Transit - Young New England

It seems a lot of people who hate this album were expecting it to be album of the year or whatever. If you go in expecting that the chances are you're always gonna be disappointed.

Did anyone else think there was guest vocalists on half the songs on first listen or was it just me? The albums growing on me after a few listens

i think many of us know the difference between being disappointed by a record and actually listening to a terrible record.

It seems a lot of people who hate this album were expecting it to be album of the year or whatever. If you go in expecting that the chances are you're always gonna be disappointed.

Did anyone else think there was guest vocalists on half the songs on first listen or was it just me? The albums growing on me after a few listens

I agree with you man, I'm still enjoying the A side to the record...listened to it about 7 times today and the songs just keep sounding better..I don't get all of the hate...It sounds like the band had a pretty clear idea of the record they wanted to make and they made it...I'm not saying its going to be the best album of the year but I would certainly pick listening to this over 90% of the rest of the stuff on Rise Records...

I agree with you man, I'm still enjoying the A side to the record...listened to it about 7 times today and the songs just keep sounding better..I don't get all of the hate...It sounds like the band had a pretty clear idea of the record they wanted to make and they made it...I'm not saying its going to be the best album of the year but I would certainly pick listening to this over 90% of the rest of the stuff on Rise Records...

Yeah, I can get people hating the vocals or thinking its a couple of songs too long. But based on how the band changed their sound album to album in the past, this is pretty much what you'd expect them to sound like at this point in their career. I definitely agree that this is the album they wanted to make, for better or worse.

got mine today. Mail-person left it outside and of course it rained so the poster/part of the screen printed cover got wet and dried out so they have that weird wavy look. I do like the special cover, haven't opened the record yet but will listen to it again tonight. I'm a nerd for this stuff but they threw in a couple stickers/guitar picks too which is cool. 

Isn't a dude from Transit in Misser, I would rather have some new Misser out than a Transit "Young New England" tour :D

As for expectations, didn't the thread blow up when they released "Nothing Last Forever" lyric video and we were kind of on the fence about if the record will be as dull and lyrically stupid, but yet catchy.

I think it's fucking hilarious that there's speculation that these dudes are breaking up because of the side bands and putting out a heavily disliked record. Every band has missteps, sometimes these missteps are worked out when band members are able to have that creative output that can sometimes muddle an ambitious record.

A lot of people hated In Reverie when it came out, too. I haven't listened enough to give full judgement. I definitely don't hate it though.

I fucking hated In Rev so much, truthfully it really was a horrid follow up to SWYA. But let's be honest nothing they've done IMO since SWYA has compared. Now, years later, I love In Rev, hell I have it on vinyl and wasn't at all ashamed to drop 50 bucks at the time on it. Look at Weezer's Pinkerton and more recently Brand New's Daisy. I never got into Transit but I listened to this album all weekend long and I really like it. It's got a very Fall in New England feel to it, if that makes sense. I go to Boston/Salem every year with friends for Red Sox games and Halloween in Salem and a big part of me wants to hide this album away until October so it can still be new to me and listen on my drive up. (If this doesn't make sense, I'm a bit drunk right now, sorry)

I fucking hated In Rev so much, truthfully it really was a horrid follow up to SWYA. But let's be honest nothing they've done IMO since SWYA has compared. Now, years later, I love In Rev, hell I have it on vinyl and wasn't at all ashamed to drop 50 bucks at the time on it. Look at Weezer's Pinkerton and more recently Brand New's Daisy. I never got into Transit but I listened to this album all weekend long and I really like it. It's got a very Fall in New England feel to it, if that makes sense. I go to Boston/Salem every year with friends for Red Sox games and Halloween in Salem and a big part of me wants to hide this album away until October so it can still be new to me and listen on my drive up. (If this doesn't make sense, I'm a bit drunk right now, sorry)

I could not agree more that Saves the Day peaked with SWYA, but I really enjoy everything after as well. The more I listen to YNE, a different song jumps out at me as being good. I like this album quite a bit. 

