Kickstarter for 2nd Gen Bugle Preamp

Since this thing is going to have a clear casing, anyone know how hard it would be to install some LEDs in it?

It's already got a LED.  You can see it clearly at 2:40 in the video.  It's yellow.

also bearchuck would you say it is manageable to do the DIY kit if I haven't soldered anything before. Im up for the challenge and think it would be fun I would just hate to absolutely destroy it.

If you can learn to solder, then yes, this kit is extremely easy and straightforward.  Give Hagerman a lot credit for making it so beginner friendly.

As for soldering, I think it's something that you can pick up in an hour or two, providing you have decent instruction.  Do you know anyone locally who might be able to give you a quick lesson?    Of course there's youtube videos and whatnot, but when I learned, I found that hands-on experience was the best.

I'm not sure that I'd make the Bugle my first project ... at least not until you feel confident in your soldering skills.  Practice first. Go to Radio Shack, buy a printed circuit board for $2.50 and some cheap resistors and have at it.

If you're looking for a cheap-but-good soldering iron, this thing is the bomb: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=374-100

This is great solder for your project: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062717

Also buy some solder wick for the times you mess up!

It's already got a LED.  You can see it clearly at 2:40 in the video.  It's yellow.

If you can learn to solder, then yes, this kit is extremely easy and straightforward.  Give Hagerman a lot credit for making it so beginner friendly.

As for soldering, I think it's something that you can pick up in an hour or two, providing you have decent instruction.  Do you know anyone locally who might be able to give you a quick lesson?    Of course there's youtube videos and whatnot, but when I learned, I found that hands-on experience was the best.

I'm not sure that I'd make the Bugle my first project ... at least not until you feel confident in your soldering skills.  Practice first. Go to Radio Shack, buy a printed circuit board for $2.50 and some cheap resistors and have at it.

If you're looking for a cheap-but-good soldering iron, this thing is the bomb: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=374-100

This is great solder for your project: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062717

Also buy some solder wick for the times you mess up!

Thanks for the response! I read an update on the kickstarter and Hagerman posted an update saying he was going to include what he considered a good piece of solder in the package.

is it worth it to buy the kit and get solder supplies for someone that has never soldered?  i mean once i solder this thing will i ever use the gun again. 

basically i have no clue what the fuck i would solder in the future, but at the same time i think i want to learn.  i learned to sweat copper and really enjoyed doing that.

is it worth it to buy the kit and get solder supplies for someone that has never soldered?  i mean once i solder this thing will i ever use the gun again. 

basically i have no clue what the fuck i would solder in the future, but at the same time i think i want to learn.  i learned to sweat copper and really enjoyed doing that.

Im in the same boat. Also scared id ruin something and be out $100.

Only you can answer that.  I think it's really fun ... even cathartic, in a way.  Sometimes when I'm working on something, I just zone out and totally immerse myself in the project.  If you enjoy doing manly things, then I would definitely give it a shot.  Beside, it's less than $20 for that soldering station.  It's not exactly a major purchase.

To put it into perspective, I've done lots of projects since I originally put the Bugle together.  I've built two different DIY Low Output Moving Coil Preamps and I've recapped a few pairs of speakers as well.  I've got another preamp kit that I'll probably start working on soon as well.

Oh, what is the deal with choosing my gain settings? Can anyone tell me what the differences are? Is it just like gain on a PA or sound board?

It's just a matter of switching some resistors.  Is Hagerman asking about your gain preference before he sends out the kit?  If not, don't worry about it.  I think that 40 dB is fairly standard and he'll include the right stuff.

I'm halfway tempted to offer my services to someone here ... if only so I can compare the new Bugle to the old version.  I might be willing to put one of these things together if anyone wants to send me their kit.

The only thing is that I can't guarantee any sort of turnaround time.  I mean, putting the thing together will only take an hour or two.  I'm just ridiculously busy right now.

Hey bearchuck, one more question, Im on the fence about this just because I wouldn't get it till late April/May and was wondering what preamp you would recommend in this price range. I wanna start getting my new setup pretty soon.

You won't find anything nearly as good in the $100 range.  If you step up to the $175 - $200 level, I would check out these ...

Cambridge Audio 651P (or the 551P if you don't care about the MC option)

Musical Fidelity V-LPS MKII

DB Systems DB-8

Only you can answer that.  I think it's really fun ... even cathartic, in a way.  Sometimes when I'm working on something, I just zone out and totally immerse myself in the project.  If you enjoy doing manly things, then I would definitely give it a shot.  Beside, it's less than $20 for that soldering station.  It's not exactly a major purchase.

To put it into perspective, I've done lots of projects since I originally put the Bugle together.  I've built two different DIY Low Output Moving Coil Preamps and I've recapped a few pairs of speakers as well.  I've got another preamp kit that I'll probably start working on soon as well.

It's just a matter of switching some resistors.  Is Hagerman asking about your gain preference before he sends out the kit?  If not, don't worry about it.  I think that 40 dB is fairly standard and he'll include the right stuff.

thanks man.   i actually called my father in law who is an electrical engineer and he said he has some pieces i can work on and that he can hook me up with stuff to build one down the road.   i don't NEED a pre-amp right now and he said he would be glad to help me when the time comes. 

i love doing manly things.  the more i know the less i have to rely on someone else.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...