PO: Bring Me The Horizon - Sempiternal

I didn't imply that you said they were better than Circa... I said it was surprising to hear a Circa fanatic state that BMTH lyrics are "really" good. It still is surprising to me. I love this band, but the lyrics are nowhere near poetic, or "good" in the sense of artistic value. I think it's funny to hear him screaming about pissing on girls and how fucked up he is. It's party music for me. I really got a kick out of you referencing "It Was Written In Blood" as a shining example, because I honestly feel that those lyrics are laughibly bad. Don't get me wrong, I fucking love the song. When the bass line kicks in and drives those verses, my dick always gets hard.

But if you want me to compare them to "bands in the same realm," I will. Converge, Norma Jean, Botch... these bands all have superior lyrics to BMTH. Even Slipknot writes better lyrics.

I enjoy debating music, so don't take me too seriously. I'm sitting at work with nothing better to do.

Please don't put botch or converge in the same group as this band. Neither Deathwish or Hydra Head approve of boys that look like girls playing chug wee chug chug wee.

I get that you can group them together as metalcore or whatever.  [Though I'd argue that Converge and Botch have much more hardcore influence than a mallcore band like BMTH.]  But the caliber between them just makes the comparison moot, in my opinion.  It's like comparing Elisha Cuthbert and Pamela Anderson, just because they're both women and both blonde.

con__26792_zoom.jpgBring+Me+The+Horizon+Suicide+Season.jpg

XKxV.pngXKy1.png

What Ronnie said.

Also. How can you "hate" Converge and Botch, but relish BMTH and their lyrics? I don't even know where to begin with that one.

Because I don't like hardcore in the way you all describe it? Sorry, not sorry. We were having a nice discussion until

boys that look like girls playing chug wee chug chug wee.

I dunno. I think you're wrong on the aspect of the lyrics being nowhere near poetic or artistic. I think a good bit of his lyrics actually are fairly artistic and thought out. He has his own writing style and it's art no matter how shitty lyrics are, but I don't see them as shitty. I see them as usually very dark and dramatic, but like some of my favorite poets.

Middle fingers up, if you don't give a fuck!

I'm sick to death of swallowing every single thing I'm fed.

You think you're changing anything?

Quick! Change everything!

Oh, give me a break you deluded, ireful, self-serving prick.

If you really believe in the words that you preach,

Get off your screens, and onto the streets.

There will be no peaceful revolution!

No war without blood!

You can say I'm just a fool, that stands for nothing.

Well, to that,

I say you're a cunt!

but Derek.... can you name one "mallcore" band with good lyrics? I was trying to point our friend Kevin in the direction of some good metalcore music... y'all already know how I feel about Converge.

Off the top of my head?  I cannot.  But to be fair, I have little to no familiarity with any mallcore bands, period.  I admittedly haven't set foot into a Hot Topic in quite some time... and when I did, I believe I saw some Underoath shirts.  Does that count?

I'm not trying to call anyone out for listening to this band.  If you've got an open mind and an appetite for new music, it makes sense to explore new releases without bias.  But for me - personally - there's no way I could limit my "metalcore" library to something like BMTH, without touching on the classics.

to answer your analogy Derek... yes, you are right. but remember, this is the "Pamela Anderson" thread. so should I have come in here and pointed him to Bridgette Nielsen? I mean.... why not point him to Ms. Cuthbert? sure, the caliber is very different, but that's EXACTLY what I was trying to point out.

BMTH is good. fuck, they are even great at certain things. but the lyrics ARE NOT a part of that greatness. in fact, they prevent many from even being able to take the band seriously. and many more (such as Ronnie) are weeded out by their look. I understand that. But the reality is... all of these bands ARE in the same broad category to the average listener.

9/10 people would hear BMTH and Converge and not be able to distinguish the two. Yes, this is blasphemy to us, but this is what we do and love. most people hear screaming and peace the fuck out.

if you disagree... then explain pop charts. the same fucking song is on there 40 times. just with a different title and "face."

Off the top of my head? I cannot. But to be fair, I have little to no familiarity with any mallcore bands, period. I admittedly haven't set foot into a Hot Topic in quite some time... and when I did, I believe I saw some Underoath shirts. Does that count?

I'm not trying to call anyone out for listening to this band. If you've got an open mind and an appetite for new music, it makes sense to explore new releases without bias. But for me - personally - there's no way I could limit my "metalcore" library to something like BMTH, without touching on the classics.

agreed agreed agreed. I was just trying to help my dude out with some bands to check out that can do more than chug.

but remember, this is the "Pamela Anderson" thread.