I could not agree more that Saves the Day peaked with SWYA, but I really enjoy everything after as well. The more I listen to YNE, a different song jumps out at me as being good. I like this album quite a bit.

I agree with your YNE comment. The more I listen to it, the more those "unoticable / filler" songs jump out at me a bit more.

Again, still no triumph over L&F... But I like it for what it is.

I hope you're just talking about Weezer and Brand New in relativity to how good they are. I'm not even a Weezer fan (big Brand New fan), but Pinkerton and Daisy aren't bad, they're just [arguably] the "black sheep albums." This Young New England is much different than just a different-ish record in a discography that didn't happen to catch people's attention as much. Right?

With Pinkerton, Daisy, New Again, Invented, etc., they're just typically the album that isn't as popular as the others. If each of those records were put out by a different band, we'd probably love them! Plus, if you're a fan of any of those band, you probably own/listen to the album anyway and the only reason you don't listen to it more is because the rest of the band's discography is amazing. 

With Transit's YNE, it's just super uninspired w/ generic vocals and misplaced whoa's and boring music videos and genre-less guitar riffs and weird-faced vocalists. ;)

I hope you're just talking about Weezer and Brand New in relativity to how good they are. I'm not even a Weezer fan (big Brand New fan), but Pinkerton and Daisy aren't bad, they're just [arguably] the "black sheep albums." This Young New England is much different than just a different-ish record in a discography that didn't happen to catch people's attention as much. Right?

With Pinkerton, Daisy, New Again, Invented, etc., they're just typically the album that isn't as popular as the others. If each of those records were put out by a different band, we'd probably love them! Plus, if you're a fan of any of those band, you probably own/listen to the album anyway and the only reason you don't listen to it more is because the rest of the band's discography is amazing. 

With Transit's YNE, it's just super uninspired w/ generic vocals and misplaced whoa's and boring music videos and genre-less guitar riffs and weird-faced vocalists. ;)

I'm glad you mentioned Invented.  JEW is my favorite band and I felt that I had to spend a lot more time with Chase This Light & Invented to really appreciate it on the same level that I did the second I heard Futures and Bleed American.  Sometimes with certain bands you just need to spend more time with a record to truly be able to appreciate what it has to offer.

I can't say if that will be the case here with Young New England as I still haven't heard it (waiting for my copy), but I hope that it will be a grower because I truly like Transit and I really want to love this record.

I agree with the "In Reverie" and "Pinkerton" statements. This album is a grower for sure, and people like Thomas Nasiff who wrote it off immediately are gonna look like idiots in a few years.

or you'll look like an idiot for thinking that. i guess we'll see.

i for one absolutely despised it on first listen and have no intention of wanting to go back and listening to a poor album ever again.

Yes, I was using Weezer and Brand New as examples but forgot to write the rest of the statement about how Daisy's tide is beginning to turn and it took a few years for Pinkerton's music to win fans over. I truly think that this is Transit's Pinkerton/Daisy. Now, i'll fully admit this is the most I've ever listened to Transit. I never got into the "newer" wave of pop punk (Wonder Years, Fireworks,MOB,TSSF), call me old school but I'll stick with the late 90's, early 00's pop punk albums (basically anything off DTR) however, with that being said, this album is really good. I can totally see where people would say generic/cheesy lyrics because I agree about that. But for what it is, a pop-punk record, I find it to be one of the better one's I've come across out of that aforementioned group. I can't compare this album to their last because I dismissed them early on. I'm sure that the bands I mentioned in the "new wave" of pop punk have put out better albums than this but IMO this is the best I've heard. When it all comes down for me, I look for a fun poppy punk record that will be fun to blast with my windows down and will make me bop my head back and forth. This, right now, is that album. I'm something else will come along in the next two months and blow this one away but for now this album is one repeat on my stereo.