Bonnaroo 2013

Anyone else going? I've been the past two years and will definitely be there again this year.

The full lineup: Paul McCartney, Mumford & Sons, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, Björk, Wilco, Pretty Lights, R. Kelly, Wu-Tang Clan, Daniel Tosh, The National, The Lumineers, David Byrne & St. Vincent, Passion Pit, The xx, Kendrick Lamar, Grizzly Bear, Animal Collective, Of Monsters and Men, Nas, ZZ Top, Beach House, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Cat Power, Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeroes, A$AP Rocky, Jim James, “Weird Al” Yankovic, Tame Impala, Boys Noize, Glen Hansard, Gov’t Mule, the Gaslight Anthem, Portugal. The Man, Wolfgang Gartner, Billy Idol, Sam Bush & Del McCoury, Dwight Yoakam, Foals, Porter Robinson, Local Natives, Matt & Kim, Dirty Projectors, Trombone Shorty, John McLaughlin and the 4th Dimension, Noam Pikelny & Friends, Amadou & Mariam, Alt-J, Father John Misty, Baroness, The Tallest Man On Earth, Walk The Moon, Preservation Hall Jazz Band, A-Trak, The Vaccines, Earl Sweatshirt, Paper Diamond, Holy Ghost!, Divine Fits, Mike Birbiglia, Purity Ring, Swans, Frank Turner, Big K.R.I.T., Allen Stone, Cults, Lee Fields & The Expressions, Fatoumata Diawara, Two Gallants, The Sheepdogs, Four Tet, Calexico, Japandroids, Death Grips, Conspirator, Wild Nothing, AraabMUZIK, John Fullbright, Django Django, Haim, Killer Mike, Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti, Action Bronson, Clockwork, Twenty One Pilots, Reptar, DIIV, Milo Greene, Lord Huron, Futurebirds, Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit, Charli XCX, JEFF The Brotherhood, Drew Holcomb and the Neighbors, Sea Wolf, JD McPherson, Trixie Whitley, Deap Vally, Patrick Watson, Nicki Bluhm & the Gramblers, The Stepkids, Aoife O’Donovan, Bombino, Bernhoft, Matthew E. White, Ed Helms Bluegrass Situation Superjam with special guests, and Soul SuperJam featuring Jim James with John Oates, Zigaboo Modeliste (of the Meters), Preservation Hall Jazz Band and more.

I went in '09 and have been trying to go back since.

Mike, the biggest complaints I have been hearing about the past couple years is overcrowding, huge lines, poor sound at at least one of the stages each year, and very dusty. Can you comment on any of those? I'd like to know if people are just exaggerating.

Mike, the biggest complaints I have been hearing about the past couple years is overcrowding, huge lines, poor sound at at least one of the stages each year, and very dusty. Can you comment on any of those? I'd like to know if people are just exaggerating.

I would say the first two are staples of summer festivals these days.

I've only been the last two years, but I never had any issues with overcrowding/long lines really that I can remember. There were some long lines for certain food booths (like all the vegan stuff) but I'm not a picky eater so I basically just ate what was easiest for me to get my hands on. I could see that being an issue if you have a certain diet you need to adhere to. 

Two years ago the water lines were awful - there was only one working giant faucet thing at each side of the festival. They definitely knew that was an issue because the last year it looked like they quadrupled the taps they had available.

There were enough beer stands and everything where that I was never on line for more than a couple minutes waiting. The line to get into the festival itself got long, though. If they opened up a few more entrances it'd be a big help.

Dusty-  it was dusty as FUCK two years ago. It was almost impossible to walk through the main gates without a shirt covering your face and glasses. But, they fixed that last year and it wasn't an issue. It also wasn't as dry and hot last year which definitely helped, plus I think they just moved the festival grounds over a bit so that it wasn't on a huge dust field.

I didn't have any gripes about sound on the bigger stages, but a few of the small ones were a little close to the main stages and there was overlap. I saw Gary Clark Jr. at one of the tiny stages and could barely hear a thing the last twenty minutes because they were directly behind the main stage. Ended up just walking off because it was a waste of time.

Overall compared to other festivals I've been to I think Bonnaroo is run the best.

well you got the douche trio. put mumford and sons, lumineers, and monsters of men on a stage with some banjos and save a few slots for better acts.

I back this idea 100%

I was mostly trying to see what it was compared to the normal crowds and waiting. It is expected at every festival like you said.

Compared to my experiences at Lolla, Govs' Ball, Vibes, random NYC festivals, the lines and everything are no worse than Bonnaroo (and better in most cases).

I am thinking about going this year.....and have never been.....do you recommend camping onsite or hotel and commuting in?  Any other tips/tricks would be helpful.

Definitely camp. There's nothing in town at all, and it'd be a hike to get to the site every day.