OG pressings of Hum's You'd Prefer an Astronaut available here 2/25?!?!

Whatever. Who cares.

Then why are you trying so hard to defend your position?

I love what this thread became because so much of it is a mute point. The pressing happened and is in peoples' hands. If Sony really is in breach of contract, hum can sue and we will probably never know if they do either way. I wish hum would have just let Robo put this out long ago, but then I guess today's entertainment wouldn't have happened then.

Fucking irony, how does that work?

Lets just establish what exactly "my position" is here:

1. Nobody knows whether it's really a contract violation or not (legally speaking)

2. It's ironic that most of the people throwing a fit about this probably downloaded the album illegally anyway (morally speaking)

People bitch that it took MBV 20 years to put out a new album but thats not long enough for HUM to decide if they want to repress it themselves.

Oh and now they are unwarping 20 year old records. The only thing they are upset is that they werent in on the cash grab.

What I'm saying is no one knows the reason why they couldn't repress the thing. Some bands have to pay a shitload of money just to reclaim ownership of their own music to be pressed somewhere else.

No one knows the details of the contract either. If Hum is saying it's illegal for them to repress this without the band's consent, there is probably some weight behind it. Who knows though, maybe it is just sour grapes. Legal or not though, the band should have been made aware of this deal and should be paid accordingly.

in defense of SRC, the licensing process is very cloudy, when i first started dealing with majors there was a period where i was told their lawyers were clearing everything.. naively i thought this meant all parties involved. I did run into a situation where an album i had licensed no longer was owned by the label, and had i not had the foresight to contact the band involved before pressing it would have been a huge financial disaster. But also the music business is a business, if a band didn't want their musics presentation to be out of their hands, they shouldn't have signed over the rights. Being on a major label is essentially work for hire, if i create something at my job the company has full ownership of that and can do whatever they want with it, and i won't have a message board up in arms about it right?

I'm curious why the band didn't want ROBO to do a repress.  Seems sensible to me, morally I think Matt should have worked a deal instead of selling refurbished records.

I look at it like this: If you had an ebay seller with a vintage "unwarped record" or a new high quality pressing- which one would you choose?  Perhaps its the audiophile in me, I like that the SRC pressing is made from 24-bit masters and manufactured to modern spec.  Buying the unwarped edition with new art I could only buy as a wall-hanging piece of nostalgia/art.

it's ridiculous how often this forum takes speculation for facts. have you tried asking the label if it's the warped stock before jumping to conclusions?

The LEAST you can do when chastising people here for jumping to conclusions is to at least finish reading through the thread before jumping to your conclusion.