What's your latest purchase?

Man, I am having bad luck with this AT440MLb. Took it out of the box, just to look at it and there is not diamond on the cantilever. I've never seen that before. Currently waiting on AT to get back to me on a replacement/warranty etc. Hopefully I can just drive back to their HQ and get it, so I don't have to wait on the mail.

7 hours ago, Thomas³ said:

Man, I am having bad luck with this AT440MLb. Took it out of the box, just to look at it and there is not diamond on the cantilever. I've never seen that before. Currently waiting on AT to get back to me on a replacement/warranty etc. Hopefully I can just drive back to their HQ and get it, so I don't have to wait on the mail.

That sucks. And here you thought you were getting a good deal. 

So, some mixed but mostly good news!

I listened to some Tannoy Revolution XT6Fs (thanks @slinch) and compared them to some Monitor and Cambridge floor standers. The Tannoy was the clear winner. 

The concern now is that my amp won't drive them. The 351a is lower powered at 45w per channel and 8 ohms. From my reading, they would power the Tannoys fine but the chap in RS didn't agree. Any thoughts?  Perhaps the guru @allenh can offer his opinion?

Edited by lastvaultboy

On 10/01/2017 at 5:12 PM, lastvaultboy said:

So, some mixed but mostly good news!

I listened to some Tannoy Revolution XT6Fs (thanks @slinch) and compared them to some Monitor and Cambridge floor standers. The Tannoy was the clear winner. 

The concern now is that my amp won't drive them. The 351a is lower powered at 45w per channel and 8 ohms. From my reading, they would power the Tannoys fine but the chap in RS didn't agree. Any thoughts?  Perhaps the guru @allenh can offer his opinion?

What did they drive them with in Richers when you demoed them? On paper I can see no reason why the Cambridge shouldn't be able to drive them perfectly well, they're nice and sensitive for a big floor stander so I'd expect to be able to drive them with the low end of Tannoys recommendation of 25W RMS with no problems at all. But there are a couple of things here:

Was he just trying to sell you a new amp as well? They do like to sell a package in there

Did they not have a 351 or it's equivalent for you to try them on? They were the UK's only outlet for them after all

That said he should know as they are the UK distributor and Cambridge only quote 45W they don't clarify if thats RMS, Peak or PMPO so it might not be 45W as far as the Tannoys are concerned.

I'm still a little confused as to why they couldn't produce a similar amp to prove it to you with though.

15 minutes ago, allenh said:

What did they drive them with in Richers when you demoed them? On paper I can see no reason why the Cambridge shouldn't be able to drive them perfectly well, they're nice and sensitive for a big floor stander so I'd expect to be able to drive them with the low end of Tannoys recommendation of 25W RMS with no problems at all. But there are a couple of things here:

Was he just trying to sell you a new amp as well? They do like to sell a package in there

Did they not have a 351 or it's equivalent for you to try them on? They were the UK's only outlet for them after all

That said he should know as they are the UK distributor and Cambridge only quote 45W they don't clarify if thats RMS, Peak or PMPO so it might not be 45W as far as the Tannoys are concerned.

I'm still a little confused as to why they couldn't produce a similar amp to prove it to you with though.

Thanks Allen. 

They were demoed on a Cambridge CXA60 (which was very nice). He quoted the price of that but that was as far as he went. 

I suggested that the 351 could drive it but he didn't agree. No 351 there to test as it's discontinued and he wasn't too keen to try it on anything else it seems. To me, 45w would be fine. 

Im considering just buying the speakers and setting them up - no real loss if there is an issue driving them. Appreciate the info and glad my thoughts weren't outlandish!

So to keep you updated @allenh. I spoke to a rep at Tannoy who was extremely helpful and told me he has known 10w run through it and it plays fine. He wouldn't recommend that low, but said he would be happy with 45w going through it and no problems being caused. However he said don't run it too hard (no more than 3/4 up the dial). 

So the Tannoys have been ordered and should be set up over the weekend! Can't wait.

Edited by lastvaultboy

Keeping thing going, I just ordered new mono power amps to replace my Adcom bottleneck in my system. 

Odyssey -Stratos monos heavily modded and upgraded. Had an awesome experience on the phone with the owner discussing his products and gave the green light. Very excited. It will be awhile before I'll get to hear them due to the 8 week build time.  I'll be counting the days.

On 19/01/2017 at 11:14 PM, kannibal said:

Odyssey -Stratos monos heavily modded and upgraded. Had an awesome experience on the phone with the owner discussing his products and gave the green light. Very excited. It will be awhile before I'll get to hear them due to the 8 week build time.  I'll be counting the days.

How many? and if it's more than two are you thinking of going active?

5 hours ago, allenh said:

Ok, any chance of expanding on that number? I have to say it was the biggest step I made going active with a mono block per driver and it was well worth the expense

I don't think so. That would require new speakers. If im happy with the sound of my equipment after this upgrade, the only way I'll change anything else is if I have to due to a part dying. I think I've reached a level of satisfaction that I can enjoy for the rest of my life.

26 minutes ago, kannibal said:

I don't think so. That would require new speakers. If im happy with the sound of my equipment after this upgrade, the only way I'll change anything else is if I have to due to a part dying. I think I've reached a level of satisfaction that I can enjoy for the rest of my life.

Ah ok fair enough if you're happy where you are then I doff my cap to you sir and enjoy your new mono blocks, I guess I experiment a bit more than some, can't help it, if someone tells me there's some wondrous thing I haven't done I have to try it to see for myself.

Well the Tannoys came in and are now set up fully. They sounds fantastic and pleasingly, don't over power the room in any way. 

The only issues I've discovered is that the left channel is quieter than the right by (according to a DB meter) about 7-8db. Having messed around with wires and checking out of phase etc, I think the only thing left to do is reconnect the cart wiring and see if that's causing the problem - fingers crossed.

EDIT: Well, that cabling got me nowhere, all secure and fine. It's definitely an issue with the left channel as when I move the cables for the speakers it doesn't follow the speaker. I'll keep trying things - amazed I never noticed it before.

Edited by lastvaultboy

On 22/01/2017 at 4:18 PM, lastvaultboy said:

EDIT: Well, that cabling got me nowhere, all secure and fine. It's definitely an issue with the left channel as when I move the cables for the speakers it doesn't follow the speaker. I'll keep trying things - amazed I never noticed it before.

Could still be an issue with the cables or the amp or the source then but also your new speakers I bet are quite a bit more sensitive than your old ones so are more likely to show up faults.

59 minutes ago, allenh said:

Could still be an issue with the cables or the amp or the source then but also your new speakers I bet are quite a bit more sensitive than your old ones so are more likely to show up faults.

Cheers Allen. I took the pre amp out the loop and it was still very much a problem.  Rega rep reckons it's something in the arm/cart and is getting it check. We shall see!

• 2 weeks later...

I can get an opened Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Espirit model for DIRT cheap from my work.  I'm thinking of getting it as a backup / secondary table.

The only problem is it looks like this

Pro-Ject-Debut-Carbon-Esprit-SB-Turntabl

Probably one of the worst looking turntable I've come across.  If anything I would figure out a way to re-paint or something.  Just terrible.

There's a George Harrison one that looks as bad if not worse.

You've got options, you could strip it down and spray paint it or even get some iron on wood veneer. They're not hard to take apart and there aren't many bits in reality so I'd buy it and have it as a spring project, a nice deep Mahogany would look rather fetching with the acrylic platter I feel