PO: FRANK OCEAN "Channel Orange"

I can't find it anywhere on the site.  Is there a direct link or something or do I just email them and say "hey, I'm going to want this."

it was there a few hours ago, but it looks like they took it down.  the original post said to email [email protected] about it.  the only other info i have is what was posted here: http://modern-vinyl.com/2013/03/30/nostalgia-ultra-being-pressed-for-rsd/

Channel Orange has sold half a million copies and won a Grammy, so that doesn't even make any sense. Likely he has nothing to do with what format his music is released on, and gives zero fucks about how people are listening to his music.

Also you may have missed the part where all copies currently in existence are bootlegs.

Channel Orange has sold half a million copies and won a Grammy, so that doesn't even make any sense. Likely he has nothing to do with what format his music is released on, and gives zero fucks about how people are listening to his music.

Also you may have missed the part where all copies currently in existence are bootlegs.

So there never was an official release?  I thought it was in very limited print at one point because some record store owners near me have claimed to have had it in their stores before

it was there a few hours ago, but it looks like they took it down.  the original post said to email [email protected] about it.  the only other info i have is what was posted here: http://modern-vinyl.com/2013/03/30/nostalgia-ultra-being-pressed-for-rsd/

It was also in one of their newsletters last week:

FRANK OCEAN's DEBUT on VINYL for the first time - PREORDER NOW for RSD:  

frankocean.jpg

Clear Vinyl in full-color picture sleeve, LIMITED to 750 - $24.99

In-store for Record Store Day (Pre-order now by stopping in/calling the shop/emailing [email protected])

Remember the deal? After getting signed to Island Def Jam in late 2009, Frank Ocean felt that he was being so ignored by the system that he decided to give away his debut album, Nostalgia, Ultra, for free on his Tumblr.

Nostalgia, Ultra finds Ocean singing over a mix of original pop-leaning R&B beats courtesy of big-ticket producers like Tricky Stewart (Rihanna's "Umbrella", Beyonce's "Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)") and Midi Mafia (50 Cent's "21 Questions", Justin Bieber's "Down to Earth") as well as some eclectic remakes of songs including Coldplay's "Strawberry Swing", MGMT's "Electric Feel", and, most surprisingly, the Eagles' "Hotel California".

Guest tms2787

It's bullshit, someone on here tried to trade a copy of Channel Orange and he's like "It's pretty rare and goes for quite a bit." And I told him it's also a bootleg and he acted clueless. I'd rather not have a copy of a record than have a bootleg. This isn't Canal Street.

I'm pretty certain Def Jam would like this to be on vinyl, more money in their pocket and they're not going to leave easy money on the table, it's definitely an issue with Ocean not wanting it

in regards to Nostalgia Ultra being released as an official vinyl? 0% chance that will ever happen

I'm pretty certain Def Jam would like this to be on vinyl, more money in their pocket and they're not going to leave easy money on the table, it's definitely an issue with Ocean not wanting it

in regards to Nostalgia Ultra being released as an official vinyl? 0% chance that will ever happen

"Speaking to the BBC's Zane Lowe last month, Ocean said that when he does get his fingers on the record, "It'll be a glorious day for me personally," noting that "I'm actually still designing the packaging for vinyl." August 2012

The issue has to be up at Def Jam level, not Frank as i have read numerous times he is a vinyl fan

"Speaking to the BBC's Zane Lowe last month, Ocean said that when he does get his fingers on the record, "It'll be a glorious day for me personally," noting that "I'm actually still designing the packaging for vinyl." August 2012

The issue has to be up at Def Jam level, not Frank as i have read numerous times he is a vinyl fan

Old news but accurate.  Just don't hold your breath.  I understand that Tyler the Creator's Wolf is due out on vinyl as soon as April 9th (UK pressing, source Amazon.ca Amazon.co.uk).  Link

For me, I'm not too worried about the sound quality.  I'm sure the Channel Orange bootleg sounds fine compared to what an official release would sound like (at least to most people).  I would just rather not waste money on a bootleg if I think that there will be an official release, which I think will happen here.

With Nostalgia Ultra, you can be almost certain that there will be no official release ever, so I'm buying the bootleg.  The sound quality might not be as good as an official release would be, but it's the only way to get it on vinyl and I want it.

I have a bootleg of Channel Orange and to my ears it sounds completely fine. Granted I'm not a mega audiophile.

Yeah, my copy sounds pretty good, to my ears.

It should sound epic.  You know it.  I know it.  Don't kid yourself.

Here's a little remix I did of "Sweet Life".... https://soundcloud.com/firefoxussr/05-sweet-life-multi

With Nostalgia Ultra, you can be almost certain that there will be no official release ever, so I'm buying the bootleg.  The sound quality might not be as good as an official release would be, but it's the only way to get it on vinyl and I want it.

Buy the Miguel record, it's better anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...