded it to a Jico SAS stylus as well which helped out on the lackluster high frequencies on the stock stylus.

I'm thinking I'll probably go for another m97 for the time being on the pioneer just to get a fair comparison between the two. I'll be sure to report back with the results, just as soon as I get a day off work to set everything up...

Yeah, I'm gonna go strictly based off of sound since that's my main priority, and I happen to like the look of both tables. I do have the acrylic platter, and I'm using a shure m97xe cart on the pro ject since I didn't really prefer the sound of the 2m red when I got the table, although I still have it in a drawer somewhere. I know the 97 isn't the most highly regarded cartridge but I really do enjoy it's more "neutral" sound, but I upgraded it to a Jico SAS stylus as well which helped out on the lackluster high frequencies on the stock stylus.

I'm thinking I'll probably go for another m97 for the time being on the pioneer just to get a fair comparison between the two. I'll be sure to report back with the results, just as soon as I get a day off work to set everything up...

Curious what you don't like about the Red's sound. Even though it's the entry level it's interesting you prefer the Shure.