Saddle Creek Records post Pressing Numbers

Kjm23

Hi, I compiled this list. Took forever, and unfortunately it's not complete. But I did the best I could, considering that some old paper invoices have gone missing over the years.

I was surprised at how many copies of Wide Awake, Lifted, and Danse Macabre we've gone through as well.

Someone asked how you can tell the difference between certain pressings that are listed as the same (except for the date). The truth is that you can't, really. One indicator is if the label catalog insert is included, you can get a general idea of the date within a year or so.

And I agree about pressing Black Out. I bring it up every so often, I guess the concern is that we'd be sitting on them forever. I think they would sell well, there's definitely a pent-up demand. The question is how big. Maybe when Tim drops his next solo record I'll try pushing for it again.

Anyway, I've added some pressing quantity info to Discogs, but there's still a lot to do. Another big project is splitting up release entries for records with multiple versions. Danse Macabre (there's only the first press with the Mark Morris cover listed, and people are selling both cover versions from that entry, Ugly Organ might need another entry, and same with Rilo and a few others. I'm assuming that it's acceptable to have two different entries on Discogs for 1st pressing on std weight, and 2nd pressing on 180?

Anyway, if anyone wants to dig into the list and try to clarify some Discogs entries, that would be awesome. I'll be working on it going forward, but things are super busy around here getting ready for Record Store Day and the new Thermals record!

That's for doing all this! Is there really a new Tim Kasher album on the way, or was that hypothetical?

Well there was that cryptic tweet that read like 'if you liked album of the year, it'll sound like that, if you liked the ugly organ, it'll sound like that, if you didn't buy my solo record, pick it up.'

Well there was that cryptic tweet that read like 'if you liked album of the year, it'll sound like that, if you liked the ugly organ, it'll sound like that, if you didn't buy my solo record, pick it up.'

From Tim's website back in January:

TIM ANNOUNCES MARCH TOUR DATES & NEW SOLO ALBUM IN THE WORKS                                   

Tim has announced a new run of solo tour dates in March. The tour will begin on March 12th at The Space in Hamden, CT and will wrap on on March 23rd at Schuba’s in Chicago, IL, and includes two New York area shows on the 14th at the Knitting Factory in Brooklyn and the 15th at Maxwell’s in Hoboken, NJ. A full itinerary is below.

Kasher is currently getting ready to record the follow-up to his 2010 debut solo LP, The Game Of Monogamy, which earned praise from Alternative Press, The A.V. Club, Ghettoblaster, SPIN, Under The Radar, and USA Today, among others. He’ll be performing new songs in addition to tracks from Monogamy throughout the tour, and an array of friends will back him on varying accompaniment in each city.

Kasher’s most recent album with Cursive, I Am Gemini, was released last February via Saddle Creek.

No problem! It was something we'd wanted to do forever, but seemed there was never enough time. No, I don't think there's any way to distinguish between those pressings of the box set. Only the first pressing with the vertical poster.

Wouldn't the plant where these (and the other titles) were pressed include matrix codes in the dead wax? They couldn't all be same, given the quantity of some of these. Thanks. 

Wouldn't the plant where these (and the other titles) were pressed include matrix codes in the dead wax? They couldn't all be same, given the quantity of some of these. Thanks. 

That is definitely possible. Unfortunately I don't have all of the pressing versions to be able to compare the matrices. I have a couple different pressings of a few titles. I'll take a look at those and see what I can find out.

I will admit that matrix inscriptions have always been pretty cryptic to me. They differ from plant to plant, and I have trouble interpreting them in any meaningful way. I'd heard that records inscribed with a "-1" or "(1)" at the end can imply that it was from the first set of stampers. But we've received true first pressings that are marked (2) at the end.

Hi, I compiled this list. Took forever, and unfortunately it's not complete. But I did the best I could, considering that some old paper invoices have gone missing over the years.

Anyway, if anyone wants to dig into the list and try to clarify some Discogs entries, that would be awesome. I'll be working on it going forward, but things are super busy around here getting ready for Record Store Day and the new Thermals record!

Thanks for your hard work!

Speaking of the Thermals record, do you have a sense of the pressing number for the Thermal reissues that are going to be released soon?

CRITERIA! "When we Break" 1/1000.

so sad that Steve Pedersen was so smart he'd rather be a lawyer than a rock star.

I really wish Saddle Creek would release 'En Garde' on vinyl.

Regarding the Maria Taylor and Criteria vinyl pressings, we agree. We just wouldn't want to put them in the budgetary hole doing expensive vinyl pressings that might take a while to sell through. I think Maria Taylor especially tends to have more of a CD-buying fan base.

Legitimate question: Would Saddle Creek ever consider licensing that Criteria record out? It's one of my all-time faves and has been ever since Initial released it a decade(!) ago, and I've always wanted to see it on vinyl, even if it was a super-small run of just a few hundred.

This list is awesome. Thanks so much for compiling it! I had no idea the blueprint cover of the Lullaby single was /100. Wishing I hadn't sold it in my purge now.

And let Scott press that Criteria record. Then let him press Black Out.

Then let ANYONE press the first 2 Cursive albums. (But preferably Scott).

Legitimate question: Would Saddle Creek ever consider licensing that Criteria record out? It's one of my all-time faves and has been ever since Initial released it a decade(!) ago, and I've always wanted to see it on vinyl, even if it was a super-small run of just a few hundred.

We actually licensed En Garde from Initial Records, which from their website appear to be no longer active. I'm not sure what the deal would be with it at this point, who owns what rights, the master, etc. Your best bet is to email info *at* saddle-creek *dot* com, and we'll try to get you an answer. Thanks!

As far as Black Out and the first couple Cursive records, I think those are going to happen at some point. Can't promise anything, but I'm definitely pushing for it!

We actually licensed En Garde from Initial Records, which from their website appear to be no longer active. I'm not sure what the deal would be with it at this point, who owns what rights, the master, etc. Your best bet is to email info *at* saddle-creek *dot* com, and we'll try to get you an answer. Thanks!

As far as Black Out and the first couple Cursive records, I think those are going to happen at some point. Can't promise anything, but I'm definitely pushing for it!

Ah, I thought you bought the masters from Initial outright, I didn't know you just licensed it. I can't remember, do you guys control the first Good Life album or is that still on Better Looking?

Ah, I thought you bought the masters from Initial outright, I didn't know you just licensed it. I can't remember, do you guys control the first Good Life album or is that still on Better Looking?

You could definitely be right, I'm way out of my area of expertise here. Not sure about the first Good Life album, but I think that one is still on Better Looking.