So what's with all the damn boxsets lately?  Just in the past few months we've had a NOFX boxset, Rancid boxset, we've had the Bad Religion boxset, and we're getting that Lillington boxset and a TBR boxset.  Is this just a quick way for some labels to make money?  I hate that all of them are pretty limited.  Dropping $100 or $200 on impulse is not easy for me, and I feel like I'm forced to do it if I want the records.  I just wish I had some time to think about it before I pulled the trigger.  It's just frustering for me, that's all.

Anybody else have any thoughts or feelings on this boxset trend?

I think they are meant more so as a means of a fan, who may own zero physical copies, to pick up an entire collection at once. I like them, but I agree that it's pretty tough on the budget. I definitely think the bulk of these are definitely very highly inflated due to supply and demand. Because I'd much prefer to get the most bang for my buck, I tend to pass on box sets. I actually purchased my first one the other night, the Tegan and Sara set; on that note, 100 for 6 records seems steep, but not as steep as some of the prices I've seen as of late.

i dont really see what the complaint is here.

It wouldn't be a problem if I had $100 or $200 to blow through every other month or so.  It's just alot of money to spend at one time, and you pretty much have to do it as soon as it goes up or you're not going to get one.

I think they are meant more so as a means of a fan, who may own zero physical copies, to pick up an entire collection at once. I like them, but I agree that it's pretty tough on the budget. I definitely think the bulk of these are definitely very highly inflated due to supply and demand. Because I'd much prefer to get the most bang for my buck, I tend to pass on box sets. I actually purchased my first one the other night, the Tegan and Sara set; on that note, 100 for 6 records seems steep, but not as steep as some of the prices I've seen as of late.

I purchased this same item a few weeks ago.

While I agree that it's a good way for new fans to get an entire collection, most of these being sold are to people who have all the records anyways.  And they add extra stuff in, so if you're a collector you pretty much have to buy it.  (NOFX boxset has 7iotm 2XLP, Lillingtons and TBR all have unreleased material). 

I'm trying to convince my fiance to let me sell my copy of Death by TV so I can buy the Lillingtons boxset, but she won't let me.  She likes the record too much.  lol

also bronx boxset and alexisonfire

i think is good idea to release boxset from some band who don't exist anymore

not for active band

I didn't even think about the Bronx one!  The only thing I'd really want out of there would be Mariachi El Bronx 1, so if I could get that seperately I'd be good.

I didn't even think about the Bronx one!  The only thing I'd really want out of there would be Mariachi El Bronx 1, so if I could get that seperately I'd be good.

I think I may have an extra copy kicking around at my house. Can't remember if I gave it to my buddy when his house burned down. 

I'll look tonight. 

While I agree that it's a good way for new fans to get an entire collection, most of these being sold are to people who have all the records anyways.  And they add extra stuff in, so if you're a collector you pretty much have to buy it.  (NOFX boxset has 7iotm 2XLP, Lillingtons and TBR all have unreleased material). 

I'm trying to convince my fiance to let me sell my copy of Death by TV so I can buy the Lillingtons boxset, but she won't let me.  She likes the record too much.  lol

The Lillingtons box set doesn't have unreleased material, only material that was never released on vinyl (ie, technically unsound was only released on CD). You can listen to it on youtube if you want. That set is such a great idea. Even if you don't like box sets, it will lead to the prices coming down on the original records. I think it should be at least /1000 instead of /500 but what can you do.

I'm indifferent on the Bottlerocket set. I do agree that box sets should be reserved for bands that are no longer active (or for bands with huge discographies, like NOFX that might never stop making music until they die). But I'm pretty pumped for new songs, in whatever form they come.

I agree with most of what you said.  I dunno.  It's just hard for me to drop $100 or $200 on one purchase like that.  Maybe I'm just not as diehard as some of you guys.

EDIT:  And in case you were wondering, I didn't pay alot for my Death by TV.  Like 7 bucks.  I don't think I've ever bought a single record over $40.  I think the most expensive thing I've bought was the "Skaface" compilation for like $35 or so.  Maybe.

I pull out my box sets far less than my LPs and 7"s. There is an inconvenience to them in as far as my consumer habits are concerned. That's me though and someone else probably finds them a nice way to store things. 

I've sold almost all of my boxes and will be debating hard what to do with the NOFX boxset. 

I will however be getting that Lillingtons Box (hopefully) - thats a discography lacking at my home. I've tried really hard to limit box purchases since I so seldom pull them out. 

I'm so happy for the Lillingtons Box.  Its hard to get any of their albums on vinyl without breaking the bank, so I'm happy to put out the cash for the box set.  I wouldn't have even considered buying the TBR box, as I already have most of their material on vinyl.  Now with the recent news that Live in '06 and a bunch of unreleased material is going to be on it, I think I'll be picking it up for sure.

I like the box sets. I own the Bad Religion box set and that came out at the perfect time for me (only had Dissent of Man). I wanted the NOFX set but had other priorities. I do agree that a lot of unnecessary sets come out. BR and NOFX are perfect cause they have a buttload of albums and the sets encourage listening to an entire catalogue of music, and I think most of us can agree that if that Rancid release was an LP set instead of 45's, that would have been a great idea. Some other bands are due for a somewhat similar treatment. Foo Fighters (maybe... those popmarket deals kill the need but I missed out on that offer) and Nine Inch Nails. I would buy an NIN set with no hesitation. 

Pulling out the BR box to play a record isn't appealing, but it looks like they fixed that with the NOFX set I believe? Comes out horizontally, not vertically, right? 

I can understand wanting to optimize the ease of getting a single record out of a box set but not buying them or not listening to records in them because it takes an extra 20 seconds to pull all the records out and find the one you want is foolishness. If you want the most convenient way to music possible, I would suggest forgetting records and going with an ipod.

Not directing that at anyone in particular. Just saying. And I would agree that the Rancid box set being 45s was a terrible idea. 20 seconds to find an LP is nothing but constantly flipping and switching 45s is ridiculous in the other direction.