Kickstarter for 2nd Gen Bugle Preamp

For anyone who is looking for a really nice-sounding preamp at an affordable price, you might consider the 2nd generation of the Hagerman Bugle.  There's a Kickstarter campaign that just launched.  $100 gets you the kit version of the preamp, which comes with everything you need.  All you'll have to do put the components where they need to go and solder them in place.  I've built three different preamps so far and it's really very easy ... and a lot of fun once you get the hang of it.

You can also pledge $150, which will get you the preamp fully assembled, tested and ready to rock.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1907446723/bugle2-a-diy-phono-preamp?play=1&ref=search

I built the first generation Bugle and in my opinion, it's really hard to get something as nice sounding at that price point.  For anyone using a built-in preamp or the phono stage in you receiver, the Bugle would be a pretty significant step forward sonically.  And for my money, I think it sounds better than its competitors at the $150 - $200 range.

Oh, the majority of the kickstarter money is going to be for customized clear plastic cases for the preamp.  Kind of cool ... so you can see your handiwork.

I really like this.  I plan on getting a second turntable too, and using a MC cartridge.  So this is ideal to start out with, and i get to put my hands on skills to work.  I wonder if i can still decipher those schematics and refresh enough knowledgs to updgrade some components?

I've never heard the Yaquin, so I can't really speak to the difference between it and the Bugle.  I can tell you that the Bugle is a really nice, balanced performer.  It has good, deep bass response, plenty of clarity and detail, and a fairly wide soundstage.  It basically does everything really well.

The Yaquin is a tube preamp, so if I had to guess, I'd say that it has a warm, smoothed-out presentation.  Maybe someone else can add something here.

The Bugle is cheaper, and it's made in America by a well-respected audio company.  The Yaquin is Chinese made ... which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does give me slight pause.

And by the way, you don't really need to be able to decipher schematics to put the Bugle together, or upgrade the components for that matter.  The circuit board does all the work for you.  You'll simply need to install the resistors, caps and op amps where they're supposed to go, and that stuff is clearly marked on the board and in the instructions.  You can obviously purchase higher-grade components as long as you get the values correct.  And you can also experiment with op amp rolling.

It's my understanding that there are plenty of upgrades you can toy with on the Yaquin, and of course there's tube rolling too.

Thanks for the in depth reply! I'm handy with a soldering iron, and I've got a buddy that builds and repairs electronics for a living. So sure both this kit and the yaqin would do me well.

Looks like I'll have to do some further investigating. I'm kind of enamored with the idea of tubes. But really do things myself too.

I'll hunt around for a store that hopefully has a yaqin in stock or even a model it's compared to.

Thanks again!

Very different. I wouldn't unless you can practice on some old pcb boards for a while. It's $50 difference and less chance of your ruining your house down.

One of my co workers said you can buy little do it yourself kits at electronic supply stores like frys. I can practice on that but then I'd end up spending the extra $50 anyway. It would be kinda neat with the clear case and knowing I put it together. I guess in the long run all that matters is the quality...

Is the bugle really that boss or should I hold off on buying a new pre amp? I have $100 and I can either go with this or the dear hunter deluxe package. Both are limited time only deals but there are plenty of other pre amps, I don't want to end up paying $100 just for the 7" set down the road....

I don't know about the Bugle being boss, but I would say that it's totally rad.

If I had to guess, I'm sure that the Bugle V.2 will eventually be available for sale on the Hagerman site.  No clue if it will be for sale in both the kit form and / or as a completed preamp - or if the $100 / $150 price points will remain - but if you skip the kickstarter now, it's not like you'll miss your opportunity to pick one up down the line ... even if it's slightly more expensive

I think it boils down to one thing: how much do you love The Dear Hunter?

On the other side of the coin, how much do you love your gear? I don't think you could buy a nicer sounding preamp for $150 ... or $100 if you can solder and already have the tools.

I don't know about the Bugle being boss, but I would say that it's totally rad.

If I had to guess, I'm sure that the Bugle V.2 will eventually be available for sale on the Hagerman site. No clue if it will be for sale in both the kit form and / or as a completed preamp - or if the $100 / $150 price points will remain - but if you skip the kickstarter now, it's not like you'll miss your opportunity to pick one up down the line ... even if it's slightly more expensive

I think it boils down to one thing: how much do you love The Dear Hunter?

On the other side of the coin, how much do you love your gear? I don't think you could buy a nicer sounding preamp for $150 ... or $100 if you can solder and already have the tools.

Thanks. That's definitely pushing me more towards the pre amp. I do like the dear hunter. I've been a fan since the demos of act 1. I was even the #1 highest ranked person in the street team back before they switched to a different program. Ill probably go with the pre amp though. Wouldn't want to miss that price if it ends up being a $300 pre amp down the line.

• 2 weeks later...