Judge

kyacrash

I went to whatever one was sold out and they had tickets at the door anyway.

I had a great time but the area I was in was filled with drunk bros just beating down people. It was disgusting seeing people trying to enjoy the show only to have to be rushed out covered in blood. I've been to many hardcore shows and regularly go to TIH in Philly and I have never seen so many people bloodied up and rushed out of the pit ever. People were blatantly trying to hurt each other and had reckless abandon for those around them. I guess next time I'll have to choose the pit away from the bar side. 

I was at the Saturday one with Indecision. Wasn't the craziest bro show I've been to but I agree there was a fair share of craziness. I made a conscious effort to stand in the back for that one. I knew what was coming and I'm way out of shape....

Can't imagine what a Judge show would be like.

Storytime Dave! Enlighten us.

@DeadReckoning - Yeah I was too young for that but apparently the Joint had white power people there at some point according to some of my older friends. Really would have soured me from the scene in Staten Island I was a part of in the early 2000's. Yes, people tell me that wasn't a real scene....

I've told that story many times. It was before Longview hit MTV but they had a great following. I loved Tilt and they killed it that night - their records never did them justice. Greenday played a really long set. The show was just a few days after this huge 2-foot snow that then froze over. It kept most of NJ on lockdown but my friends and I had tickets and snuck out. In the middle of the set the nastiest brawl I've seen broke out involving a couple dozen or more people. Billy Jo started screaming that no one fights at his shows and jumped off the stage to help break it up. It was just so damn violent that security popped open the side doors and people just literally pushed the fight outside. So much blood but it all settled down. Billy Jo got back up on stage and they killed it for another hour or so after that. Its hard to look at him with all that damn make-up on and think he's the same guy from that night. 

They were so good live. Saw them a few times way back then and there is no doubt as to why they've achieved what they did. I remember wearing my Green Day shirt to school the next day and getting picked on for being a fag hippie. I found that shirt recently in my closet and figure I'll keep it in case my kid wants it someday. 

Storytime Dave! Enlighten us.

@DeadReckoning - Yeah I was too young for that but apparently the Joint had white power people there at some point according to some of my older friends. Really would have soured me from the scene in Staten Island I was a part of in the early 2000's. Yes, people tell me that wasn't a real scene....

We went to a bunch of shows at the Rock Palace and there would be some white power skins around. There were a few tense moments. The scariest time at a show was Buzzoven at CBs - because we were scared of the band. They were throwing firecrakers into the crowed. The singer dude was smashing the monitors with the mic stand. Plus, the roadie broke a beer bottle over the head of the singer, who was completely unfazed by it - the girl next to me had to pick glass out of her arm.

I missed GG Allin at the fastlane. However, after been chased through the crowd my friend spent the rest of the show in near tears by the door.

There was such a nasty problem in this region with racist skins back then. I feared for my life of the Hammer Skins that populated the Philly region. Violent dudes who'd turn around and punch you unprovoked simply to score points with their crew. A friend of mine in the band Fury of V wound up just fighting wherever they went. They had this rep as this insane tough guy band, and they were, but someone needed to fight back at some point and they did. The stories are so insane. 

This wasn't however strictly in the Northeast. When I moved to Florida they had it too and my friends who were around in the 80s had the same issue. 

To all the City Gardens vets - any of you attend that infamous Greenday/Tilt show? That one is so firmly ingrained in my mind. Amazing show but that was an insane brawl. I imagine that we were all at some of the same shows. 

I wasn't at that show but I was at Gorilla Biscuits/Burn show where two skinhead chicks fought outside afterwards. These chicks fought like they were heavyweight boxers.

I moved to Florida in the early nineties when ska had gotten big. There was a Skin movement but they weren't violent. They just hung around listening to Screwdriver. The craziest show at the Gardens I have ever been to was the infamous Butthole Surfers show. To this day it is the craziest show I have been to.

It was in 87, I was like 14 my older brother took me to see them since he was really into them. If I remember correctly Ween was one of the openers. The place was packed to the gills and when the Surfers came on they had a topless dancer and I remember it was the first I saw boobs in real life. Gibby sets his arm on fire and I am like that is the coolest thing ever. Then they set the cymbals on fire. It was seriously insane. When the cymbals got hit fire would shoot in the air. At this point they are trying to shut down the show not only because the naked chick but because the fire. The break out extinguishers and are yelling for people to leave. It was like hell, you have Gibby yelling thru a bullhorn and he is on fire and you have drum basically shooting fire. It was like Mondo Bizzaro. My brother grabs me and we try to make out way out they the side door only to see people smashing cars. It was nuts. I really don't know how I survived going there let alone living in Trenton. I didn't think Trenton could get any worse and I went back a few years ago to my old neighborhood in Chambersburg and it was almost unrecognizable.

• 3 weeks later...