Wow, they sold Sugarcult the lead single from that album? Good for them. Also, I know that getting songs from songwriters is a very common thing but it's still weird to think Sugarcult didn't really write that song.

I gotta say it doesn't surprise me that Tim/Sugarcult didn't write "Do It Alone." The track always seemed to stick out to me for some reason, and I felt it didn't really fit on the album. It's a good track, but it was overtly sexual. And Sugarcult's music has always been sexual, but it was subtle; underneath the lyrics if you will.

I gotta say it doesn't surprise me that Tim/Sugarcult didn't write "Do It Alone." The track always seemed to stick out to me for some reason, and I felt it didn't really fit on the album. It's a good track, but it was overtly sexual. And Sugarcult's music has always been sexual, but it was subtle; underneath the lyrics if you will.

Yeah... this is true. Tim is a great writer though; my old band got to cowrite a lot with him. Wrote our best song with him.

Too bad Sean Kingston stole it from us and we lost in court. :-(

Yeah... this is true. Tim is a great writer though; my old band got to cowrite a lot with him. Wrote our best song with him.

Too bad Sean Kingston stole it from us and we lost in court. :-(

Really? What was your old band/track? Vogue in the Movement/Fire on the Dancefloor?

wait...what?

it's true, sadly. my old band shared management with Neon Trees (Tim writes a lot of their shit.) We co-wrote a song with Tim called "Fire On the Dance Floor." A few months later, we had a meeting with producer Red One and showed him the song...

A few months later, I'm drunk at a party and I hear Sean Kingston's "new hit." It was the worst feeling...

Anyway, we hired a "musicologist" for $800 at the advice of our then attorney, and we lost in court.

Man that's a good track too!

I know... I'm getting bitter thinking about it now.

thekitsch was in the band too... he will share in my frustration when he reads this.

at the very least, we got to work with one of our childhood heroes and that was more rewarding than the success of one song could have brought us.

what WAS cool though: since we sued Kingston, ASCAP froze all of his royalties on the track for like 9 months. so, he dropped another single and moved on. hehe

That's a same, you guys were great, and I'm not really into poppy rock stuff. I actually was introduced to your band because of Tim. I think I'm friend with your summer on Facebook. Haha.

thanks! yeah, that's not my thing anymore either. most of us actually went on to form an also now-defunct post-hardcore band.

but Tim jocked us hard. he's honestly one of the nicest, most genuine and humble people I've ever met.

thanks! yeah, that's not my thing anymore either. most of us actually went on to form an also now-defunct post-hardcore band.

but Tim jocked us hard. he's honestly one of the nicest, most genuine and humble people I've ever met.

Ah, truth. Well what ever you guys do in the future, keep us posted. Very talented set of guys.

I wonder if Tim or anyone else from Sugarcult are on this board. Haha

How is that even fair? There are party/dance club anthems all of the time! There should be plenty of room in the market.

it's not fair at all... but you'd really be amazed at how closely you can plagiarize a song while staying in the legal gray area.

if I remember correctly, the fact that he added the words "shorty" and "burning" to the main hook was all that it took to keep him in the clear.

we actually recorded (illegally) a conversation we had over the phone with Red One after we served him the process papers. he pretty much admitted to stealing our idea and to "get over it." he justified it by saying that he wrote the hook to "Help Me Baby One More Time" and having things like this happen to you is "a right of passage."

that dude is the scum of the pop industry.

it's not fair at all... but you'd really be amazed at how closely you can plagiarize a song while staying in the legal gray area.

if I remember correctly, the fact that he added the words "shorty" and "burning" to the main hook was all that it took to keep him in the clear.

we actually recorded (illegally) a conversation we had over the phone with Red One after we served him the process papers. he pretty much admitted to stealing our idea and to "get over it." he justified it by saying that he wrote the hook to "Help Me Baby One More Time" and having things like this happen to you is "a right of passage."

that dude is the scum of the pop industry.

So exactly what happened? Kingston's people sued your band from going any further? Was Tim upset and did he help fight it at all?

I doubt it will be in that price range. Especially since this band's been out of the spotlight for years now, and seem to be on a permanent hiatus.

I dont think it's going to be 30 bucks. Last year on RSD, Both the limited Anberlin records were 16.99 at my shop if I remember correctly

You honestly don't think Fearless and Sugarcult will look at all the reissues from bands that were the exact same demographic at hot topic/src going for $20-25 in mass quantities and say, "hey, let's make this even more limited by doing RSD and charge a bit more for it?"

I'm also totally down to pay the price that this will be, but i'm just being realistic.

So exactly what happened? Kingston's people sued your band from going any further? Was Tim upset and did he help fight it at all?

no, the musicologist who was hired to determine whether or not the song was plagiarized ruled in Kingston's favor. I should say, Red One's because techinally, for all I know, he might have told Kingston that he wrote it himself. Having said that, Kingston does have a writer's credit on the track.

Tim was imaginably bummed out, as we all were. it was a pretty major defeat for us, since that track had been kept quiet and we were jocking it to many labels and producers. at some point, we just said fuck it and put the song out. didn't have the impact we had hoped though, as you can predict. however, we got to work with Tim a lot more throughout the whole experience and that was great in itself.

now... back to the topic at hand, I'm really hoping they just press this out in black wax. that would go so great with the cover.

You honestly don't think Fearless and Sugarcult will look at all the reissues from bands that were the exact same demographic at hot topic/src going for $20-25 in mass quantities and say, "hey, let's make this even more limited by doing RSD and charge a bit more for it?"

I'm also totally down to pay the price that this will be, but i'm just being realistic.

Maybe. I will be buying, regardless of the price. I'm not worried about paying a few extra bucks for an album I've wanted on vinyl for years.

Yeah, I am really happy this record is happening! I hope it sells well so we will be able to get the next two. I just hope we can get Lights Out being that it was on the now defunct label V2. I do hope Start Static will sell at a reasonable price but if not, I still will most definitely get it!