What's your latest purchase?

• 2 weeks later...

Just got some sound dampening pads for my speakers. I have a less than ideal scenario where my speakers have to be on the same piece of furniture that holds my turntable. These do seem to help, and I also got a set for under my turntable (those will need some work to make fit right, so there's another project). Here's where I got them:

http://www.supersoundproofingsales.com/prodinfo.asp?number=09-00002-2EACH

2013-04-21182409_zpsa99ecf09.jpg

Picked up a Hitachi HT-67 Turntable off Craigslist for $35, just replaced all audio cables with MonoPrice Premium Gold cables and ordered an extra headshell for turntable and a Grado Blue Cartridge.  Been eyeballing a 10.5" Akai GX-635D Reel To Reel a guy has on Craigslist that I may go look at tomorrow and pickup for the outrageously low cost of $175!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks....yes it definitely is a very good cartridge.  I'm putting it through it's paces and seeing how it goes.  So far, it is a very crisp, clear and transparent cartridge.  Very detailed.  Not rich though.  I have two cartridges that have a little more detail BUT offer a very analog, rich listening experience.  The Jan Allaerts and the Van Den Hul Grasshopper III GLA.  

Admittedly, both cost double of the Kleos but there is some extra presentation kudos they earn.  Regardless, the Kleos is quite a stunning cartridge and I'd be very happy with it if it was my only cartridge.  I'm just trying to figure out of there is SOMETHING about the cartridge that I don't already get with my other carts.  I MIGHT just buy a Lyra Kleos Mono cartridge and use that.  The cartridge is very very quiet and that will be awesome for all those mono records.  Lot's to think about.  Enjoying the Kleos right now while I write....

It was very easy to setup as well.  Loved that!

I personally think Lyra is about as good a cartridge as one can buy. That Kleos is a beast.

Have fun. :)

....talk to me about that clamp. Weight? What's the the plates? Price?

I keep trying all different clamps due to the different sonic presentation each gives.  Helps with the different LP masterings in my experience. This clamp is pretty heavy I think.... it's 1 lb 6 Oz.  But those plates are a kick ass technology they built into the clamp.  Basically the metal plates are mated with ceramic ball bearings which mate to the main clamp body.  They dampen the crap vibrations at the LP interface.  

I use the Stillpoints ESS rack and stuff....this isolation technology works so well, I took a leap of faith with the LPI weight.  Music changed radically in my room.  Inner detail is coming out of the speakers like no tomorrow.  Stunning bang for the buck in my setup.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-81990-stillpoints-ultra-lp-isolator.aspx

How would you describe it's effect on sonics? Or is it mainly for helping records sit flat?

It does multiple things...weight helps flatten, but it dampens vibrations, brings out clarity without ANY etch.  It's so smooth, yet detailed.  Hard to explain.  

Here is a review:

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/stillpoints_ultra_lpi.htm

So if I replace my Bren1 Record Clamp for a Stillpoints Ultra LP Isolator, will my music sound $500 better?  ;)

I kid, I kid.  Methinks that if I had more of a disposable income, my audio-related purchases would know no bounds.  Of course, it does bring up some interesting points about the law of diminishing returns.  I would love love love to hear shaizada's system, simply to experience something really high end ... but also to compare it to what I've grown accustomed to, which is decidedly low-to-mid-fi.  No doubt that it would best my gear easily, but I wonder by how much.

Yeah, I've learned that it's never a sound-per-dolar debate, not when you're talknig about serious hi-fi. It's all about "I love my setup, but how can I squeeze just a tiny bit more out of it". I'm not even close to there (yet :D), but I do understand the notion.

At this point for example I could never justify spending $500 on a record clamp, because there are so many other segments I could improve way more for the same cost. But there exists a point where a $500 record clamp IS the best improvement for the cost.

Yeah, I've learned that it's never a sound-per-dolar debate, not when you're talknig about serious hi-fi. It's all about "I love my setup, but how can I squeeze just a tiny bit more out of it". I'm not even close to there (yet :D), but I do understand the notion.

At this point for example I could never justify spending $500 on a record clamp, because there are so many other segments I could improve way more for the same cost. But there exists a point where a $500 record clamp IS the best improvement for the cost.

Yeah, I completely agree, and I'm always trying to work every angle and try new things when it comes to getting the most from my setup.  Unfortunately, at this point $500 is pretty much the limit on what I'm able to spend, and even that's pushing it.  Right now I'm considering a new LOMC cart - possibly the AT-OC9/III - but even that won't necessarily improve things; it will just give me a different flavor than what I'm used to. If I want to really upgrade, it's probably going to be speakers, and possibly even a new amp.

The funny thing is that my two biggest recent improvements have cost me about $65.  $60 for my tech to polish my tt's spindle bearing down to a one micron finish, replace a highly polished steel thrust bearing washer in the main bearing well, and finally, re-crosshatch the main bearing shaft (to better hold a layer of oil in place between the surface of the shaft and bearing well).  Such a simple mod that greatly decreases rumble and vibrations and nearly doubles the elapsed spin-down time of the platter.

And $5 to buy L brackets to anchor my shelf to the wall!

The clamp has been quite an unexpected welcome change in the presentation of the music in my room.  It could have easily been something that didn't work in my setup, but it did.  

The previous comment I just read was so sensible...after a certain point, it's more about how can I squeeze just a little more out of this setup without spending atrocious amounts.  The clamp, in that regard, was a great investment which is giving me back more than I put in.  There is NOTHING in my setup that I can spend $550 on and get this kind of return back.  I've addressed everything I possibly can in my budget.

Probably next big purchase will be speakers...sometime down the line.  Really want to look at the Wilson Alexia's.  I'll think more about it after I go to the SHOW at Newport coming up later this month.  Regardless, need to save up ;)

If someone want's to come over to listen to my setup, I think that can be arranged.  Has to be a weekend...going to India end of this month probably as well for work related stuff, need to factor that in.

Wow, nice one!

Do you perhaps have any experience with the Clearaudio Twister Clamp?

I have no experience with that clamp...though I now have a whole lineup of clamps! Each one does different things and sounds different.

My uncle just got a Clearaudio Ambient Solo table...he doesn't have a clamp but will need one.  Let me know what you think of the twister clamp, it could work well for him too.

Sorry chief, I just never speak about anything I don't have any experience with, nor pass comments on what I THINK it MIGHT sound like.  Makes no sense :)

I have no experience with that clamp...though I now have a whole lineup of clamps! Each one does different things and sounds different.

My uncle just got a Clearaudio Ambient Solo table...he doesn't have a clamp but will need one.  Let me know what you think of the twister clamp, it could work well for him too.

Sorry chief, I just never speak about anything I don't have any experience with, nor pass comments on what I THINK it MIGHT sound like.  Makes no sense :)

Thanks mate, I totally understand :)

I should be getting it soon, if all goes according to plan. I can let you know, but take into consideration that I haven't used any clamp before on my current table. So whatever I say will only be in regards to improvements, not comparison to other similar products.

The Clearaudio Ambient (standard, not the solo version) was actually my first turntable of choice, but I waited for close to a year to find one for sale and none poped up. Cannot really afford to buy new, so I "settled" for the Solution. A great table, but the Ambient is still on my wishlist :D

Pretty stoked I just picked up a Pro-Ject RPM 1.3 for $349 from the Needle Doctor. It will make an awesome second table especially at that price... its an open box floor model but the guy assures me its never been out from behind the glass.. they had a demo of all three colors and the one they played records on was the black. I got the white.. wanted the black but for $150 off of a brand new deck i'm not mad..