This is your most credible point.  Walking into this thread and posting lol Bring Me The Horizon lol is poking at the wasp's nest; even if I had an agenda to shit on the band and all their fans, this would be the last thread I'd carry it out through.  Everyone's entitled to their own opinion.  I will say, though, that poetically "deep" lyrics from BMTH can't even begin to compete with something like Converge's Last LightIf you are listening to this band for the lyrics, please do yourself a favor and grab anything Converge has done in the past 15+ years.  And if you're listening to this band for the musicianship, well... more power to you.

I'd add... if you are listening to this band for the lyrics, I suggest Workaholics for your comedic needs instead.

I enjoy Workaholics.

agreed agreed agreed. I was just trying to help my dude out with some bands to check out that can do more than chug.

I've listened to the bands people on this board to ape shit over, such as Converge and Botch. I'm not ignorant to their existance. I respect them for what they do, as I do 99% of musicians I don't find to my taste, but I can't stand listening to them. It's not my thing. I always appreciate being turned on to new music, and I've found quite a few bands on these forums. Those just aren't my cup of tea. I don't listen to a lot of hardcore or metalcore or mallcore or whatever. I used to listen to a lot of generic metalcore bands. Then I grew up. By generic metalcore, I mean stuff like Of Mice & Men and other annoying things. I still enjoy some stuff people lob in the same category. I'm just extremely picky with it and I can't explain what makes me like a certain band most of the time. It has a lot to do with the place I grew up in and the times I grew up in.

I'm sick to death of swallowing every single thing I'm fed.

You think you're changing anything?

Quick! Change everything!

Oh, give me a break you deluded, ireful, self-serving prick.

If you really believe in the words that you preach,

Get off your screens, and onto the streets.

There will be no peaceful revolution!

No war without blood!

You can say I'm just a fool, that stands for nothing.

Well, to that,

I say you're a cunt!

I've said, multiple times, many, or even most, of their songs are silly or fun or angry lyrics that usually just make me laugh. But I think they have a few songs, especially on There is a Hell, that have some really good lyrics. And that's my opinion. If you disagree, that's totally fine. I'm not trying to convince you that his lyrics are better than anyone else's. I'm just saying that my opinion is that he doesn't get as much credit as I personally think he deserves. Sometimes.

This is your most credible point. Walking into this thread and posting lol Bring Me The Horizon lol is poking at the wasp's nest; even if I had an agenda to shit on the band and all their fans, this would be the last thread I'd carry it out through. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. I will say, though, that poetically "deep" lyrics from BMTH can't even begin to compete with something like Converge's Last Light. If you are listening to this band for the lyrics, please do yourself a favor and grab anything Converge has done in the past 15+ years. And if you're listening to this band for the musicianship, well... more power to you.

I don't enjoy the band for their lyrics. I don't enjoy the band because I think they're anything special in the musician department. I enjoy this band for reason I can't explain. I understand what you guys are saying. I enjoy their lyrics sometimes, and you guys aren't gonna make me not do so by pointing out lyrics I've already ready or citing bands I don't like or enjoy listening to. I'm not trying to defend the band by saying they're anything super special. All I'm saying is that I like them sometimes and I enjoy their more serious lyrics.

Kevin, I challenge you to listen to Axe To Fall 5 times in it's entirety, and read the lyrics simultaneously at least once... I think you'll get it.

edit - now back to the topic at hand... I need to listen to Sempiternal more than once.

If I had the time to do that, I would. But I promise that would make me like them even less. :P If I'm made to listen to something, especially more than once, I can't stand it. I've held grudges against many bands because my friends would play them over and over and I didn't like them. Months or years later, I'd listen again, and love them. That happened with Minus the Bear and Portugal the Man.

well, Converge is a band that you have to seek out. bannon once compared their sound to learning a new language. it takes time. I really had to force myself to get into Jane Doe (my introduction to Converge), and I had it on my iPod for years before I ever made it past Concubine. but at some point, I got tired of seeing all of my then favorite bands wearing tshirts on stage with Jane's face on it and me seeming to be the only one who didn't get it. so, I literally forced myself to listen to the record in it's entirety whilst reading the lyrics. before I knew it.... well.... here I am.

I understand if you don't have the desire to do that. as I said, I did it because my favorite bands influences were all pointing me in that direction. doesn't hurt that I play guitar and Kurt Ballou is probably the best active metal guitarist.

point is... I'm glad I took the time to invest in understanding this band, because at this point, no one else even comes close.