The Brand New Thread

I would take a whole album with Welcome to Bangkok/Untitled style instrumentals.

Yes yes yes. It'd be such a troll-move on their part, but I'd love it to death. They did an instrumental interlude into You Won't Know, the last time I caught them, and it was so damn good. They'd never do it, but a guy can dream.

Only tangentially related to BN, but here's an old pic from the first tour that MO did with KDev and BN. There was a huge crowd waiting outside the tour bus waiting for Jesse to grace us with his presence. He never came out, but Andy noticed me apparently from singing along during their set (a rarity at the time) and he called me over and said thanks for singing. Then I got him to sign a poster I took from the venue. He took it inside the bus and got most of the guys from BN and MO to sign it. It was a pretty sweet night.

Also, oh god that hair.

chWWW6H.png

I think it'll be a longer album, closer to the hour mark than the 40 that Daisy was. I think it'll be more mellow, closer to Devil and God/Demos basically. Or maybe that's just what I want.

Jesse has said a couple times that Daisy was as experimental and out there as they were going to get, and newer stuff would be more of a step back. Then again, those interviews were a couple years ago so things could've changed.

Best Brand New moment:

Denver concert in January 2010. They had to cancel the previous October Denver show because Jesse was sick, so this was the make up show.

My friends and I, and some strangers we met in line, were speculating what they'd open with. I think Vices was the consensus. They opened with Jesse on stage, alone, playing Soco Amaretto Lime. It was incredible.

Kind of wish I hadn't given my brand new wants to die shirt to goodwill years ago, my mom used to give me such a hard time about that shirt and my free the West Memphis Three shirt back in high school.

Oh no!!! A shirt showing support for three men in prison for a crime they undoubtedly didn't commit.

I've meet some amazing people there many of which are on this forum.

ahhh the good ol' days

When were you guys a part of it?  I was around the time right before and then after TDAG was released.  Still friends with a few people from it on facebook/follow them on twitter.  

I bet this will probably never happen seeing how Jesse is very self-conscious about the unfinished material, but I think the TDAGARIM demos would make a sick LP release on their own, maybe for record store day or something. Then again, they did include demos from YFW on the reissue. And I guess that he can rationalize it by thinking that everyone who wants to hear these demos has already heard them, so may as well release them in higher quality and officially.

I can tell the 10th anniversary for that album will be sick.

There's also definitely enough b-sides rarities digital only releases and shit like that from their entire career to have a whole LP's worth of material.

Best Brand New moment:

Denver concert in January 2010. They had to cancel the previous October Denver show because Jesse was sick, so this was the make up show.

My friends and I, and some strangers we met in line, were speculating what they'd open with. I think Vices was the consensus. They opened with Jesse on stage, alone, playing Soco Amaretto Lime. It was incredible.

I was at the Salt Lake City show they played the night before that. Truly amazing show. Started it off with Soco as well and I don't think the crowd could have been happier. The energy level at that show was something else compared to the other shows I'd been to. I managed to record the whole show and I listen to it often. One of the best memories of a show I've got.

There was a period of time (around the Devil and God promo) I posted on the BNST a lot. Largely I found it to be one of the more insular forums, though, so I didn't post TOO much.

The best part of BN shows is the immense energy from the crowd. More than any other shows I go to everyone knows all the words and is totally into it.

Wasn't there an interview or something, a while back, where Jesse said he was ready to go back to writing and playing Deja-esque material?

I'm not sure if this is what you're thinking of but, he said on stage one night that hey were going to write some happier songs.. but in an interview he said he was joking and didn't plan on writing happy songs.  Not that Deja is "happy" lyrically though, so who knows.