THE OFFICIAL EBAY CRAZINESS THREAD

7 hours ago, MyEnemy said:

Just tried to sell something on there for $45 and they wanted to charge $8.50 in fees.

Yep, fuck right off StockX.

It's definitely not conducive to vinyl - everything sold on StockX has to be shipped from the seller to StockX themselves, to be 'authenticated' by the company, then StockX ships the item to the buyer. That's why the fees are so high

Like Reshiram said, it's meant for people flipping sneakers and streetwear, things that are notorious for being faked with near-identical replicas. Why anyone would buy records (especially at such a markup!) on there is beyond me.

3 hours ago, mameeshkamowskwoz said:

This is the height of toomuchery

Vulfpeck song auction

I don't get it. One part of the description says it has long term financial growth potential, and then later they go to great lengths to say the buyer will not receive profits from the song...no money at all. What exactly are they selling then? Does the song exist and the buyer gets to...mess with the song and modify as they see fit before it releases? Or do they just create a song for the album...

My initial thoughts, after reading about their Spotify royalty scheme album, are:

a) this is a publicity/prank/inside joke with their fans and whoever wins will just not pay

b) this is a publicity/prank/inside joke with their fans and whoever wins will just not pay

c) this is a publicity/prank/inside joke with their fans and whoever wins will just not pay

• 2 weeks later...

The other day I sold a record on eBay. Fair price, shipped it, etc. I went to look at their profile because it sounded like a record store, behold he had 5 of the same record as the one I sold him, all listed for $150 more than I sold to him lol. Guys trying to corner the market.

Edited by MCDELTAT

1 minute ago, MCDELTAT said:

The other day I sold a record on eBay. Fair price, shipped it, etc. I went to look at their profile because it sounded like a record store, behold he had 5 of the same record as the one I sold him, all listed for $150 more than I sold to him lol. Guys trying to corner the market.

That's so shady. 🙄

16 minutes ago, MCDELTAT said:

link em and shame em

I’ve long maintained that the bent/crooked record store owners who flips records is a subject ripe for prime time network procedural treatment. 

“Sometimes, record store owners play dirty and flip records to keep their shop afloat and, when that happens, they’ll be there to catch you in the act. This Fall, meet THE VINYL DETECTIVES.”

4 hours ago, MCDELTAT said:

I always do research in sellers so this shit doesn’t happen. If they seem like a collector buying, I’ll let it slide. But if I can tell they’re fucked, cancel that shit.

Edited by MyEnemy

Stockx has worked ok for me to sell a few records on , easy enough to just mark the price higher so that you still get the amount you want.  

Also Vulfpeck rocks, and if you look into their history they have done other schemes against Spotify in the past.  Most notably having silent songs could leave playing all night so they could rack up royalties.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hughmcintyre/2014/07/28/how-a-band-made-20000-on-spotify-from-5-minutes-of-silence/#9c4511f18ed9

2 minutes ago, stl_ben said:

Also Vulfpeck rocks, and if you look into their history they have done other schemes against Spotify in the past.  Most notably having silent songs could leave playing all night so they could rack up royalties.

Now I know you really do suck.

And anyone can do that with any song(s). If you don’t want to hear the same song or album over and over, just turn down the volume. That isn’t a revolutionary “scheme”.