THE OFFICIAL EBAY CRAZINESS THREAD

Honestly?  Do what you want.  I've listed items at $1 and let the market determine the value, I've sold things via BIN at an average cost or higher, and I've hooked up members for cheap.  It really just depends on how much you need the money, what you're hoping to get, and what the record is worth to you.  Whatever you decide on, you shouldn't need the VC hive-mind to authorize your decision.  It doesn't sound like you're flipping the album, so it's all good.

Oh fair enough, dude. I don't actually have this issue. It was a hypothetical. Should've made that clearer. Aside from the occasional hook-up, I always start auctions low and sell them for the winning bid. You get close to top value that way, but the market determines the selling price. Plus you determine when you get money unlike with a BIN where you are holding out for a thinner market or the perfect mark. I'm just legitimately curious how other people view this issue.

Oh fair enough, dude. I don't actually have this issue. It was a hypothetical. Should've made that clearer. Aside from the occasional hook-up, I always start auctions low and sell them for the winning bid. You get close to top value that way, but the market determines the selling price. Plus you determine when you get money unlike with a BIN where you are holding out for a thinner market or the perfect mark. I'm just legitimately curious how other people view this issue.

Gotcha'.  Well, in that case, I pretty much feel the exact way you do.  If I ever sell a rare item - which is usually something I don't necessarily want to part with, 99% of the time - I'll set a high asking price and wait it out.  If it sells, cool.  If not, that's also cool.  If I just need to replenish the Paypal funds in a pinch, a traditional auction with no reserve is the way I'd go.  I also seem to have good luck selling things here on VC.

I hate when idiots put a record they cherish for sale at an obscene price, because "I don't want to part with it unless it's for the right price." That's problematic for the market when the record is rare, because other sellers think that's the going price. But sometimes there's such little sales history that a bogus discogs seller is the only reference point.

I hate when idiots put a record they cherish for sale at an obscene price, because "I don't want to part with it unless it's for the right price." That's problematic for the market when the record is rare, because other sellers think that's the going price. But sometimes there's such little sales history that a bogus discogs seller is the only reference point.

I love that they "don't really want" to part with it, yet it's only been handled "once or twice." Priceless indeed.

I should just put all the records I own that I cherish up for $1k. It makes sense and is totally not pointless.