I can understand wanting to optimize the ease of getting a single record out of a box set but not buying them or not listening to records in them because it takes an extra 20 seconds to pull all the records out and find the one you want is foolishness. If you want the most convenient way to music possible, I would suggest forgetting records and going with an ipod.

Not directing that at anyone in particular. Just saying. And I would agree that the Rancid box set being 45s was a terrible idea. 20 seconds to find an LP is nothing but constantly flipping and switching 45s is ridiculous in the other direction.

It's cool. I actually listen to them all the time, but whenever I pull out the set the records next to them topple over every time. That's what gets me. I don't own any Rancid records yet (used to collect cds) but a set would be perfect. 

Love box sets, only when its the bands entire catalog and the stuff is hard to come by. The Beatles box set was unnecessary, you can get all those records for cheap since there are so many damn pressings. The nofx box set was great since i didn't have any of their stuff on wax. 

Fucking magnets...

...how do they work? was going to be my sole contribution to this thread after glancing at the title and neglecting every post. But then I figured it'd be beneficial to read everyone's post and chip in two cents that made sense.

And yet here I am. Huh.

I guess I just needed to say that I concur. Completely.

I'm generally okay with box sets. Then again, I'd only ever really need an album or two by a band like NOFX to get all I'd need from them. Fuck single album box sets, like the new Pink Moon, though. Just release that shiz in a standard jacket and price it reasonably. I know that will never happen though. Getting the Goo and Dirty boxes from IVWT, on the other hand, were great. I still need to pick up the Daydream Nation box set.

What i don't get are the people who actually buy a set, then proceed to complain how they really cant afford it and try to sell it right away. Get your shit straight and don't buy something unless you can really afford it. 

Again, I feel a lot of people do this to turn a profit. They're not actual fans.

What i don't get are the people who actually buy a set, then proceed to complain how they really cant afford it and try to sell it right away. Get your shit straight and don't buy something unless you can really afford it. 

Yeah, I've always assumed that the folks with this reasoning only bought the item with the intention of selling it if the resale value is there. The " I can't afford it anymore" line has always translated to me as "I see this is selling for double retail value now and I'd like to cash in."