THE OFFICIAL EBAY CRAZINESS THREAD

I'm starting to believe the theory that this is just money laundering.   If you look at the feedback, the same buyer buys a block of items, then a different buyer buys another block of items.  It seems like that would be pretty tedious, but it's pretty clever.  Could also be shill bidding to increase feedback rating.

I'm starting to believe the theory that this is just money laundering.   If you look at the feedback, the same buyer buys a block of items, then a different buyer buys another block of items.  It seems like that would be pretty tedious, but it's pretty clever.  Could also be shill bidding to increase feedback rating.

It makes sense, or it's not improbable. Meth is a big deal in the South as there are a lot of rural areas in which to make the drug without any suspicion, and it's nearby to Knoxville which has the higher crime rates of the area. It seems unlikely that some dude who describes his ebay account with "Me and my wife have been married 8 years. We use e-bay to make a little money on the side. We do our best to be honest and make any buying or selling transaction easy" Would be telling the truth when they are selling items supposedly signed by a lot of well known artists to the same buyers over and over. When one of those buyers is totally "private" on eBay. It would be a really easy way to create a source of false revenue when the IRS comes a knocking wondering how some couple living in rural TN is able to generate such an income without having legitimate jobs. Assuming the theory, of course. 

If the theory that he's money laundering is correct, why be so sneaky with the "some writing on it" line?

The listings are so calculated - the wording, the selection of artists, the way he never trips up and offers something that was issued posthumously with a supposed signature on it - I just can't help but think it's someone who's well aware of what he's doing.

I sent an email to my Ebay rep about it, I'll let you know what they say..

"Dear __________

Thanks for contacting eBay!

Did you know you can list 99 auctions this January for just 1 penny a piece??

Thanks for being a valued member of the eBay community!"

Classic stl_ben

Classic me? I'm not the one doing this.  I was simply stating his listings are vague enough that he has skirting getting in trouble.

Do I think it's right hell no.

Do I think someone dumb enough to buy a record "wrote on" by John Lennon that didn't even come out till after he died may be up for an eBay style Darwin award, yes.

Roughly 25Million+ a year to get on Ebay's radar... but you should already know this

I should? I sell around $200 a month on ebay, so think I have a ways to go before I hit their radar.

(I like that I get a down vote for $200 a month, but not the guy selling $2 Million a month)

[yes I know talking about down votes only leads to more down votes]

I struggled to believe what I was seeing when I first saw this, but I expect ebay are quite happy with the commission they are making.

He is well aware that it's not just "some writing on it", he is committing fraud. I'm sure if eBay searches a bit deeper they will find other issues with his account as well.

Ignorance is no defence in the eyes of the law so yes strictly speaking they are committing fraud but it would depend on who could afford the better lawyer I expect.

And yes it is very calculating, well thought out and I like the money laundering theory as the blocks of feedback are very suspicious, they could of course be a shop somewhere buying up blocks of stuff to sell on with fake accreditation which would make it even more fraudulent.

Classic me? I'm not the one doing this.  I was simply stating his listings are vague enough that he has skirting getting in trouble.

Do I think it's right hell no.

Do I think someone dumb enough to buy a record "wrote on" by John Lennon that didn't even come out till after he died may be up for an eBay style Darwin award, yes.

I got where you were coming from ben and yes you're right they are doing enough to not break ebay's rules and it doesn't make it any less shitty

Anyone that does actually fall for these auctions though I would worry would have trouble with breathing, if it wasn't a natural reaction that is