The Brand New Thread

i never got into brand new, but my roommate used to really like them. my favorite (and only) brand new memory, was in '08 when we were at lollapalooza. i went to go see explosions in the sky (whom my roommate had never listened to) and my roommate went to see brand new. after their first song they said "thanks for coming, but what the fuck are you guys doing here? explosions in the sky is playing right now." my roommate and (he said) thousands of the crowd, then left and headed over to explosions.

i never got into brand new, but my roommate used to really like them. my favorite (and only) brand new memory, was in '08 when we were at lollapalooza. i went to go see explosions in the sky (whom my roommate had never listened to) and my roommate went to see brand new. after their first song they said "thanks for coming, but what the fuck are you guys doing here? explosions in the sky is playing right now." my roommate and (he said) thousands of the crowd, then left and headed over to explosions.

yeah, i would say more than half of their shows that i've been to, they played explosions during intermission.

unlike the first time i saw them, when they played william hung during intermission.

Best Brand New moment:

Denver concert in January 2010. They had to cancel the previous October Denver show because Jesse was sick, so this was the make up show.

My friends and I, and some strangers we met in line, were speculating what they'd open with. I think Vices was the consensus. They opened with Jesse on stage, alone, playing Soco Amaretto Lime. It was incredible.

That show was awesome!

I would go and visit my girlfriend( at the time) at UMASS Dartmouth every week and on the Monday I was going to see her I got a package in the mail. It was TDAG a week or so before the actual release date. So on my drive down to see her I listened to it the whole way, when #6 came on You Won't Know it hit me so hard I had to pull over on I-195 East. I sat there for 3 repeats of the song and then listened to the rest of the cd on my drive to see her. Maybe it's more sentimental for me but "You Won't Know " always brings up good memories for me.

One and only time I ever saw brand new was in 07. we got there very early to be front row. I remember looking at jesse and thinking “this man is insane”. He just lost it on stage. In a good way. Also, hearing him the story behind limousine was haunting.

One and only time I ever saw brand new was in 07. we got there very early to be front row. I remember looking at jesse and thinking “this man is insane”. He just lost it on stage. In a good way. Also, hearing him the story behind limousine was haunting.

have you ever read the news reports and articles? 

there was one night a couple years ago when i was coming home from dinner with my family. 

my street is right off a main road that almost immediately turns into a small strip of state highway. and as we were driving along, someone started driving the wrong way coming directly at us. the entire song, every news report, every time jesse has told the story.. it all played in my head in about a split second. 

fortunately, crisis was averted, but it was terrifying.

there's something so haunting about the ~3 minute mark of that song. which almost feels shallow to bring up, because in the scheme of things, it just makes me emotional over the breakup that i had like a week or two after this came out.

i forgot all about the dashcam. the second it popped up, i could remember the exact sound of that collision.

I live on the island, so when that accident happened, it was big news. And it affected everyone here greatly. I knew people on the jury for the trial. It was just a sick and disgusting accident. Terrible in every way. I can't even use words to describe it. I'm not at all surprised that Jesse wrote a song about it.

What does the MS Rebridge signify in the title?

I stayed and watched Brand New. I am confident I made the right decision, he may have been moody but it was sure fun to watch Jesse flip out, throw his guitar, and walk off stage. Epic raw energy.

I live on the island, so when that accident happened, it was big news. And it affected everyone here greatly. I knew people on the jury for the trial. It was just a sick and disgusting accident. Terrible in every way. I can't even use words to describe it. I'm not at all surprised that Jesse wrote a song about it.

What does the MS Rebridge signify in the title?

MS - Mike sapone