What's your latest purchase?

Curious what you don't like about the Red's sound. Even though it's the entry level it's interesting you prefer the Shure.

They're both pretty entry level carts, but basically, the 2m Red was just too bright for my taste. There was too much emphasis on high frequencies which makes a lot of rock and metal albums sound sibilant (to my ears), and on top of that it didn't track inner grooves well at all (both out of the box and after realigning it). All in all I was getting a lot of distortion. Maybe I got a dud or something but I just didn't have the best experience with it, and I kept the shure from an older table, which I like a lot better.

They're both pretty entry level carts, but basically, the 2m Red was just too bright for my taste. There was too much emphasis on high frequencies which makes a lot of rock and metal albums sound sibilant (to my ears), and on top of that it didn't track inner grooves well at all (both out of the box and after realigning it). All in all I was getting a lot of distortion. Maybe I got a dud or something but I just didn't have the best experience with it, and I kept the shure from an older table, which I like a lot better.

Well I've experienced some issue with both IGD and sibilance on my Reds, the IGD a bit more so on records I played on my LP60 but also, on 7"s I've noticed it. And sibilance mostly on particular records. But I know what you mean. Now that I've replaced my red once I'm open to an upgrade if I'm bothered by those problems a lot more in the future.

You're pretty satisfied with the acryl it too?

Not technically a purchase but I got my granddad's old/vintage Yamaha YP511 player and matching receiver (CR-620) - both older than I am having been bought in 1978!  Both huge things but I've wanted them since I was a kid. Must hardly have been used in that 30-odd year stretch as both still in beautiful condition. Oddly enough the complete opposite from the style I would go for if buying myself (that would be a Rega RP1 I think, to start with anyway.)

I definitely prefer the Pioneer to the Carbon at the moment, obviously with the same cartridge it's not an insane amount of difference but it's still noticeable, it sounds a little more full, the dynamics definitely opened up a bit. The most noticeable difference is much less IGD than I was getting with the carbon (even though it wasn't that bad before) but the stylus seems to be tracking a lot better on the pioneer. Also, using the iRPM app on my phone I'm getting a steady 33.3 instead of getting closer to 34 on the carbon.

I did have to push the counterweight what seems like way too far up to get the arm to float, looks funny, but I used two different scales (one analog and one digital) and it's steady at 1.8g (brush down). I figure as long as it's the right vtf and anti-skate set, shouldn't be any problems even though it does look odd.. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that the auto tonearm functions aren't working...

Ok sounds good but there is no auto on it, that's one of it's plus points

I've always wondered how accurate the Project geometry is as so many talk about IGD with them and it can't all be cartridge so that convinces me a bit more that it's not that good.

That Pioneer was quite a way up the food chain when it was made so you would expect it to be good and the 2nd hand values do hold that to be true, you've pretty said what I thought you would sound wise.

I wonder if that cart is too low mass for the arm as you seem to be right at it's limit but if it sounds good don't worry.

AUDIO DESK - VINYL CLEANER RECORD CLEANING MACHINE

audiodesk.JPG?itok=EKluoYC4

I thought my VPI 16.5 cleaning regime was almost perfect and it would be difficult to clean any further.  This machine proved me wrong...it makes records sound quite a bit better still!  Quieter surfaces, more details and simply more music being fetched from the grooves.

Now I get to clean my whole collection again....bitter sweet!  One of the best investments I've made in a while.

My very good friend bought the KLAUDIO ultrasonic cleaner as well...the build quality on that is significantly better and needs only pure distilled water.  However, the counter rotating brushes on the Audiodesk really help with very dirty vinyl.  Both are fantastic machines which get the records cleaner than anything we've used before.

Jesus christ.....  how did you afford that?  I've been dreaming of that machine ever since I heard about the miracles it could produce.

I just put my pennies together in a piggy bank and waited till it was full...wash, rinse, repeat a few thousand times ;)

Frankly, I've been planning to acquire one for a while...ever since I heard first hand what it was able to do.  I just had to have it, it was just a question of timing.  One of the best purchases I've made in a while...it's like having a new record collection waiting to be rediscovered.

That's probably the cheapest thing in his set up.

I own some record turntable center weights that are cheaper!  So not entirely true ;)

That's probably the cheapest thing in his set up.

I thought the exact same thing, and yes it did raise a bit more than a chuckle

Shaizada I hope you realise my wife blames you when she hears me uttering a collection of words that contain "shiny thing" and "must have one of them" after one of your posts.

I've bought all sorts of things since I last posted any pictures so I thought I had better take some of my most recent purchase.

These are L.A.D. (London Acoustical Developments) direct drive DJ turntables and were a very good (I would say way better) alternative to the SL1200/1210 at the time.

They were made in Wembley, London, England in the mid to late 80's and now are sadly very rare because of the use of very nice Jelco arms, people used to buy them just for the arms and throw the rest away without actually trying them.

I've been looking for a pair for years and these came via ebay from the BBC in Bristol and do need a lot of work, both run but I started on the worst one first as the arm was in bits, so I have rebuilt the arm, added a new RCA cable, serviced the electronics and polished the platter, next is to clean up the plinth, rewire and repaint the arm and then start on the other one.

When I was much much younger I used to DJ in a club that had a pair of slightly later ones, basically the same but had sliders for the pitch and the arms were chrome/silver. These two I think are pretty early versions.

lads_zps7a9f0508.jpg

lads1_zps1500cc59.jpg

lads2_zpsceadd154.jpg

I thought the exact same thing, and yes it did raise a bit more than a chuckle

Shaizada I hope you realise my wife blames you when she hears me uttering a collection of words that contain "shiny thing" and "must have one of them" after one of your posts.

I pray our wives don't ever meet.  I'll probably get vaporized! :)

Well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me!!!!

LoL!  Look, I jumped off the deep end years ago...I'm already drowning in it, I might as well enjoy the ride.  I agree, all the main electronics cost more than the Audio Desk, but I do have cables and stuff that cost less.  See you are making me dig my hole deeper now! hehe

Just picked up a pair of Pioneer HPM-100 in EXCELLENT condition, a Technics SL220, a stereo cabinet, a dual tape deck, and a 250' spool of stereo cable for $200 from a family friend moving cross country. Pics coming soon.

Not a bad deal.  Those HPMs are certainly one of the most argued-about speakers on the internet.  Some folks love them, some can't stand them.  They were crazy popular back in their day however.